Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2022, 05:51 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

What are all these sodas doing to people and when did people start drinking so many of them? Even "diet" soda isn't good for you and is full of chemicals. The "gut" is where problems begin.

What happened to people drinking tea, coffee, or a glass of water with their meals? If I believe what I read here on CD people drink SODA with their meals! Soda, if you drink it at all, is for a treat, a party drink, a picnic drink, not something you keep on hand and drink with your meals and drink all day long. I don't know what it does but I think it's responsible for a lot of the problems overweight people have. I agree with those who say that marketing has brainwashed people into wanting these things. Remember the cigarette and the beer ads? Same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 06:57 PM

310 posts, read 322,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So where are you taught some particular food is a con job and just 'junk'. Did you pop out of your mother knowing this? How do YOU know a Hershey bar isnt a nutrition powerhouse? Did somebody "tell" you? Your instincts are only that its sweet, therefore safe, and must be food. Innately you have no notion anything is more nutritious than anything else. Only that its food (didnt make Ogg in cave next door sick when he ate it) and since its sweet, its probably safe. Its not like the old Popeye cartoons where you eat your spinach and suddenly you can toss that muscleman Bluto halfway down the block.

Nutrition is only from this thing called science which has been politicized and twisted to mean whatever is in best interests of somebody with a particular political point of view, and apparently no longer actually taught in school or at least the children of those of certain political persuasions can opt out being exposed to it in concern it might cause the child to have a different point of view from the parent. So you rely on advertising telling you its heart healthy and part of a well balanced diet.
It does not take a genius to figure out what is healthy and what is not. For a lot of people it is willful ignorance. They would simply rather not know.

Kids are at the mercy of their parents. But they learn pretty quickly what food is healthy and what is not.

You are trying to make the point that people are just too stupid to know what healthy food is. I say people are a lot smarter than you've them credit for.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times
Quote:
I cant believe how many people dont believe marketing works. Ever see labels of "heart healthy" on highly processed high carb foods cause they are low fat. Misinformation galore. Go eat some more "heart healthy" sugar cookies and soda pop as part of a healthy varied diet... to reach your bliss point.... and buy more product... LOL
Heck yes, marketing works! Anyone who tries to insinuate otherwise is delusional. I remember years ago when some of the most popular sweeten cold cereal (sugary) was labeled with callouts on the box with the words "whole oats", "toasted oats", "corn", and "fortified with 11+ minerals and vitamins". This was also what was stated in the products' TV commercials. Children wanted the cereal and parents reading the box believed not only was it okay for children's breakfast but even healthy because the marketing said it was.

The same was done when the health food trend turned away from cow's milk and towards plant or nut milk (almond, coconut, soy, etc.). Does anybody remember what the food industry's response was? They revved up the marketing for cow's milk.

Everywhere you looked were advertisements featuring celebrities and sports heroes, at that time, with milk mustaches. They'd either say or their ad would read "Drink milk - it does a body good". The camera lens zoomed in on a large glass of creamy white milk that seemed so delicious that your mouth would water. Next thing you know, you begged your parent (or went to the grocery story yourself if old enough) to buy white milk.

I'm not arguing for or against cow's milk but just showing how a product that the health food industry said wasn't good for the human body long-term was countered by the food industry which revved up its marketing and go people to go back to same ole same ole.

This marketing works the same way for almost all the processed and junk food we eat. It's marketed to highlight one positive about it such as only 100 calories (new size Snickers bar) or no high fructose corn syrup but it downplays the remaining negatives about it (the bad stuff such as excess sugar and other additives).

Old 02-13-2022, 02:25 PM

I was in Walmart Supermarket last week and I passed the short shelves of food items stacked in the middle aisles. What caught my eye was a bottle of red syrup next to the regular pancake/waffle syrups. I was like "what the heck?"

Apparently, one of the candy breakfast cereals has decided to expand into the syrup market. I can only imagine a child pouring this snow cone-esque syrup over their pancakes or waffles. It's a shame that stuff like this is allowed to be sold. A shame it's marketed to children.

Then people wonder why are so many people fat/obese in our country? Fat people are accused of eating dozens and dozens of cakes/cookies everyday as the reason for being fat. In reality, even if they're only eating meals and limited snacks, it's composed of junk that brings on the weight no matter what.

A lot, if not most of what they/we eat is marketed as having some positive health benefit when it's a lie. I will keep saying this - the government is the only entity big enough to regulate the food industry (and their marketing) to bring some health and sanity back. Only with strict gov't regulation in this industry will the obesity levels in our country drop significantly.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Pretty much never. It's 'Murica. Nobody forced you to know eating McDonald's everyday was a bad idea so it's totally McDonald's fault.
Surely, you don't believe that most fat people (about 60%+ of all Americans) eat McDonald's EVERYDAY? Hmm, McDonald's sure would like that to be a fact. Their profit margins would be through the roof. However, I just heard a few days ago an economic report and McDonald's latest profit statement doesn't bear out what you've said at all. Instead, McD's profits shows that other fast food restaurants have been cutting in into their share of the market which is why McD's keep turning new tricks: bringing out for a limited time the McRib for the umpteenth time, the latest updated revamped McChicken sandwich, wraps, and so forth.

But again, I understand the same old tropes keep getting pushed forward as fact even after it's been proven they're not true - such as all or even most fat people eat at fast food restaurants EVERYDAY. While one morbidly obese relative of mine does this, I know severally morbidly obese who do NOT, let me repeat DO NOT eat fast food daily. Not even weekly do they eat fast food; only once a blue moon such as when traveling and there are only limited food options.

Just think of the hundreds, thousands, or even millions of fat people who don't eat fast food everyday. The old trope doesn't explain the cause for their weight gain.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:17 AM

761 posts, read 445,877 times
Quote:
This is like criticizing vegan diet. It all depends on the diet. Vegan can mean crappo SAD diet only minus the meat, heavy on the carbs and highly processed fake meat, or it can be lot fresh produce.

Well the low carb diets can be anything from all meat all the time and lot gimmick "keto processed foods" imitating the high carb foods, or it could be lot fresh veggies, the less starchy ones and small amounts animal product.

So pretending all vegans eat same or all low carb people eat the same is a BIG fallacy in your argument.

Also if you notice most people that go on a diet, dont make actual long term lifestyle change, they go on a diet to for couple weeks to try and fit in that new summer swim suit or other such nonsense. If you dont seriously change lifestyle eating habits long term, its meaniningless.
First the excuse for being overweight was that the USDA food pyramid was misleading people by telling them to eat lots of carbs and avoid fat.

Then, as I said, there were many high protein, low carb, books written to turn people away from that, starting with the Atkins diet in the 1960s. And many copy-cat diets followed - more than I can count.
Now we're supposed to believe that Keto is different than all the others?

And, as far as attacking vegans, I don's see that as solving anything. I don't know of any mass marketing of books to attack vegans as being the problem. Sure, I know that not all vegans are interested in health and weight loss; some are vegans only because they are animal-rights activists.

But those who become vegans or vegetarians for health reasons are doing very well as can be seen by observing the Seventh Day Adventists in Loma Linda California. A formal study was done showing that they live, on average, 10 years longer than other Americans.

What nation or large group can you point to as an example of people on high protein diets doing well? There is no such example.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 02-14-2022 at 09:29 AM..

Old 02-18-2022, 03:25 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,064,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
First the excuse for being overweight was that the USDA food pyramid was misleading people by telling them to eat lots of carbs and avoid fat.

Then, as I said, there were many high protein, low carb, books written to turn people away from that, starting with the Atkins diet in the 1960s. And many copy-cat diets followed - more than I can count.
Now we're supposed to believe that Keto is different than all the others?

And, as far as attacking vegans, I don's see that as solving anything. I don't know of any mass marketing of books to attack vegans as being the problem. Sure, I know that not all vegans are interested in health and weight loss; some are vegans only because they are animal-rights activists.

But those who become vegans or vegetarians for health reasons are doing very well as can be seen by observing the Seventh Day Adventists in Loma Linda California. A formal study was done showing that they live, on average, 10 years longer than other Americans.

What nation or large group can you point to as an example of people on high protein diets doing well? There is no such example.
None of the world's healthiest and longest-living populations are vegan, vegetarian or keto. The healthiest populations eat a plant-based diet.

Seventh-day Adventists are not vegan or vegetarian. They eat a plant-based diet. Meat and animal products are not excluded from their diet --- only the ones they deem "unclean" (such as pork and shellfish) are forbidden. A few could be vegan or vegetarian but the vast majority are not.

A plant-based diet:
"Plant-based or plant forward eating patterns focus on foods primarily from plants. This includes not only fruits and vegetables, but also nuts, seeds, oils, whole grains, legumes, and beans. It doesn't mean that you are vegetarian or vegan and never eat meat or dairy. Rather, you are proportionally choosing more of your foods from plant sources."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018092614760

Old 02-19-2022, 09:17 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Gary Taubes' book "Salt Sugar Fat" talks about how processed food corporations have studied food addictions and fine-tune their products to hook consumers, make them crave more. It's just like cigarette companies adjusting nicotine to the perfect addictive amount.

I've spent the last month doing low carb intermittent fasting, with an unopened box of See's chocolates in the fridge. The plan was to open the box on Valentine's Day. For weeks, I looked forward to opening the box and gorging on chocolate.

But I turned the corner in time, and no longer crave sweets. V day came around, and we didn't get around to opening the chocolates. They're still in there, and I'm thinking, "So what? Let them sit there forever!"

But if you're eating processed foods on a regular basis, you're hooked.
Actually, they don't even have to be highly processed; organic butter, honey, and natural sea salt will satisfy the cravings, with similar health consequences.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:48 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Gary Taubes' book "Salt Sugar Fat" talks about how processed food corporations have studied food addictions and fine-tune their products to hook consumers, make them crave more. It's just like cigarette companies adjusting nicotine to the perfect addictive amount.

I've spent the last month doing low carb intermittent fasting, with an unopened box of See's chocolates in the fridge. The plan was to open the box on Valentine's Day. For weeks, I looked forward to opening the box and gorging on chocolate.

But I turned the corner in time, and no longer crave sweets. V day came around, and we didn't get around to opening the chocolates. They're still in there, and I'm thinking, "So what? Let them sit there forever!"

But if you're eating processed foods on a regular basis, you're hooked.
Actually, they don't even have to be highly processed; organic butter, honey, and natural sea salt will satisfy the cravings, with similar health consequences.
Try getting yourself addicted to heroin and leaving some in the fridge and let us know how it goes for you.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:55 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Try getting yourself addicted to heroin and leaving some in the fridge and let us know how it goes for you.
Thanks for adding your 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss