Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 04:09 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ive been going to the same gym now for the last 16 years until they closed permanently for the coronavirus. just a bunch of regular shlubs in brooklyn. high % of old people id say. they are never doing anything useful.

i cant really blame guys for hitting on girls pretty much anywhere. its whats expected of men to find women. also, if you see someone you are interested in, you may never see them again so you have to make the move (unless you think all females are equal). you miss every shot you dont take. i understand with the headphones but i still sympathize when men trying to find love.
Generally, people in my gym are pretty dedicated. I work until 3, so when I was going I was often seeing some of the HS kids who were just here to socialize with their other friends, but most of the other crowd (and even some of the high school kids) seems to be focused. I was at a different branch that had a yoga room set up by all the heavy weights and I’m not sure they were as dedicated in that one. It seemed like some of the folks who went there only did it to make as big a show as possible out of grunting and throwing weights around, which was kind of hilarious when you were in the yoga room trying to relax and hearing all the banging and noises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 01:15 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
So just a personal observation.

I restarted more aggressive exercise a month or two ago, and while I eat healthy, I haven't really been changing what I eat much.

So yeah, down 5 lbs, BUT I've lost around 2 inches in my mid section, less thass, more differentiation between what is butt and what is thigh, triceps have lost their wobble.

So the difference in my build at my current weight with and without exercise, is huge. My clothes look so much better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-30-2021, 06:45 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So just a personal observation.

I restarted more aggressive exercise a month or two ago, and while I eat healthy, I haven't really been changing what I eat much.

So yeah, down 5 lbs, BUT I've lost around 2 inches in my mid section, less thass, more differentiation between what is butt and what is thigh, triceps have lost their wobble.

So the difference in my build at my current weight with and without exercise, is huge. My clothes look so much better.
Congrats!

Old 04-12-2021, 09:41 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,407,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I disagree completely.

If it truly were "calories in vrs calories out" we would not have an obesity problem. It is stunning to me that people delude themselves into that thinking. Why would anyone want to be fat or obese? They wouldn't. Being fat subjects you to so many negative things.. socially and health wise. Nor can you say that suddenly we all have a will-power problem. A very good example is Oprah Winfrey... who is amazingly successful in her life in all areas but not this one thing. Not to mention that she has tried everything and they all failed... to assume it is because she is a glutton makes zero sense. She doesn't accept that kind of behavior in any other area of her life, why would she in this?

Talk about a confirmation bias, if you don't have a weight problem you have to assume that everyone else is just lazy or a glutton. But objectively if you really thought about it you would realize that most people are not and it defies reality to say that 50+ percent of the population just got that much lazier since the 1970s.

And now, we are finding out more and more that the advice that was sold to us was completely wrong. Chances are if you are overweight you have been reading the studies and trying to solve the problem for years... and all that advice was 100% the opposite of what you should be doing. No wonder we have an obesity problem.

Now we have large portions of the world that are not only fat but have vastly wrong ideas that they will defend to the death.

I will also say that people who don't have an argument always change the argument but this thread was not about exercise being good or bad for you. It simply isn't something that should be in your losing weight tool box.

Part of Ponzer's book on the subject does have an amazing theory about how exercise keeps us healthy but it goes hand in hand with the information on how our TDEES do not go up with exercise. So in our arrogance and prejudice I am sure you won't read it.
Show us any literature that says you can gain weight on a caloric deficit. Take your time I'll wait. ... maybe I'll be waiting forever.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:26 PM

7,140 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Flawed thinking at its best. Of course its calories in vs calories out. We have a huge problem with obesity in this country because people eat vast quantities of terrible food. Pay attention to any fast food commercial and you will see some sort of meal that is 600 calories and up and then they give it some low price. People drink soda by the gallons. Sugary foods, lack of healthy foods, and being sedentary are the NUMBER ONE REASONS why we are a nation that is almost 40% obese.

Show me a person who eats a healthy diet with foods from ALL the food groups, no fast food, stays within a calorie limit (not a lose-weight - diet limit), and exercises and I am willing to bet you a million dollars they are not obese.
People need to be accountable for what they eat.

And I am sorry but this whole idea of making a post of not needing exercise is just reckless. No one is forcing you to exercise but please stop making it a campaign.
The Standard American Diet (SAD) is simply a recipe for obesity. We have aisles of snack/junk foods. We have high caloric, fatty, sugary and salty fast food.

We super-size our drinks and meals.

Add in lack of exercise and we have an obese, sick--and getting sicker-- population.

Every ethnic culture in the world, when exposed to and adopting a European/American diet, has become more ill and more fat...

Old 04-12-2021, 11:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
I have always suspected this but now I see it is true. So killing yourself at the gym only steals energy away from other critical functions. Gyms are going to see quite a drop in business.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...scientist.html
Aerobics and motion exercises that ordinary people do, DO burn more calories, but not enough to make a difference in weight, IMO, except over a loooooong period of time. However, there IS an after effect in that if someone exercises aerobically hard enough, that will speed up the metabolism for some time AFTER the exercise.

There is a difference in working out w/weights, tho, IMO. If a person can build muscle, that muscle will consume more calories that less muscle 24X7 and help with losing weight.

I've had to watch my weight all my life. I've seen that it's mainly what, how much, and when you eat that affects weight. You can lie in bed all week and lose weight, if you don't eat much. You can exercise a lot all week and not lose one ounce, if you eat too much (esp at night).

Old 04-13-2021, 06:55 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
The Standard American Diet (SAD) is simply a recipe for obesity. We have aisles of snack/junk foods. We have high caloric, fatty, sugary and salty fast food.

We super-size our drinks and meals.

Add in lack of exercise and we have an obese, sick--and getting sicker-- population.

Every ethnic culture in the world, when exposed to and adopting a European/American diet, has become more ill and more fat...
Its true. See what happened to Kuwait after we put in a bunch of fast food places. Its now one of the most obese countries in the world.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:27 AM

15 posts, read 15,995 times
Quote:
I have always suspected this but now I see it is true. So killing yourself at the gym only steals energy away from other critical functions. Gyms are going to see quite a drop in business.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...scientist.html
This statement feels intuitively wrong to me. Muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue does. So having more muscles is beneficial to lose weight. Also, why do I feel so much healthier and more energized at times I get to workout regularly, when this only steals my energy for vital body functions?

Old 04-29-2021, 12:10 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,392,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Some would argue that a 3:30 marathon runner is not a competitive runner.
If by "competitive" you mean someone who will win the marathon or place near the top finishers, you're correct. But I assure you, a 3:30 marathon is an exceptional time and averages out to running 26.2 miles at a steady 8 minute per mile pace. My P.R. in the marathon is 3:44 and the amount of training it takes to get to that point is arduous and lengthy.

90% of American teenagers couldn't even run one single mile in 8 minutes, never mind 26.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:13 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
If by "competitive" you mean someone who will win the marathon or place near the top finishers, you're correct. But I assure you, a 3:30 marathon is an exceptional time and averages out to running 26.2 miles at a steady 8 minute per mile pace. My P.R. in the marathon is 3:44 and the amount of training it takes to get to that point is arduous and lengthy.

90% of American teenagers couldn't even run one single mile in 8 minutes, never mind 26.

Full disclosure:

I couldn't.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss