Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 05:26 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times

Advertisements

How long since "home economics" was taught in school? When it was, only for girls as it assumed they would all get married out of high school and become good little housewives doing all the cooking for their little nuclear family. How long since anybody's parents cooked anything on regular basis that didnt involve just popping it in microwave? Convenience has been marketed long as I remember and once it gained a foothold and old cooking from scratch traditions forgotten.... And I have been around before microwaves, but even olden days cold breakfast cereals and jello and cake mix and other conveniences. Yea some of this even pre-WWII though money less available back then and more people living rural. "Coca Cola hits the spot, costs a nickel, not a lot...." Grain also wasnt subsidized back then. It was still relatively cheap and easy to store, has been since humans took up agriculture and congregated in villiages and cities. The cheaper the ingredients, the more room for profit.

So how many people have a clue how to cook anything? I grew up on farm with older parents where most food cooked from scratch and my ex wife who grew up middle class urban and couldnt cook to save her soul. So I cooked meals out of pure self preservation. Divorced 30 years ago and cooking for one is very different yet. Then the T2 diabetes.... So my diet changed drastically once again. I cook cause I live very rural and it would be inconvenient to eat out and my diabetes means the high carb restaurant foods do more harm than good.

The low carb lacto ovo vegetarian diet I eat not cheap. Lot raw produce. Produce is not subsidized though its most healthy thing most people could eat, not high calorie or high carb, but healthy. Pop Tart diet or pancakes or any high carb diet mentioned above as the most bang for the buck "for the poor" would be death sentence or at least one for losing eye sight and few appendages for a T2. Hey I get it, GRAIN IS SUBSIDIZED, so we get plethora of options that are grain based. If you eliminated EVERYTHING with even modicum of HFCS or other grain derived ingredient at grocery store, it would make shelves look pretty bare. Even meat is subsidized cause livestock is fattened on SUBSIDIZED GRAIN. Even things like canned beans arent just beans, read the label! Even things like cottage cheese or yogurt, with exception of some high end ones like Daisy that are really just milk and bit salt, most have a label that takes up most of rear of carton and lot starchy fillers and other wonders of the modern world to maximize profit. Again cheapen anything and everything with grain or grain derived components because its SUBSIDIZED and thus CHEAP AND PROFITABLE. Sugar sells. Read about "bliss point" marketing. Expecting the poor to be immune to all this, standing strong and making their own better healthier decisions is kinda unrealistic. Many of you folk reading this may be in marketing or retired from career in marketing. Were you just taking your salary under false pretenses or were you overcoming consumer resistance to move more product? Was this marketing only aimed at the wealthy or were you trying to con anybody that could rub two nickels together to spend them on products you were promoting. Like it or not, you sold the poor on buying convenience just like everybody else. Maybe you should put a disclaimer in your ads like the pharmaceutical ads do. You know the ones that have the gal at end talking real fast saying use of this drug may result in death or at very least, your pecker may fall off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 06:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
“Eat them frozen out of the box”!!
Such behaviour can be expected of a savage beast, not a civilised person.
Pop tarts are frozen? When did this happen. I worked with a woman like 20+ years ago who got annoyed that the snack machine was always out of pop tarts, so she started her own snack business (we sat near the machine) selling pop tarts of various flavors. IIRC, she did quite well since she sold more flavors at the same price as the snack machine and would take requests. I think we did have a toaster in the office kitchen, but a lot of people ate them plain.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:09 PM

761 posts, read 445,877 times
The Atkins diet was the first low-carb diet that got started in the early 1970s. Then, over the years, many other copycat low-carb diets followed. Diet books like Keto, Paleo, wheat-belly, Grain-brain etc..

So the low-carb diets have been around for about 50 years now, using different names. And what do we have to show for it?

Nothing! Over those many years, the numbers of overweight and obese people has steadily increased.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:21 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
The Atkins diet was the first low-carb diet that got started in the early 1970s. Then, over the years, many other copycat low-carb diets followed. Diet books like Keto, Paleo, wheat-belly, Grain-brain etc..

So the low-carb diets have been around for about 50 years now, using different names. And what do we have to show for it?

Nothing! Over those many years, the numbers of overweight and obese people has steadily increased.

This is like criticizing vegan diet. It all depends on the diet. Vegan can mean crappo SAD diet only minus the meat, heavy on the carbs and highly processed fake meat, or it can be lot fresh produce.

Well the low carb diets can be anything from all meat all the time and lot gimmick "keto processed foods" imitating the high carb foods, or it could be lot fresh veggies, the less starchy ones and small amounts animal product.

So pretending all vegans eat same or all low carb people eat the same is a BIG fallacy in your argument.

Also if you notice most people that go on a diet, dont make actual long term lifestyle change, they go on a diet to for couple weeks to try and fit in that new summer swim suit or other such nonsense. If you dont seriously change lifestyle eating habits long term, its meaniningless.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
This is like criticizing vegan diet. It all depends on the diet. Vegan can mean crappo SAD diet only minus the meat, heavy on the carbs and highly processed fake meat, or it can be lot fresh produce.

Well the low carb diets can be anything from all meat all the time and lot gimmick "keto processed foods" imitating the high carb foods, or it could be lot fresh veggies, the less starchy ones and small amounts animal product.

So pretending all vegans eat same or all low carb people eat the same is a BIG fallacy in your argument.

Also if you notice most people that go on a diet, dont make actual long term lifestyle change, they go on a diet to for couple weeks to try and fit in that new summer swim suit or other such nonsense. If you dont seriously change lifestyle eating habits long term, its meaniningless.
Are you saying none of those books got it right?

Or are you saying none of the readers knew how to follow the instructions.

All the readers were only interested in short term weight loss? You believe that's the only thing they were interested in? Talk about pretending!

Old 01-10-2022, 01:43 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Are you saying none of those books got it right?

Or are you saying none of the readers knew how to follow the instructions.
Relatively few people follow instructions. That was one of the things I noticed in military basic training...people have to be taught to follow instructions, particularly when they aren't being watched. Even when they think they're following instructions...they're not.

Very few people have changed their lifestyle to a whole-food, low carbohydrate diet. Most people are eating highly processed foods, so that even many foods that appear to be low carbohydrate...aren't.

But those who do it right show all the advertised benefits.

The same will soon be true of vegans. Up until recently, there were no vegan junk foods. In another ten years, we'll see fat "vegans" as well. I have a "vegan" friend who is 300 pounds and growing because she eats all the vegan cakes and cookies and corn oil-fried tofu she can find.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Relatively few people follow instructions. That was one of the things I noticed in military basic training...people have to be taught to follow instructions, particularly when they aren't being watched. Even when they think they're following instructions...they're not.

Very few people have changed their lifestyle to a whole-food, low carbohydrate diet. Most people are eating highly processed foods, so that even many foods that appear to be low carbohydrate...aren't.

But those who do it right show all the advertised benefits.

The same will soon be true of vegans. Up until recently, there were no vegan junk foods. In another ten years, we'll see fat "vegans" as well. I have a "vegan" friend who is 300 pounds and growing because she eats all the vegan cakes and cookies and corn oil-fried tofu she can find.
So, according to you, it's hopeless? Because overweight people are not good at following instructions as detailed in all those books?

Some of the smartest people I've known were overweight.

So, what is your solution?

Old 01-10-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
So, according to you, it's hopeless? Because overweight people are not good at following instructions as detailed in all those books?

Some of the smartest people I've known were overweight.

So, what is your solution?
Native intelligence has nothing to do with being able to follow instructions.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Native intelligence has nothing to do with being able to follow instructions.
https://www.google.com/search?q=U.S....gdnd3Mtd2l6EAw

"The percentage of obesity went from 13.4% in 1980 to 34.3% in 2008

https://www.google.com/search?q=What...+2020&gs_lcp=C

Today the U.S. obesity rate is 42.4%

Does that mean, as the years go by, more and more people are unable to follow instructions?

https://www.medpagetoday.com/primarycare/obesity/90142

"Over 73% of U.S. Adults Overweight or Obese"

According to you, the vast majority of people in the U.S. are unable to follow instructions. (73%)

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 01-11-2022 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-11-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=U.S....gdnd3Mtd2l6EAw

"The percentage of obesity went from 13.4% in 1980 to 34.3% in 2008

https://www.google.com/search?q=What...+2020&gs_lcp=C

Today the U.S. obesity rate is 42.4%

Does that mean, as the years go by, more and more people are unable to follow instructions?

https://www.medpagetoday.com/primarycare/obesity/90142

"Over 73% of U.S. Adults Overweight or Obese"

According to you, the vast majority of people in the U.S. are unable to follow instructions. (73%)
Yes. But the inability to follow instructions is not a matter of native intelligence. Lots of extremely intelligent people are unable to follow instructions. Lots of people with lower intelligence are able to follow instructions diligently.

Lots of doctors, for instance, are obese smokers. Yet, they've very intelligent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss