Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2022, 11:51 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,343,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
The real culprit IMO is the food manufacturing industry. It’s the one thread that runs through it all.

The preservatives, the pesticides, the liquids, supplements, and diet in the animal feedlots (which in turn impacts all animal products in restaurants - not just the fast-foods but also the food purchased when grocery shopping), is garbage.

It has only gotten progressive worse over the past five decades (look at pics of people over the past 50 years and you'll see their body shapes for all ages look much better then than now) which is why the obesity rate is so high.

It’s a reflection of the type of food available for mass consumption. Very few people can escape the results. I can’t believe most people haven’t been able to connect the dots.
Pretty scary stuff. But at least, the food in the grocery stores don't seem to be quite as bad as fast foods. From what I see, things are getting progressively worse. I used to be able to maintain a healthy weight even with fast foods just 10 years ago. Now, either because of changes with aging or changes in the fast food industry, if I even bite into something from a fast food restaurant, I am taking a huge risk. I have to prepare my own food, and it makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Unless you are the unwilling subject of a forced eating experiment, this just isn't true - all individuals have control of what goes in their mouths. Giving into impulse, is still control.
Well, I can't argue with that. No matter what I point out. It will only prove your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Why would you do that though? - who goes to a doctor or the government for advice on healthy eating?
The "uninitiated".

People who believe in them.

Old 12-12-2022, 12:00 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I think sometimes it is genetic. I have a thin niece with three children. Two are a healthy weight and one has always been big. The girl was raised on the same food as her siblings and was always very active in dance and cheerleading. No one can really understand why, but by the time she finished high school she was bigger than ever.

Old 12-12-2022, 12:09 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
My advice for people who want to lose weight, your best bet is to avoid fast food.
For me, what's helpful is the belief that all foods can fit in a healthy diet. Do I eat fast food regularly? No, of course not, but the notion that I could never have McDonald's fries ever in my life is a joyless thought.

Old 12-12-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
For me, what's helpful is the belief that all foods can fit in a healthy diet. Do I eat fast food regularly? No, of course not, but the notion that I could never have McDonald's fries ever in my life is a joyless thought.
In the beginning, it was for me. But then three things happened;

1. I realized how much better I felt, how much more clearly I thought. How easier it was to manage my weight, etc.

2. Never say never. As of right now, we can still have a McDonalds fry every once in a while. I believe that as recent as 10 years ago, fast food was a tad different

3. There are a lot of great tasting foods that actually taste better than anything from maybe even the best of McDonalds.

And yes, all foods can fit into a healthy diet. Keyword is food. A lot of the processed foods and unfortunately even the "healthy and natural foods" have stuff in it that is not food and is harmful or poisonous to our body. And it is getting worse from what I hear.

We... are... in... trouble.

You probably can still lose weight from fast food, but it might be a lot more difficult for a lot of reasons. I couldn't. I just couldn't based on what was happening to my body. I had to really change things up. I might eat a fast food meal again at some point. But I'll eat it only as often as you do (which is not regularly).

Old 12-12-2022, 01:46 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Pretty scary stuff. But at least, the food in the grocery stores don't seem to be quite as bad as fast foods. From what I see, things are getting progressively worse. I used to be able to maintain a healthy weight even with fast foods just 10 years ago. Now, either because of changes with aging or changes in the fast food industry, if I even bite into something from a fast food restaurant, I am taking a huge risk. I have to prepare my own food, and it makes a huge difference.
It's changes with aging. The human body's metabolism changes as it ages, your ability to carry your current weight, your ability to lose weight, your ability to gain it - the elasticity of your skin, muscle tone - it all changes. When you get older you have to work harder to maintain what you have. And at some point, even that won't work. That's why you get wrinkles, why your skin will sag around the knees and upper arms even if you're a body-builder and 100% fit and toned.

Old 12-12-2022, 01:48 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
The "uninitiated".

People who believe in them.
The government says to eat healthy foods mostly, avoid unhealthy foods, and get plenty of exercise. And to supplement if you are deficient in any nutrients.

So you're saying I shouldn't believe that?

Que the Qanon music.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The government says to eat healthy foods mostly, avoid unhealthy foods, and get plenty of exercise. And to supplement if you are deficient in any nutrients.

So you're saying I shouldn't believe that?

Que the Qanon music.
Ask Joe.

Cue Law and Order theme

Actually, that is what common sense says.

Government says that you're a victim, everything is the fault of insert any "ism" you can think of. Body positivity, eat anything you want and rely on a certain "magic pill" etc.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It's changes with aging. The human body's metabolism changes as it ages, your ability to carry your current weight, your ability to lose weight, your ability to gain it - the elasticity of your skin, muscle tone - it all changes. When you get older you have to work harder to maintain what you have. And at some point, even that won't work. That's why you get wrinkles, why your skin will sag around the knees and upper arms even if you're a body-builder and 100% fit and toned.
To a certain extent. I doubt that you would have all those changes in your 30s.

Unless there are other factors than aging at play.

I'm only speaking for myself. While my metabolism is not going to be like it was in my teens and twenties, there was really no need for me to balloon up to obesity in my 30s.

Doctor: You have gained a lot of weight. That is unhealthy

Me: But I have aged. I'm a lot older.

Doctor: How old are you?

Me: 34

Doctor: THAT IS HARDLY OLD!!! THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THEIR 40s THAT ARE MAINTAINING A HEALTHY WEIGHT. JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE OLD DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO BLOW UP LIKE YOU ARE COMPETING WITH JABBA THE HUTT!!! GET YOUR LAZY OFF THE COUCH, GET SOME EXERCISE AND LAY OFF THE FAST FOOD!!!

Me (Walks away sheepishly)

Old 12-12-2022, 06:40 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Ask Joe.

Cue Law and Order theme

Actually, that is what common sense says.

Government says that you're a victim, everything is the fault of insert any "ism" you can think of. Body positivity, eat anything you want and rely on a certain "magic pill" etc.
It has to do with the idiotic Food Pyramid, now (Food Plate), that pushed eating huge amounts of grains, including GMO modern wheat. Fats of any kind were to be avoided, or consumed "sparingly." This resulted in the "healthy whole grains" marketing that resulted in an even greater spike in obesity. Modern wheat moved into the food supply 100% by the mid 1980's. This was different due to the fact that modern wheat is a high yield and semi-dwarf strain with a much higher gluten content than the wheat that was consumed in the past. Many people suffered deleterious health consequences from this, look at the exponential growth in obesity that started in 1985 and continues to the present day, the facts are as plain as day. The growth of fast foods, processed foods, and frozen foods all mostly contain wheat as well, what a surprise. Stop subsidizing corn as well for high fructose corn syrup, another awful GMO product.

Percentage of the US population in 1984 Obese or Overweight: 14%
Percentage of the US population in 2020 Obese or Overweight: 70%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss