Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2021, 11:09 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times

Advertisements

As an aside, the myth that fast and other convenient processed foods are cheaper than nutritious whole foods needs to die already. It has been debunked over and over. When someone says it, it's a dead giveaway that either they've never tried or they didn't make a genuine effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 11:26 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
As an aside, the myth that fast and other convenient processed foods are cheaper than nutritious whole foods needs to die already. It has been debunked over and over. When someone says it, it's a dead giveaway that either they've never tried or they didn't make a genuine effort.
But at the same time, nutritious, whole foods often take time and preparation and skill and equipment. Many people don't think about what they're going to have for dinner until 30 minutes before dinner. I'm not smug enough to say that everyone has my priorities. They need to eat something, so they do.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:21 PM

3,113 posts, read 1,007,936 times
Interesting thread.

I'm from Europe but live in the US. I've been living here for 17 years. The food is different here. My husband and I had difficulties in the beginning. Everything had too much fat, sugar or salt. The veggies had no taste. Cheese was terrible, was like eating paper. Chocolate a joke.

I go a lot to Persian stores that sell stuff from Europe. I have to. Or German stores, or Italian, or French. I cook all the meals at home. For me it's just a necessity but also I like doing it. I don't think about it days before, I just buy fruits and veggies in season and then prepare something with what I have in the fridge. I chose organic most of the time, it can be expensive but the taste is significantly better.

When I immigrated here after about 4 months eating the new food, I got very ill. That's why I have to be very vigilant now.

We used to walk everywhere in Europe. For hours a day. To work and back, to the farmer's market, to buy a loaf of bread, or some fresh croissants. Not anymore here in the US, I'm in Southern California. I have a Ralph's in the area, it's about one hours to go there and come back. Walking in a forest, that goes along a small road. I sometimes feel the need to walk there and come back with bags of groceries. Just for the walk. My neighbors are very surprised to see me do this. Many ask why do it since you can drive instead. They don't understand.

It's difficult sometimes for us to ...be in the mood of eating some Belgian chocolate. Or fresh German bread with seeds. I bake bread sometimes but it's not the same thing. I have to drive for 40 min to a German store to buy only this bread. Or to a French or Italian store for a real chocolate.

For me preparing the food is fun, it takes time yes...but it builds up the juices in the stomach. First you cut the veggies, then add onion in olive oil, condiments, prepare the meat etc etc. It start to smell wonderfully in the house. It's a process. I might want to prepare something sweet, something like Greek yogurt with real Maple Syrup, nuts, raisins and cinnamon...while the main dish is cooking etc. I think I went to eat at fast-food here in the US 3 or 4 times in these 17 years. Not a fan. Usually where I like to go is Indian Restaurants. That's all.

I think the food in the US is very poor in nutrients. That's why people eat more but are never satisfied. You have to eat more to get satiated but you can't, because the food has not enough nutrients.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:45 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But at the same time, nutritious, whole foods often take time and preparation and skill and equipment.
It's a skill easily learned. Even kids can follow recipes and do it. A few basic pots and pans are all the equipment one really needs and I think most people already have them, or can pick them up inexpensively to get started.

Most whole foods can be cooked in mere minutes. If they want beans or grains that take longer, they can pick up a crock pot for as little as $30 and it will be ready when they get home, or they can cook it overnight. Fish, poultry and meats can be cooked in minutes also, and use the crock pot for slow-cooked meats.

Quote:
Many people don't think about what they're going to have for dinner until 30 minutes before dinner.
Right, that's their problem. As I said, it takes a little planning. Apparently planning is too inconvenient.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:14 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Society moved on some time ago. When one partner was at home, they had the luxury of spending hours cooking---because they could and partially because it was necessary for many of the dishes they ate. Their meals weren't necessarily healthy.

Nutritional science is much more advanced today and culinary has evolved. Healthy, nutritious meals can be made quickly. We also have gadgets and cookers that were not available back then to streamline the process, but many healthy meals can be made in as little as 30 minutes without any of those things. Some even less than that. Planning meals and acquiring the ingredients in advance make it easy. It's just not as convenient as a drive-thru.

My wife and I worked full time and shared cooking when our kids were growing up in the 90s. We taught them to cook so they could take care of themselves as adults. School and extracurricular activities made life more hectic than it already was, but that is what parents sign up for when they decide to have children. It's not an excuse to shirk the responsibility of providing healthy meals to our kids.
I never said it was an excuse to shirk..but the truth remains that in many families it falls to a single individual without much help from the others. In these posts we tend to overlook that health for the family seems to rest unfairly on one member. Seriously, how many guys simply eat whatever's put in front of them...and if it's NOT put there are they gonna cook up some food, even for themselves, much less the rest of the fam? Or are they gonna order out?

Old 11-11-2021, 03:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Interesting thread.

I'm from Europe but live in the US. I've been living here for 17 years. The food is different here. My husband and I had difficulties in the beginning. Everything had too much fat, sugar or salt. The veggies had no taste. Cheese was terrible, was like eating paper. Chocolate a joke.

I go a lot to Persian stores that sell stuff from Europe. I have to. Or German stores, or Italian, or French. I cook all the meals at home. For me it's just a necessity but also I like doing it. I don't think about it days before, I just buy fruits and veggies in season and then prepare something with what I have in the fridge. I chose organic most of the time, it can be expensive but the taste is significantly better.

When I immigrated here after about 4 months eating the new food, I got very ill. That's why I have to be very vigilant now.

We used to walk everywhere in Europe. For hours a day. To work and back, to the farmer's market, to buy a loaf of bread, or some fresh croissants. Not anymore here in the US, I'm in Southern California. I have a Ralph's in the area, it's about one hours to go there and come back. Walking in a forest, that goes along a small road. I sometimes feel the need to walk there and come back with bags of groceries. Just for the walk. My neighbors are very surprised to see me do this. Many ask why do it since you can drive instead. They don't understand.

It's difficult sometimes for us to ...be in the mood of eating some Belgian chocolate. Or fresh German bread with seeds. I bake bread sometimes but it's not the same thing. I have to drive for 40 min to a German store to buy only this bread. Or to a French or Italian store for a real chocolate.

For me preparing the food is fun, it takes time yes...but it builds up the juices in the stomach. First you cut the veggies, then add onion in olive oil, condiments, prepare the meat etc etc. It start to smell wonderfully in the house. It's a process. I might want to prepare something sweet, something like Greek yogurt with real Maple Syrup, nuts, raisins and cinnamon...while the main dish is cooking etc. I think I went to eat at fast-food here in the US 3 or 4 times in these 17 years. Not a fan. Usually where I like to go is Indian Restaurants. That's all.

I think the food in the US is very poor in nutrients. That's why people eat more but are never satisfied. You have to eat more to get satiated but you can't, because the food has not enough nutrients.
How you describe what you cook, describes how I tend to cook. But after 51 years I honestly don’t regard it as fun. At any rate, good for you!

Old 11-11-2021, 03:41 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I never said it was an excuse to shirk..but the truth remains that in many families it falls to a single individual without much help from the others. In these posts we tend to overlook that health for the family seems to rest unfairly on one member...
I think it is just a habit or learned behavior. I have never gotten into "convenience or prepared" foods. Always healthy, homemade food. Just as my mother did--she would work all day, commute one hour home and still have a homemade dinner on the table. My adult sons have continued on the path of healthy eating. As another poster said, "it is not that difficult". It is a habit. Just as convenience food is a habit.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Quote:
Interesting thread.

Hello and thank you for posting. You're exhibit A of what I said earlier. People from Europe who come to the US basically ALL say the same thing - the food here is TERRIBLE. No flavor or too much salt or sugar. You also stated "fat" but I don't know what "fat" taste like other than the fat on some meats such as roast beef.

You're right, fruit and vegetables only taste good when they're in season. That's a short window of time though considering there are 12 months in a year. Thank you for telling me about the markets you food shop. I food shop at farmer's market during the summer. I'll try some of the foreign food shops that you've mentioned if I can find them.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:49 AM

805 posts, read 524,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Hello and thank you for posting. You're exhibit A of what I said earlier. People from Europe who come to the US basically ALL say the same thing - the food here is TERRIBLE. No flavor or too much salt or sugar. You also stated "fat" but I don't know what "fat" taste like other than the fat on some meats such as roast beef.

You're right, fruit and vegetables only taste good when they're in season. That's a short window of time though considering there are 12 months in a year. Thank you for telling me about the markets you food shop. I food shop at farmer's market during the summer. I'll try some of the foreign food shops that you've mentioned if I can find them.
Fat often = fried.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:13 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Interesting thread.

Yep, why I buy European cheese, butter, wine exclusively and would buy fresh veggies if it was feasible. We really need to completely change our food chain in the USA. Because I've lived and worked all over the world, I realized how poor ourfood is in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss