Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2022, 09:36 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Most chip varieties don't contain gluten, soy, or processed dairy, and are easier to find in organic/non GMO formats. I can consume larger quantities occasionally with no impact on weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 10:10 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What I've been reading is that denying yourself something that enjoy, like chips, creates a scarcity mindset, and that can trigger cravings and ultimately binging. It's better to try to find a way to incorporate it into your life. Buy a snack sized bag of chips and enjoy it. Put a handful of chips on a plate with raw veggies and yogurt dip for a snack. When you habituate yourself to a trigger food and allow yourself to have it, you're not going around fixating on it and then beating yourself up for being "bad." (And this is all easier said than done.)
I've been reading about the gut biome. There a lots of different varieties of microbial critters in our guts, and they specialize in different kinds of foods. If you eat a lot of veggies, your veggie-eating microbes flourish. If you eat loads of carbs, those microbes expand their population.
Apparently, cravings may be caused by the microbes, not by our minds or bodies. If you give up carbs, your carb-loving microbes suffer a die-off. Similar for meat or beans or whatever. So if you can wait it out, you can kill off most of the microbes that crave a type of food.
Increasing healthy microbes is the point of pre-biotics; they serve as food for the good microbes.

We got two boxes of See's chocolate (mmm, I've loved those since I was a kid!) for Christmas. We scarfed one down right away, and I was sorely tempted to open the second one. But we decided to keep it for Valentine's Day. I could hardly wait, and I thought of them often.

In mid-January, I started eating low-carb; no sugar or chocolate, hardly any grains or beans.
By the time V Day came around (just a month later), I was no longer interested in the chocolate. It's still in the fridge, unopened.

I think I've killed off my Sees Chocolates-loving microbes. Poor little guys.
But I had blood tests last week, and my labs are awesome! Best-ever cholesterol, A1C and glucose are both down into the normal range. Totally worth murdering some microbes.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:39 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times
My own experience is that way my body processes carbs is different. I can eat a small bag of chips 140 Cal and see a lb or even two go no from that single bag even if I eat low carb most of the day. Could be years of obesity causes carbs to go mostly to fat storage first before it burns. My AIC isn't normal around 5.7 to 6.1 over the last few years likely I'm insulin resistant. Only way to fix that without drugs is low carb family genes type 2 and high cholesterol so I limit the saturated fats also stick to low fat meats and fish.

When you say it's not your fault I agree everyone body processes food differently my own feeling is also could be years of being obese changed my body. I need to be lot more careful what I eat then someone who never was obese.

I don't blame the US food chain no one forced me to eat unhealthy believe me I spent lot of my youth eating poorly mostly choses made on taste alone. I would never judge anyone else I'm only responsible for myself.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:56 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I don't blame the US food chain no one forced me to eat unhealthy believe me I spent lot of my youth eating poorly mostly choses made on taste alone. I would never judge anyone else I'm only responsible for myself.

Are you claiming NOBODY ENCOURAGED UNHEALTHY EATING? Have you watched tv lately. Ever seen a commercial in your life? Yea nobody is holding you down, sticking a funnel in your mouth and pouring in soda pop. But same difference, SINCE THEY ARE promoting UNHEALTHY FOOD FOR PROFIT! If it all makes no difference, lets have all food packaged as generic with NO INHERENT NUTRITIONAL BENEFIT stamped on label if indeed its just processed glop to enhance profit and food addiction. You do realize BLISS POINT is a real thing, food processors actual determine the optimal amount sweetner to guarantee maximum profit. They just as well hold people down and stick a funnel in their mouth.

And who exactly is teaching healthy eating? Parents raised on junk food? Govt bought and paid for by big corporate interests? Schools with their own profit interests? Is there anybody with a corner on what is HEALTHY EATING beyond vague govt recommendations you only usually hear about when its twisted to sell something? Low cholesterol cereals when NO GRAIN contains cholesterol? How many times do you EVER HEAR that healthy adult shouldnt eat more than 275grams of carbohydrates in a 2000 calorie diet?? Could it be because too many people making money selling high profit high carb foods?

Or do people just inherently know what long list of nutrients and chemicals are good, bad, or indifferent. Born knowing what fruit loops are? Seriously in natural world, sweet usually means safe food, we are hardwired to know this, thus attracted to such. But in an industrial high profit world this is used to sell product at large markup. In modern world nothing gets banned until bunch people die. Bag of spinach contaminated with e-coli makes the news. Dont see tv news telling people what is actually healthy just sound bytes about latest fad notion of coffee good or coffee bad or red wine good or red wine bad, stuff that grabs peoples attention without actual serious advice. Its what is called click bait in modern times. Dont see schools telling anybody what exactly is healthy, you know the schools with the candy and soda vending machines to increase their revenue. Or the schools wanting to feed students the cheapest highest carb filler foods again for profit motivations. Fresh fruit and veggies costs a whole lot more money than macaroni with imitation powdered cheese product added.

Old 05-15-2022, 12:03 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've been reading a lot about intuitive eating lately, and it's interesting. It's not about dieting and losing weight, but reframing our relationship to food. We're so entrenched in diet culture that it's normal to declare entire food groups as "bad", to spend hours doing exercise that you don't enjoy, or to walk around hungry all day and think that's being disciplined and virtuous. Intuitive eating is about feeding your body with nourishment and satisfaction, and sometimes that's grilled fish, and sometime that's an ice cream cone. There's room for it all.
Also, isn't it about when you eat? "Intuitive" would indicate eating whenever you felt like it, instead of set meal times. In retirement, we sleep late and get around to eating around 1:00 or 2:00 and that's it for the day for a planned meal. We might have a healthy snack during TV, like splitting a package of pistachios or homemade chocolate pudding (100% cocoa, coconut milk, eggs and 1/2 c. sugar split 4 ways) both of which are not really unhealthy to imbibe occasionally and satisfy that snack/salty/sweet urge.

A dessert to us is in place of a meal, not added to it. I am so much more comfortable eating this way and not obsessing over exactly what and how much we eat. No calorie counting, ugh.

I make my exercise enjoyable by watching nature documentaries while on the elliptical and exercise bike. I don't dread it, either. Feel better afterwards, too.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:01 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Are you claiming NOBODY ENCOURAGED UNHEALTHY EATING? Have you watched tv lately. Ever seen a commercial in your life? Yea nobody is holding you down, sticking a funnel in your mouth and pouring in soda pop. But same difference, SINCE THEY ARE promoting UNHEALTHY FOOD FOR PROFIT! If it all makes no difference, lets have all food packaged as generic with NO INHERENT NUTRITIONAL BENEFIT stamped on label if indeed its just processed glop to enhance profit and food addiction. You do realize BLISS POINT is a real thing, food processors actual determine the optimal amount sweetner to guarantee maximum profit. They just as well hold people down and stick a funnel in their mouth.

And who exactly is teaching healthy eating? Parents raised on junk food? Govt bought and paid for by big corporate interests? Schools with their own profit interests? Is there anybody with a corner on what is HEALTHY EATING beyond vague govt recommendations you only usually hear about when its twisted to sell something? Low cholesterol cereals when NO GRAIN contains cholesterol? How many times do you EVER HEAR that healthy adult shouldnt eat more than 275grams of carbohydrates in a 2000 calorie diet?? Could it be because too many people making money selling high profit high carb foods?

Or do people just inherently know what long list of nutrients and chemicals are good, bad, or indifferent. Born knowing what fruit loops are? Seriously in natural world, sweet usually means safe food, we are hardwired to know this, thus attracted to such. But in an industrial high profit world this is used to sell product at large markup. In modern world nothing gets banned until bunch people die. Bag of spinach contaminated with e-coli makes the news. Dont see tv news telling people what is actually healthy just sound bytes about latest fad notion of coffee good or coffee bad or red wine good or red wine bad, stuff that grabs peoples attention without actual serious advice. Its what is called click bait in modern times. Dont see schools telling anybody what exactly is healthy, you know the schools with the candy and soda vending machines to increase their revenue. Or the schools wanting to feed students the cheapest highest carb filler foods again for profit motivations. Fresh fruit and veggies costs a whole lot more money than macaroni with imitation powdered cheese product added.
I only speak for myself when I was still living at home my parents did give us much healthier foods. I didn't drink soda, or eat frosted flakes. I grew up thin wasn't obese until I got out on my own ate lot of junk food pizza, fast food, all the stuff that taste good. I didn't exercise because I finished high school went to college my education and line of work computer technology meant I spent lot of time sitting on my butt. My own fault no one forced food on me I made choices what I ate. The first thing I needed to do was recognize that only I can change the way I eat. To do that have to acknowledged I got to this point because of my own choices. I'm not speaking for anyone else just myself I don't blame anyone else but myself. Others can blame who they wish it's irrelevant to me the food offered isn't going to change, so I had to change. I knew what was heathy and what wasn't I think many others do as well.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:29 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post

Agree with you so much!

My parents and TV commercials didn't model a healthy eating pattern for me--we were raised with way too much sugar. In sugary cereal, in candy, and in all the soda that came into our house!

I have many fillings and crowned teeth to prove the point. It wasn't until years later that I taught myself healthy eating and nutrition. Not even my doctors ever brought up diet with me...

Now, my husband and I are mostly plant-based vegetarians, have reached healthy weights, we exercise every day and our health is robust.

The Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) is not a path to good health.

Let's be honest--have you ever seen a commercial for broccoli on a Sunday morning cartoon show for kids? Nope--the commercials are all about cereals heavy with sugar or other junk foods.

Our society is training kids in poor eating.

And our kids are now coming down with diabetes and obesity by the boatload.

Makes me very sad.

A life of being unhealthy from cradle to grave.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:28 PM

3,112 posts, read 1,006,463 times
The doctors, they never study nutrition in medical school. At best a 3 hour class, one time or so. They treat the symptoms, with medication. That's all. They never ask about the causes. Or your diet. Always pushing medication to suppress the symptoms. What about the side effects of the medications? It's the leading cause of death in the US. No one talks about it. We can't watch a movie on tv without commercials for drugs. All are happy and have a great time there in nature in the commercial while a voice talks about side effects in a cheerful tone. You can basically die (the voice says) because of side effects for a medication for ... fungus, for example. Yeah...I would rather live with the fungus, than die, thanks a lot!

If the diet is not important, I don't know what is.

Unfortunately, doctors today...they always choose the most expensive procedure that exists, never the cheapest or healthiest. Most of them, not all of them. It is sad.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:55 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
The doctors, they never study nutrition in medical school. At best a 3 hour class, one time or so. They treat the symptoms, with medication. That's all. They never ask about the causes. Or your diet. Always pushing medication to suppress the symptoms. What about the side effects of the medications? It's the leading cause of death in the US. No one talks about it. We can't watch a movie on tv without commercials for drugs. All are happy and have a great time there in nature in the commercial while a voice talks about side effects in a cheerful tone. You can basically die (the voice says) because of side effects for a medication for ... fungus, for example. Yeah...I would rather live with the fungus, than die, thanks a lot!

If the diet is not important, I don't know what is.

Unfortunately, doctors today...they always choose the most expensive procedure that exists, never the cheapest or healthiest. Most of them, not all of them. It is sad.
Unfortunately, doctors are in bed with big pharma so this isn't going to change. But I agree that taking pill after pill is not sustainable.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:52 AM

3,112 posts, read 1,006,463 times
Death caused by side effects of medications is not the leading cause of death in the US, it's on the third place. I made a mistake.

Big pharma, yes. And they finance the medical schools too. A full circle. Shameful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss