Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2021, 06:03 PM

270 posts, read 193,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m 73 and I’ve had cancer twice. I’m required to take an anti estrogen pill.
I have gained 30 pounds in the past year and a half, with no change in my eating habits. I eat like a bird.

At my age I’m just choosing to disregard it and live my life, but I’m not at all happy with my body right now. At least I’m not a skinny corpse.
Sounds like you are on the right track. You have to let image g, or struggle. We don't need extra struggle when going over the seventies hump.
A little discipline is good, but we have to give ourselves a break. Make it easy and live to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 08:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with social media. Back in 1999 there were no such things as Instagram Influencers, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.

If people wanted to talk to their friends they met with them and did things. Nowadays you can talk to hundreds of people each day and never leave your couch. You can go to work and never leave your house. If you're home....the kitchen is right there, sooo....

You can order your groceries delivered to your door or just do the drive up service. I was at Target the other day and noticed that the cars pulling up to use the contactless delivery spots were parents with their kids in the car. I get it, believe me I do. But it used to be that you hauled your kids right into the store with you.

More and more people, and I mean young people, are hiring yard services and housekeepers. It used to be that you didn't do that until you were getting near retirement.

There was just a lot more running around, going out and being physically active pre social media.
Yes, that's very true.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:24 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with social media. Back in 1999 there were no such things as Instagram Influencers, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.

If people wanted to talk to their friends they met with them and did things. Nowadays you can talk to hundreds of people each day and never leave your couch. You can go to work and never leave your house. If you're home....the kitchen is right there, sooo....

You can order your groceries delivered to your door or just do the drive up service. I was at Target the other day and noticed that the cars pulling up to use the contactless delivery spots were parents with their kids in the car. I get it, believe me I do. But it used to be that you hauled your kids right into the store with you.

More and more people, and I mean young people, are hiring yard services and housekeepers. It used to be that you didn't do that until you were getting near retirement.

There was just a lot more running around, going out and being physically active pre social media.
Americans started getting fat in the 80s.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
What ever happened consuming too many TOTAL calories? Americans are simply eating too many calories, and sugar consumption has actually been decreasing.

https://nutritionasiknowit.com/blog/...-americans-eat
So what is escalating Americans' appetite to the extent that they (we) consume too many calories? In order words, what's the catalyst?

Old 11-05-2021, 08:28 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
So what is escalating Americans' appetite to the extent that they (we) consume too many calories? In order words, what's the catalyst?
Better food industry science in designing foods that evoke greater appetite, for one.

Also government and food industry falsehoods of what, how much, and how often people should eat.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
You don't have to go to Whole Foods to get nutritious foods but you will have to put effort into learning about nutrition and more importantly, how to prepare the food yourself. Every year some well meaning charities give turkeys to low income families but never take it a step further and ask if the recipients know how to prepare the turkey.

Fruits, vegetables and eggs do not have to be purchased at high end food stores. They're available at every supermarket. The hard part is getting people to change their views about eating. Instead of looking at quick fixes for their food choices, putting effort into cooking at home would have a huge impact on health and obesity rates.
I know a lot of obese people, some are my extended family members, who cook at home. Especially, the ones that live in small country towns and those who live outside the small towns in "the country". These people rarely eat at restaurants or fast food joints because it's not worth the long R/T drive just to get to it and back. They cook at home and are still obese.

I am a person who purchases fruit and vegetables from farmer's market in the summer. But that's a short window of time. The rest of the year, fruit and vegetables have to be purchased in the supermarket. However, they're not in season and taste as bland as cardboard.

So when you say getting people to change their views about eating, if people could get farmer's market fruit and veggies, they'd eat it. However, the food industry has disregarded the natural growing season and produced or imported it from other countries. The downside is that in order to get it here in time, it's picked too early (before it had time to develop flavor). Or, the fruit and vegetables are genetically modified which creates a whole other set of problems.

When you pick up a fruit or vegetable and it has no discernible scent, that's terrible because it means it wasn't ready for harvesting. It was not in season yet. Nevertheless, that describes most the F & V in the supermarket today. Understandably, most people are not going to eat food in large quantities that taste bland like cardboard. Hence food manufacturers pump their canned vegetables full of salt and sugar in order to give it flavor (artificially induced) and it's sold to restaurants, fast foods, and homes.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:49 PM

I challenge anyone who hasn't done so, to conduct your own taste test between fruit purchased from a farmer's market and from a grocery store. The flavor and texture is as different as night and day!

Old 11-05-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m 73 and I’ve had cancer twice. I’m required to take an anti estrogen pill.
I have gained 30 pounds in the past year and a half, with no change in my eating habits. I eat like a bird.

At my age I’m just choosing to disregard it and live my life, but I’m not at all happy with my body right now. At least I’m not a skinny corpse.
Yes, that is another culprit - medications. Same with menopause. A woman can eat the same way (and amount) she's been eating for decades and then big M hits and overnight she gains 25-50 lbs. The weight just continues accumulating from that point.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The government has been suggesting this daily diet since the late 70s:

2-3 servings of dairy
3-5 servings of vegetables
2-4 servings of fruit
6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice, or pasta
2-3 servings of meat, poultry, fish, beans, or eggs

Per day!
Wow, this seems crazy now.

I actually thought I read a couple of years ago that the gov't changed their suggestion. Didn't the gov't recommended food groups use to be a triangular shape? I think it changed a few years ago.

It may still be triangular shape but the amounts are different. I can't remember what the recommendations are because I stopped following it years ago once I realized that 2000 calories daily was too much for my body.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Better food industry science in designing foods that evoke greater appetite, for one.

Also government and food industry falsehoods of what, how much, and how often people should eat.
That was exactly was I was getting at. That's a part of the junk that I mentioned way back that is fed to animals; appetite stimulants. We eat or drink animal products and inadvertently consume those same appetite stimulates. It's like we live in a matrix of obesity-induced food products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss