Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 09:36 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
What I was doing was thinking I was making good food choices and overeating. Even good things make you fat if you eat a lot.
I think this mindset is more common than people gorging themselves on fast food and sodas.

I did it myself when I was a vegetarian and doing heavy aerobics 6 days a week for 10 years. I never lost a pound, but I was very strong and healthy. I remember going out to eat at our favorite steak restaurant and getting ready to order my favorite spinach/citrus salad and they listed the calorie count - 1400 calories! I eventually switched to mostly meats and lower carb vegetables, which works for me.

I remember years ago when my always obese brother told me the way to eat healthy is lots of pasta. And wine. He's still obese with many health issues even though he's very active.

Congrats on your weight loss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 09:45 AM

596 posts, read 302,838 times
Quote:
As someone who has been obese (and very much so) since I was about 12 years old, going on 20 years now and in the middle of a weight loss journey of which I have lost 38 lbs and counting I feel like I can certainly speak on this.

CICO is working wonders for me. And exercise is helping me feel better. But what Im eating is and always will be the deciding factor. I didnt consider myself overly lazy or that my obesity was because I wanted to be fat or because I didnt feel like exercising.

I was obese because I was always obese, noone taught me about food. I had no idea how much food I was eating until I starting tracking it. I eat 1300 calories a day right now. Before? Probably 3k. But I wasnt eating fast food everyday. Some days yes but not everyday. What I was doing was thinking I was making good food choices and overeating. Even good things make you fat if you eat a lot.

For example taco night. I used turkey instead of beef. I used low carb tortillas. Veggies and cheese. 1 low carb tortilla 60 calories. x3 tacos 180 calories. 1/4 cup of shredded cheese is 110 calories, I was probably putting that much on each taco, or at least close to it. Add sour cream and a little quac and my 3 small tacos are now a meal 700-800 calories then add a handful of chips (which is 2 servings!) and its almost 1000 for 1 meal that I thought I was making smart choices on.

We arent taught what it means to eat healthy. Healthy marketed foods add up fast. Whole food dont. That same "taco" in a half a green pepper with only a sprinkle of cheese and no sour cream is only about 75 calories. CICO is how you lose weight but you have to really pay attention to the calories in. You cant exercise your way skinny but you can eat yourself thin eating 4 meals a day as long as you actually pay attention.
Yay!

Someone that gets it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1454084/

Old 03-23-2021, 10:15 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Generally speaking, of the people I know, those who get plenty of exercise are normal weight, and those who don't are overweight.

When I do lots of cardio, I DO get much hungrier, I just try and satiate it with filling, lower calorie foods, and I do lose weight. But the exercise is combined with lower calorie foods.

Plus with the exercise my body kinda redistributes the weight to a more appealing shape. The waist shrinks butt fills out, shoulders broaden. The same weight can look MUCH different when you work out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-23-2021, 10:20 AM

596 posts, read 302,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Generally speaking, of the people I know, those who get plenty of exercise are normal weight, and those who don't are overweight.

When I do lots of cardio, I DO get much hungrier, I just try and satiate it with filling, lower calorie foods, and I do lose weight. But the exercise is combined with lower calorie foods.

Plus with the exercise my body kinda redistributes the weight to a more appealing shape. The waist shrinks butt fills out, shoulders broaden. The same weight can look MUCH different when you work out.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:58 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I think this mindset is more common than people gorging themselves on fast food and sodas.

I did it myself when I was a vegetarian and doing heavy aerobics 6 days a week for 10 years. I never lost a pound, but I was very strong and healthy. I remember going out to eat at our favorite steak restaurant and getting ready to order my favorite spinach/citrus salad and they listed the calorie count - 1400 calories! I eventually switched to mostly meats and lower carb vegetables, which works for me.

I remember years ago when my always obese brother told me the way to eat healthy is lots of pasta. And wine. He's still obese with many health issues even though he's very active.

Congrats on your weight loss!
I eat pasta and drink wine, but I also exercise which allows me to eat and drink the things I love within moderation. But frankly I would rather be fat, though not obese, and eat my pasta and drink some wine than to go without.
A life without pasta and wine is a sad, sad one.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:26 PM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I eat pasta and drink wine, but I also exercise which allows me to eat and drink the things I love within moderation. But frankly I would rather be fat, though not obese, and eat my pasta and drink some wine than to go without.
A life without pasta and wine is a sad, sad one.
LOL, but you also have said that you eat from other food groups, like vegetables. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped my brother, he is now a diabetic with HBP and on thyroid meds.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:40 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,643 times
I just find it interesting that healthy people within the healthy (or slightly overweight) category who practice balance in all things health, eating well, indulging occasionally and exercising regularly never talk about how hard it is to obese people to fight their nature and lose weight. People who are naturally thin and people who are overweight and obese say they cant control it or that there are so many others factors.

But the people who work at it everyday know its a lifelong commitment to health. Switching to healthy until you get to your goal and then going back to old habits will just result in the same thing it resulted in the first time.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
LOL, but you also have said that you eat from other food groups, like vegetables. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped my brother, he is now a diabetic with HBP and on thyroid meds.
Well yes, the key is moderation with the focus on healthy, fresh foods. I have had a thyroid issue my entire life but does not effect my weight.
Your brother over eats, probably the wrong foods. My brother is morbidly obese and his downfall are sweets for the most part. He loves pastries and other confections. He does not eat fast food, but he eats HUGE portions. He also has not exercised a day in his life. He is 70 and had a number of small strokes. He will not change for his health as many do not.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I just find it interesting that healthy people within the healthy (or slightly overweight) category who practice balance in all things health, eating well, indulging occasionally and exercising regularly never talk about how hard it is to obese people to fight their nature and lose weight. People who are naturally thin and people who are overweight and obese say they cant control it or that there are so many others factors.

But the people who work at it everyday know its a lifelong commitment to health. Switching to healthy until you get to your goal and then going back to old habits will just result in the same thing it resulted in the first time.
Very true. I have decided what foods are worth indulging in and which ones are not. If I did not pay attention to my caloric intake and did not exercise I would be fat. Probably obese. However I am vain, I don't like the way I look when I have extra weight on me. My vanity keeps me healthy, and now that I am almost 60 my health keeps me going because there are so many things I want to do like travel and be active. The vanity is still there but now the big driver is the quality of my life.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:26 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
There seems to be this constant assumption that fat people all go back to old habits.

That isn't what is happening. Of course every fat person who does gain the weight back assumes they "must have" and blames themselves. So that adds to this myth.

But it is long enough now that we can see that most people gain the weight back due to powerful physical forces that come into play. Adaptive Thermogenesis. Your body reduces your TDEE and it sends out powerful hunger hormones to make you more hungry. This was shown with the contestants on the biggest loser. That also showed that this changes can last for YEARS after a diet.

This also has been shown with bypass surgery. Even cutting out the stomach makes it so people can gain weight. Sure, some eat too much, but you can see by the fact that most people do not make it normal weight (just no longer obese) that the body is adapting and reducing its TDEE... a perfect recipe for weight gain.

The way we diet itself sets anyone with more than 30 lbs to lose up for rebound. Studies have shown that your body starts reducing your TDEE in as little as 2 weeks after you reduce calories. This means if you have a long time to be on the diet you could drastically reduce your calories. Sure some people have never hit a plateau in their lives...because they have robust metabolisms and as their TDEE reduces they still lose weight -- or -- they don't have that much to lose.

The MATADOR study showed that if you dieted for 2 weeks and then ate normal for 2 weeks you would lose more weight and keep it off... (because it slows adaptive thermogenesis) but do you hear any diet gurus talking about this? Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss