Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2021, 01:46 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times

Advertisements

if you have diabetes type 2 and your doctor prescribes Trulicity or Victoza (both injections, Victoza a daily injection, Trulicity one injection a week you'll most assuredly lose weight because you're no longer hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
One difference between the 1950s and today is that back then people walked everywhere. Most women walked to the corner grocery store and back. They could do it because eggs, milk, bread were delivered to the door. They just walked back and forth to the store for other things, like cereal, meat, vegetables, fruit.

If you wanted an ice cream cone, you walked to the store and back again. Men mowed their own lawns and they worked on their houses, washed their cars. No one sat and stared at a screen all day.

People didn't drink soda back then either. Very little soda, maybe at a party. People drank coffee and tea or milk. The people who drank the most milk were the kids who were outside running around all day.

Another thing is today's restaurant portions which are ridiculous. A lot of people judge a restaurant by how big the portions are rather than how good it tastes. I would rather have good food than have mediocre food that is flowing over the sides of my plate.

Bad habits start at a very young age and it makes me sad to see a fat family with fat kids. Everybody is different though and some people are born to be long and lean while others are born to be short and chubby. It's hard to overcome what you were born with but back in the 1950s those who tended to be overweight at least at more opportunities to work it off all day long without fitness workouts. (The relative lack of fast junk food helped too.)
Keep reads and observe it..nice to have such good information from many perspectives

Old 11-25-2021, 09:22 AM

529 posts, read 556,239 times
I’m 1.14 x 10^-3 miles tall and I weigh about 2,920 ounces. That means my BMI is a rather healthy 24.5.

But up until a couple of years ago I weighed 3,100 ounces (I was in dangerous overweight territory at BMI = 26): nobody had told me that my consumption of beer & chips was responsible for my being fat.
It wasn’t my fault!

Old 11-26-2021, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 1,043 times
Default weight loss in 20 minutes

https://shrinke.me/NpyUZlH

Old 11-26-2021, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 1,043 times
https://shrinke.me/NpyUZlH check

Old 11-27-2021, 12:36 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I love potatoes and they are quite recognizable as a natural food grown in a garden. But I have to limit them because, alas, they spike my blood sugar leading to hunger pangs as surely as a Kit Kat bar does.

Same deal with rice, figs, mangoes, bananas.

I do better with low sugar fruits like berries and low carb vegetables like broccoli, kale, spinach, brussels sprouts.

I am not diabetic but I have a predisposition for developing diabetes so I have to be careful.
Sweet potatoes are also lower on the glycemic index than regular potatoes, so you might want to give them a try if you haven't already. I especially like the purple sweet potatoes when I can find them. Besides being beautiful, they have the highest nutritional content.

Old 11-27-2021, 12:45 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Being fat is not 100% your fault. There are a lot of reasons that contribute to our obesity epidemic, here are a few that come to mind.

- Federal Agricultural spending subsidizes corn that is used to fatten cattle, hogs and poultry. Eating red meat is not good for us, so I greatly limit my intake. When I want protein I reach for black beans which have protein, fiber and all 9 of the essential amino acids found in beef.

- There are no federal subsidies for healthy vegetables and fruits which puts them at a competitive disadvantage to the junk sold in fast food outlets.

- Low income persons in both urban and rural populations are priced out of healthy food choices.

- Most inner city and rural stores have a poor selection of healthy foods. The proliferation of dollar stores sell mostly garbage.

- Food manufactures load up products with sugar, salt and fat since all of these are, at least dietetically, addictive; you can't eat just one potato chip.

- Grocery stores put the junk at eye level so it's easy to reach. Healthy food is often on the bottom shelf or in short supply. There are entire aisles of sugary drinks and fat / salty snacks.

- Few doctors have much education in nutrition, so they say idiotic things like "push yourself away from the table."

- Poor educations in both urban and rural populations creates tens of millions of people who are poorly versed in nutritional issues.

Other than that we're doing just fine. /s
You make a lot of good points, but I do take issue with the bolded.

How much does a banana cost? How much does oatmeal cost? How much does a can of: black beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans cost? I know. 53 cents for a 15.25 oz. can at WalMart (here in expensive California).

And don't tell me these are too hard to prepare or take too long. A lot of it is a combination of laziness and ignorance. Yes, I get it, those factors aren't the whole story, but they are part of it.

This is just one example of a filling recipe that doesn't take a lot of time and I can get all the ingreidents at my local WalMart. (I usually add a few more things such as feta cheese, kalamata olives, & cashews...but you can get all of those at WalMart, too). And don't tell me junk food and fast food are cheap. They aren't cheaper than buying your own food and making it yourself.

https://www.veggiessavetheday.com/me...hickpea-salad/

I absolutely do think federal subsidies are a huge issue.

I think we could start by not allowing people to buy junk food with food stamps. And not allowing school lunch programs to serve garbage. These are such simple things that should have widespread support. Our government won't even do such basic things to promote health. Our government policy has been so obviously bad for so long, it's no wonder people believe in conspiracy theories.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:45 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
The real culprit IMO is the food manufacturing industry. It’s the one thread that runs through it all.

The preservatives, the pesticides, the liquids, supplements, and diet in the animal feedlots (which in turn impacts all animal products in restaurants - not just the fast-foods but also the food purchased when grocery shopping), is garbage.

It has only gotten progressive worse over the past five decades (look at pics of people over the past 50 years and you'll see their body shapes for all ages look much better then than now) which is why the obesity rate is so high.

It’s a reflection of the type of food available for mass consumption. Very few people can escape the results. I can’t believe most people haven’t been able to connect the dots.
They don't because the food also affects their brains!

Old 11-27-2021, 11:05 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You make a lot of good points, but I do take issue with the bolded.

How much does a banana cost? How much does oatmeal cost? How much does a can of: black beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans cost? I know. 53 cents for a 15.25 oz. can at WalMart (here in expensive California).

And don't tell me these are too hard to prepare or take too long. A lot of it is a combination of laziness and ignorance. Yes, I get it, those factors aren't the whole story, but they are part of it.

This is just one example of a filling recipe that doesn't take a lot of time and I can get all the ingreidents at my local WalMart. (I usually add a few more things such as feta cheese, kalamata olives, & cashews...but you can get all of those at WalMart, too). And don't tell me junk food and fast food are cheap. They aren't cheaper than buying your own food and making it yourself.

https://www.veggiessavetheday.com/me...hickpea-salad/

I absolutely do think federal subsidies are a huge issue.

I think we could start by not allowing people to buy junk food with food stamps. And not allowing school lunch programs to serve garbage. These are such simple things that should have widespread support. Our government won't even do such basic things to promote health. Our government policy has been so obviously bad for so long, it's no wonder people believe in conspiracy theories.
\\

Excellent post! Every point you make is right on! I would add rice to the mix though, and how a crock pot can be a great help in preparing meals. Shopping "specials" at local branded groceries can also make eating more affordable.

We never eat out as it is not filling, and then everyone wants to snack when we get home. I tend to think the empty calories leaves the body crying for nutrition which equals hunger.

Anymore, no matter what it is, so many cannot own up to anything being their fault.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:50 AM

11 posts, read 11,550 times
Bottom line is some people can remain looking "fit" while eating complete garbage and some people cant eat one single piece of chocolate or they'll gain weight. Just because somebody looks "fit" doesn't mean they are healthy and just because somebody looks "fat" doesn't mean they aren't healthy. Just get regular exercise & eat healthy and don't worry about what your body looks like, as long as you feel good that is all that matters. I personally use the Keto diet plan and I have never felt better. If you are interested in my exact meal plan check out my website on my profile page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss