Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 05:23 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Genes, and likely gut conditions, ARE involved in how our bodies store fat.

IMO, you are very judgemental about others’ size. It sounds as if this is a preoccupation. Your posts sound as if you think you have all the answers. I apologize for being so blunt. But I do wonder why you are so invested in solving this problem, and why you feel you have so many answers.

Your analogy about lung cancer is imperfect. There is a difference between not starting a new, destructive behavior, and having to choose how to practice a necessary behavior every time you do it, three times every day of your life.
I agree. Plus, once you get to the point where you are super obsessive about making sure you don’t gain weight, that is also a new, destructive behavior. People who are larger can still develop nutritional deficits and obsessive eating behaviors.

People who really want to lose weight and are obese would benefit from working with their doctor to make sure they don’t have any hormonal or medicine-based reason for weight gain and then working with a registered dietician who help the person learn about a diet that is right for them and not just some fad diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 08:04 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I agree. Plus, once you get to the point where you are super obsessive about making sure you don’t gain weight, that is also a new, destructive behavior.
Yep, it's called orthorexia and while it's not diagnostically an eating disorder, it's definitely a sign of disordered eating.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Because I have obese close relatives I try not to judge others with weight issues. As a teen I wondered if obesity would happen to me too even though I did not overeat because I never saw my relatives overeat. Most of us are big Anglo-Saxon body types, tall, big boned and I haven't fit into those height/weight scales since I was 12.

Luckily I was almost never visually overweight except 2 years when life was crappy and that weight is gone now.

Modern food is the cause of obesity? Well cheap fatty/sugary food makes obesity much more prevalent than the 1950s but I had overweight relatives back then too so it's not all down to that. Poor people can point to cheap food for their obesity but that didn't make my relatives fat.

Research says that overweight people are not less healthy and don't live shorter lives than normal weight people. However Covid seems to hit overweight people more or perhaps their overweight was caused by poor health that Covid took advantage of. So hard to pin down what causes obesity.

I had obese family that lived long lives and thin family that died younger. Now that I'm not overweight I eat dessert when offered and take a daily walk. Girls gotta have fun.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:03 PM

984 posts, read 441,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You "only" eat pizza twice a month - you don't mention how many slices you get, and what's on that pizza. You eat at a sit down restaurant once a month. You don't mention what you eat when you go there. You know you don't exercise as much as you should. "Getting out" is not "exercise." Taking a walk down the block after dinner isn't exercise. That's "stretching your legs." Try jogging down the block. Or lunging halfway up the block and springing back. Or walking down the block while lifting 2-pound dumbbells in your hands at the same time. Or ride your bicycle, or play basketball with a friend for an hour, or go swimming, play tennis, work out a gym, do calisthenics, etc. etc. etc. Actual exercise.

You believe you may have a genetic predisposition to obesity, yet you seem to not be interested in doing EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to make sure you don't end up yielding to it.

You don't have to cut OUT carbs. You only have to cut DOWN on them. And even then, only the refined carbs. You don't have to starve yourself. You just have to monitor what you're eating, in what proportions, and modify that for your dietary needs. If you aren't willing to do that, then you're making excuses.

People who are genetically inclined to be obese, don't get obese because they're genetically inclined. They get obese because they know they CAN more easily become obese, and choose to do nothing to prevent it.

Sort of like if lung cancer runs in your family, and you know you're at risk of getting lung cancer, it's probably a really stupid idea to start smoking.
Right, I'm not willing to give up eating pizza a couple times per month (I eat two slices and I usually get mushrooms on it) and going out to eat occasionally. Having a thin body isn't worth that much to me, I suppose. Life is for living, not for watching genetically thin people enjoy the foods they like while you sit there eating iceberg lettuce, LOL.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:45 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Right, I'm not willing to give up eating pizza a couple times per month (I eat two slices and I usually get mushrooms on it) and going out to eat occasionally. Having a thin body isn't worth that much to me, I suppose. Life is for living, not for watching genetically thin people enjoy the foods they like while you sit there eating iceberg lettuce, LOL.
Well then don't complain about your weight. That's your choice.

The rest of us will try to eat more moderately, not deprive ourselves of anything at all, and lose a few pounds in the process.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:22 AM

984 posts, read 441,533 times
Quote:
Well then don't complain about your weight. That's your choice.

The rest of us will try to eat more moderately, not deprive ourselves of anything at all, and lose a few pounds in the process.
I can complain about whatever I want to.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:16 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
A good analogy is if someone were to "only" consume a surplus of 100 calories over what their body needs on a daily basis (think a splash of olive oil or a small fruit). In a year's time they would gain 10 pounds or something to that effect.

Goes to show how such a small "mistake" compounded daily can build up over time.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Very often you see that people who've never struggled to maintain their wait view their actions and their diets as virtuous. They've done all the right things in the right ways, and people who are heavier and struggle to maintain a lower weight are just not trying hard enough. What the science and studies are showing more and more is that everyone's body is different. If there are people who are naturally slim, naturally athletic, then there are also people who are naturally heavier because that is where their body's natural set point is. It's not a matter of good versus bad, and healthy can look different for different bodies.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-02-2022 at 08:19 AM..

Old 04-02-2022, 08:55 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Very often you see that people who've never struggled to maintain their wait view their actions and their diets as virtuous. They've done all the right things in the right ways, and people who are heavier and struggle to maintain a lower weight are just not trying hard enough. What the science and studies are showing more and more is that everyone's body is different. If there are people who are naturally slim, naturally athletic, then there are also people who are naturally heavier because that is where their body's natural set point is. It's not a matter of good versus bad, and healthy can look different for different bodies.
I'm overweight. Not obese, but pretty close. I know I need to lose 20 pounds. I also know I need to increase my muscle mass. I also know I need to eat better. I ALSO know that I'm not a hypocrite. I don't make excuses or try and justify my poor eating habits, and then complain that I'm overweight. It annoys me when other people do that. They're fooling themselves, they don't fool anyone else. They're overweight and you CAN eat better, and you CAN exercise more, and you have CHOSEN not to. They're not "willing" to give up their pizza. Well - if eliminating pizza will result in a pound lost every week for the next 6 months, and they're not "willing" to give it up, then it's not the pizza that's making them fat. It's their choices that are making them fat.

I know I need to cut down on carbs. Not eliminate them, but definitely cut down. But I'm not the one complaining here that I'm overweight and asking strangers on the internet to fix it for me.

Old 04-02-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I'm overweight. Not obese, but pretty close. I know I need to lose 20 pounds. I also know I need to increase my muscle mass. I also know I need to eat better. .
But a question is, why do you "need" to lose 20 pounds? Why is that number important above all? Is it because of your cholesterol or blood pressure? Are you prediabetic? Or is it because you don't like the number on the scale or the size of your clothes? That has a lot more to do with vanity than with health. Weight has been so tied up with looks for so long that we don't even realize that we're promoting unhealthy obsessions with metrics that have nothing to do with our actual health and quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss