Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 09:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
sure some people are fat naturally but something has been introduced that we shouldn't be eating.

That is carbohydrate.

We aren't supposed to be eating carbohydrate. And for most of humanity... we didn't.

There is no need for carbohydrate. Your body can make its own glucose if necessary.

The agricultural revolution started the increases in cancer, heart disease, and diabeates.

All have gotten markedly worse in the last 30 years... when the low fat diets started.

This cannot be just due to "lack of willpower".
I totally agree on that point -- 'it can't be just lack of willpower". You're so right. I wish the rest of the country would wake up to the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 09:53 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Carbs (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.). Those are staples that people have eaten for decades - during the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s? They ate the same foods and the majority were NOT obese.

People eat those foods now and ARE obese. What gives? What changed? It's the ingredients, additives, supplements, growth hormones that manufacturers have added to the diets of the animals from which we get our foods and liquids and the genetic modification of everything else we eat, in addition to the salt and sugar which is added to EVERYTHING. It's literally wreaking havoc on our bodies.
I think a lot of it has to do with social media. Back in 1999 there were no such things as Instagram Influencers, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.

If people wanted to talk to their friends they met with them and did things. Nowadays you can talk to hundreds of people each day and never leave your couch. You can go to work and never leave your house. If you're home....the kitchen is right there, sooo....

You can order your groceries delivered to your door or just do the drive up service. I was at Target the other day and noticed that the cars pulling up to use the contactless delivery spots were parents with their kids in the car. I get it, believe me I do. But it used to be that you hauled your kids right into the store with you.

More and more people, and I mean young people, are hiring yard services and housekeepers. It used to be that you didn't do that until you were getting near retirement.

There was just a lot more running around, going out and being physically active pre social media.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:21 AM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

You can order your groceries delivered to your door or just do the drive up service. I was at Target the other day and noticed that the cars pulling up to use the contactless delivery spots were parents with their kids in the car. I get it, believe me I do. But it used to be that you hauled your kids right into the store with you.
That's not been my experience. It seems there are a lot of families (often several generations) shopping together these days. When I was a kid I never went on a shopping trip unless we were buying clothes for me.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:38 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
This is what I'm being saying for a few years now. There's not enough of us who have figured this out and understand that the gov't needs to step in and regulate the entire food chain. Too much salt, sugar, and other junk is being added to everything we eat or drink UNNECESSARILY, I might add. I'm so ready to march on Washington about this the way some people are about climate change and carbon emissions.
What ever happened consuming too many TOTAL calories? Americans are simply eating too many calories, and sugar consumption has actually been decreasing.

https://nutritionasiknowit.com/blog/...-americans-eat

Old 11-05-2021, 05:44 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
But the choices are all terrible unless a person is willing to spend their whole paycheck grocery shopping at Whole Foods or similar store to pay $6-$10 for a dozen eggs, $8+ for a 32 oz. carton of "organic" milk, and so forth. That's ridiculous and unsustainable for the average person's income.
You don't need to buy expensive organic to lose weight.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:57 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
But the choices are all terrible unless a person is willing to spend their whole paycheck grocery shopping at Whole Foods or similar store to pay $6-$10 for a dozen eggs, $8+ for a 32 oz. carton of "organic" milk, and so forth. That's ridiculous and unsustainable for the average person's income.
You don't have to go to Whole Foods to get nutritious foods but you will have to put effort into learning about nutrition and more importantly, how to prepare the food yourself. Every year some well meaning charities give turkeys to low income families but never take it a step further and ask if the recipients know how to prepare the turkey.

Fruits, vegetables and eggs do not have to be purchased at high end food stores. They're available at every supermarket. The hard part is getting people to change their views about eating. Instead of looking at quick fixes for their food choices, putting effort into cooking at home would have a huge impact on health and obesity rates.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:17 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
That's not been my experience. It seems there are a lot of families (often several generations) shopping together these days. When I was a kid I never went on a shopping trip unless we were buying clothes for me.
Yes, there are still parents who bring their kids into the stores. The reason I even paid attention to the contactless drop off spots was because there are quite a few of those spaces up close to the store and I had to park further out in the lot which is normally something I do anyway. However, this particular day I had my 85 year old mom with me and I had to park further out than the parents using the contactless delivery did, meaning my elderly mom had to walk quite a bit farther so the folks picking up diapers could have the convenience of having their orders walked out to them by staff.

Yes, I could have dropped her off at the entrance and then afterwards gone and gotten the car and picked her up at the entrance. I also could have ordered contactless delivery myself but Mom and I both prefer to actually go into the store. She is not a shut in and I don't treat her as such.

At any rate, I wound up talking to a lot attendant and asked if in the future I could park in one of those delivery spots (there are always empty ones whenever I've been there) and I've been told that as long as we tell customer service that the car is in one of the spots it's fine for us to park there.

When my kids were little, I took them everywhere I went because I was a full time stay at home mom. When I was little I went on lots of trips inside the store with my parents, too.

Last edited by springfieldva; 11-05-2021 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-05-2021, 08:10 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
One problem is people think they are never supposed to feel hungry. Being a little hungry much of the time is a natural state. It also makes us appreciate and respect food more.

Emotional eating causes a cycle of eating for chronic physical and mental comfort and that is abusing food. It is hard to go back to normal eating (not needing to feel satiated all the time) once you start that cycle.

We need to change our attitude about food and eating and won't need to obsess, excuse and blame so much regarding what we put in our mouths.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:51 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
People ought to form opinions only after they have all the facts.

I'm tired of repeating myself on all these similar threads-- Search "The Thrifty Gene"
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1385/ENDO:9:2:139

Owners of stables have known about this for centuries. The medical geniuses are just starting to catch on, and it still hasn't sunk in yet for most of them.

Blame you parents, not General Foods.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:10 PM

30,356 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
One problem is people think they are never supposed to feel hungry. Being a little hungry much of the time is a natural state. It also makes us appreciate and respect food more.

Emotional eating causes a cycle of eating for chronic physical and mental comfort and that is abusing food. It is hard to go back to normal eating (not needing to feel satiated all the time) once you start that cycle.

We need to change our attitude about food and eating and won't need to obsess, excuse and blame so much regarding what we put in our mouths.
Yep, when I embrace hunger, I do great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss