Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2022, 05:17 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Unless you are the unwilling subject of a forced eating experiment, this just isn't true - all individuals have control of what goes in their mouths. Giving into impulse, is still control.
I certainly wasn't "giving in to impulse"; I was following the guidelines given by my doctor and by the US government. And they were BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 10:14 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I certainly wasn't "giving in to impulse"; I was following the guidelines given by my doctor and by the US government. And they were BS.
Why would you do that though? - who goes to a doctor or the government for advice on healthy eating?

Old 12-05-2022, 10:37 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Unless you are the unwilling subject of a forced eating experiment, this just isn't true - all individuals have control of what goes in their mouths. Giving into impulse, is still control.

So you were just born with a PhD in Chemistry and Biology? HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS HEALTHY, just cause some wack-job tweeted it or you saw it in video on youtube? The only innate thing I know we were born with is taste. IN NATURE, sweet things tend to be safe. It will only take another 500k years for our genetics to adjust to greed and processed fake/modified foods.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:43 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So you were just born with a PhD in Chemistry and Biology? HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS HEALTHY, just cause some wack-job tweeted it or you saw it in video on youtube? The only innate thing I know we were born with is taste. IN NATURE, sweet things tend to be safe. It will only take another 500k years for our genetics to adjust to greed and processed fake/modified foods.
And also, children might not have any control over what they eat and put in their mouths. They may not be provided with healthy, nourishing food and not taught to prepare good meals. They are given food from family and schools and don't purchase their own ingredients. Children learn eating habits that carry into adulthood. No one grows up in a vacuum.

When I was a kid, there was this huge push to make sure that we were drinking as much milk as possible. Why was that? Was it actual health, or just the dairy industry with a huge lobby?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 12-05-2022 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-05-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Why would you do that though? - who goes to a doctor or the government for advice on healthy eating?

Who do you go to? Some Q conspiracy theorist?

I mean if you mommy and daddy were clueless and you dont trust science, then exactly what do you trust?

Sure the pyramid thing was junk science bought and paid for by corporations, same with claiming one needs dairy or beef in your diet to be healthy, but if you dig bit deeper you will find real science, such as limiting your carbohydrate consumption to 275grams per day in a 2000calorie diet. Sounds reasonable to me. But of course this kind of real science gets no publicity, only the "heart healthy" pyramid junk science used to sell product. If the real science got publicity it would cut into sales of processed foods, assuming somebody bothered to pay attention. Easier for sure to just look at marketing buzz words like "heart healthy" and "no cholesterol" and "part of a well balanced daily diet".....

Letting corporations off scott free and pretending its all the consumer's choice, is pure beautiful sunshine, and not in a good way. People pay attention to misleading advertising. If you have a direct line to GOD as to whats healthy or not, you are truly blessed. Hear me o Jesus, guide me to what brand of cereal is healthy.... LOL

Old 12-05-2022, 10:57 AM

IMHO, if you want a good rule of thumb, eat a boatload of fresh produce, and tiny amounts of everything else. But of course nobody wants to hear this. Notice fresh produce is about the only food in grocery store with no subsidies or heavy advertising. That has to be a good thing. Watch the money trail. If its highly profitable or heavily subsidized by tax dollars, or heavily advertised, then its probably not all that healthy.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:24 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Twinkies grow on trees?

Quote:
Who do you go to? Some Q conspiracy theorist?

What????

Quote:
Sure the pyramid thing was junk science bought and paid for by corporations, same with claiming one needs dairy or beef in your diet to be healthy, but if you dig bit deeper you will find real science, such as limiting your carbohydrate consumption to 275grams per day in a 2000calorie diet. Sounds reasonable to me. But of course this kind of real science gets no publicity, only the "heart healthy" pyramid junk science used to sell product. If the real science got publicity it would cut into sales of processed foods, assuming somebody bothered to pay attention. Easier for sure to just look at marketing buzz words like "heart healthy" and "no cholesterol" and "part of a well balanced daily diet".....

Letting corporations off scott free and pretending its all the consumer's choice, is pure beautiful sunshine, and not in a good way. People pay attention to misleading advertising. If you have a direct line to GOD as to whats healthy or not, you are truly blessed. Hear me o Jesus, guide me to what brand of cereal is healthy.... LOL
Food pyramid? - why would you need a food pyramid?

It's simple - if your eating makes you fat, then change it.

Quote:
IMHO, if you want a good rule of thumb, eat a boatload of fresh produce, and tiny amounts of everything else. But of course nobody wants to hear this. Notice fresh produce is about the only food in grocery store with no subsidies or heavy advertising. That has to be a good thing. Watch the money trail. If its highly profitable or heavily subsidized by tax dollars, or heavily advertised, then its probably not all that healthy.
If people don't want to hear this, then it's their fault.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:15 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Produce is heavily subsidized in the US. Agribusiness is a multi-trillion-dollar industry that relies on subsidies. Corn is the biggest subsidized crop, double-subsidized. Initially with the raw farmed corn, and a second time with corn ethanol subsidies.

Corn, soy, wheat, and rice are the four top-subsidized crops in the country, and the Fed gives farmers approximately $38 -billion- dollars every single year in subsidies.

Old 12-07-2022, 01:09 AM

24,618 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
The real culprit IMO is the food manufacturing industry. It’s the one thread that runs through it all.
It doesn't matter who is at fault, it's still not healthy.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:42 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
* Moderator, I didn't know where to put this thread topic.

As a person who is currently height and weight proportionate, who has worked out fairly consistently for about 15 years (although I’ve had a few pauses which lasted months), who doesn’t drink, binge eat, or gorge myself, I have a healthy appetite. Yet, I’ve reflected over this for a while now, at least a couple of years.

If you are fat, stop beating yourself up over it or constantly wondering why you’re having so much trouble getting thin. You work out or cut back on eating for a time and barely see any progress when you look in the mirror or in your clothes.

I will expound on the culprit in another post. Just realize that “Being FAT is not 100% your fault”! Yes, you have some responsibility for it and you should be PHYSICALLY ACTIVE. But there are some aspects beyond your control which is why I say it’s not completely (100%) your fault.
I agree. As someone who has lost weight and gained weight, been (borderline) obese, skinny, and in-between, I would say that there are a lot of factors, tons of factors at play.

Among the factors are body chemistry, thyroid, hormones, medications, food (much bigger factor than you realize).

My advice for people who want to lose weight, your best bet is to avoid fast food.

But yeah, whatever you do, do not beat yourself down for your weight. At the same time, don't resort to making excuses. At some point, if you keep at it, you just might finally slim down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss