Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 09:16 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,460 times

Advertisements

I like anything that’s carbonated for some reason. Stopped the sugary ones almost 40 years ago but switched to diet cola (before anyone knew they are actually bad for you). I have never liked coffee, so I rationalized that my caffeine came in the diet cola. At least I’ve cut down on my consumption of the diet cola, but I also drink LaCroix. I hope the unsweetened flavored water isn’t harmful, because I enjoy it.

I joke that it’s my last vice—never smoked, quit alcohol, don’t gamble, but I love my diet cola 2-3 times a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 04:38 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
I like anything that’s carbonated for some reason. Stopped the sugary ones almost 40 years ago but switched to diet cola (before anyone knew they are actually bad for you). I have never liked coffee, so I rationalized that my caffeine came in the diet cola. At least I’ve cut down on my consumption of the diet cola, but I also drink LaCroix. I hope the unsweetened flavored water isn’t harmful, because I enjoy it.

I joke that it’s my last vice—never smoked, quit alcohol, don’t gamble, but I love my diet cola 2-3 times a day.
Good for you! - but no doubt someone will be on at any moment saying a couple sodas is as bad as smoking (maybe even drugs!).

Old 12-12-2021, 04:54 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
zero soft drinks

zero sweet drinks

drink plain cold tea every day

occasional but infrequent coffee

the only juice is occasional plain grapefruit juice

Old 12-15-2021, 07:11 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
zero soft drinks

zero sweet drinks

drink plain cold tea every day

occasional but infrequent coffee

the only juice is occasional plain grapefruit juice
Curious--what kind of tea?

I get bored with plain ol water all the time and am thinking of making cold green tea (and sometimes hot) my alternate drink.

Been reading about the benefits of green tea and it seems like a good beverage to drink more of...

Figure I might as make hydration even more helpful...

Old 12-16-2021, 09:15 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post

I have to ask, have you experienced any kidney stones yet? My son is hooked on carbonated drinks, and will drink the Coke Zero if given a choice. Also drinks a lot of LaCroix type beverages as well. I'm worried that this will cause him to experience kidney stones down the line.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:24 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I have to admit that soda is my vice.

I know it's not good for you, but I can't help it. I feel like it's an addiction as much as smoking or other vices.

On average, I drink about 2-3 cans or 1-2 20 fluid oz bottles of diet soda per day. The fake sugar is bad, but the scariest is the excess phosphoric acid. I heard that excessive consumption of phosphates can lead to ill health like heart disease. I believe the amounts in soda is not that much, but maybe it's a cumulative effect.
I'm also a soda addict. I was able to get down to 2 regular Cokes most days by replacing it with sparkling water (such as Bubbly).

I really don't think diet soda is any better for you than regualr. Sure it may save you some calories, but various studies have concluded that diet soda just increases people's cravings for other sugary foods. So it doesn't really help people lose weight. And that fake sugar in diet is bad for your brain, and G*d knows what else.

So you might consider replacing one of your diet sodas with sparkling water, which is likely a healthier option.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:31 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Good for you! - but no doubt someone will be on at any moment saying a couple sodas is as bad as smoking (maybe even drugs!).
I'm a soda addict myself and I'm coming to the conclusion that this might be true. Maybe not to that extreme, but way worse than a lot of people believe...including diet soda. I'm hodling out hope for the sparkling waters, as I've substituted one of my daily cokes with sparking water.

It turns out the world's healthiest cultures drink mainly 4 things: water, coffee, tea, and alcohol--especially wine--(but in modest amounts. Getting drunk in healthy cultures is rare).

Old 12-17-2021, 05:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I may have 5 soft drinks per year. Usually less.

We drink unsweetened carbonated water (Kirkland sparkling water).

Sometimes I use the no sugar flavor packets. Usually one packet into 4 or 5 16 oz glasses of water (if I'm really thirsty like when exercising I don't like carbonation), a couple times a week.

I'll buy 5 Calorie juice sometimes for a change, and dilute it with water or use it in cocktails.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-29-2021, 10:53 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
I was already trying to wean myself off soda. What finally did it is COVID. After I had COVID in 2020, Coke and Spite taste bitter now (and it looks like its a permanent change...)

Old 12-30-2021, 08:08 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I was already trying to wean myself off soda. What finally did it is COVID. After I had COVID in 2020, Coke and Spite taste bitter now (and it looks like its a permanent change...)
Not making fun of you, honest, but it makes sense that Spite would taste bitter.

I'm sorry you had to go through Covid. That can't have been fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss