Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 03:00 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That people don't actually have gluten issues. I mean, certainly some do but there's a lot who, well, don't. Overhearing people talk about spelt bread and oh how they could eat that one because it didn't have gluten is hilarious. Just roll your eyes and moving along.
Gluten has almost as great a mythos as eggs.
If you have celiac disease, gluten will make you sick; such folks are usually skinny and have digestive issues.
Some people are worried about the the lectin in gluten, which is a chemical that plants produce to discourage critters from eating them. Some people are more sensitive to lectins than others.
Some avoid gluten because they think it is full of carbs. (It's a protein, very low in carbs).
And some vegetarians use it as a good source of protein.

go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 04:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Then you wonder why peasant women the world over seem to be heavy, no matter what their diet is.

I've been watching documentaries (while I exercise! ) from all over the world and here are fat/obese Mongolian women, Pacific Islanders, Inuit, and many others. Our indigenous Quechua women here down from the Andes for market day, are all quite round and heavy. They have no money for junk food.

Same with our locals here on the coast. No one has money for junk food but everyone is chubby (not obese though). It's weird.

It seems the African continent is the last to get commonly fat.
I’ve been thinking about all the old photos of mothers I’ve seen. Older mothers and grandmas seemed to be fat. I think bearing children causes weight gain and it is hard to diet it off. I certainly had weight gain after I gave birth. My paternal grandma who gave birth 11 times was certainly fat, and she had diabetes in her old age as well. Maybe it was expected of older women to simply gain weight as they aged?

Old 05-05-2022, 05:00 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
The answer to the source of widespread obesity may be found in this informative video
-- - -- - --
What is so special about the human brain?
http://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herc...he_human_brain
- - - -- - - --
[spoiler]
The key to our amazing brain size is cooking - which is also our bane - the source of our obesity. But since the BRAIN demands to be fed, no amount of will power will defeat it, in the long run.

KETOGENIC diets (high fat, moderate protein, low carbs) seem to satiate best, and curb binges. Remember, there are essential fats and essential proteins, but no essential carbohydrates.

Unfortunately, since the 1970s, the government has been promoting the "wrong" diet... high carbs, moderate protein, low fat... and it's KILLING US.

"Carb Loaded"
>>It's not just the obese who are getting sick from carbs <<
Low-Fat diets are killers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBb5...ature=youtu.be
Attack of the CARBS
- The rise in diabetes in thin people who eat ‘healthy’ low fat diets, exercise regularly and comply with all the dietary guidelines of the Status Quo.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
He was an actor, chosen especially for the way he looked and his acting skills. I would never assume that an actor from any time period is typical of that period.

Movie makeup and costuming are often era specific, though; it makes me nuts when they do a period piece but use modern styles. For instance, the movie, "Roxie Hart" was set in the 1920s, but made in the 1940s. The star wears '40s makeup and costumes throughout the movie, while the rest of the cast is more 1920s. It's based on the same true story as the musical "Chicago" (which has better costuming).
He was chosen for his acting skills, for sure. But I think he looked typical. He portrayed a lower class kid. I am not assuming anything, but seeing him made me think about how undersized he looked to my eyes.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:24 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Gluten has almost as great a mythos as eggs.
If you have celiac disease, gluten will make you sick; such folks are usually skinny and have digestive issues.
Some people are worried about the the lectin in gluten, which is a chemical that plants produce to discourage critters from eating them. Some people are more sensitive to lectins than others.
Some avoid gluten because they think it is full of carbs. (It's a protein, very low in carbs).
And some vegetarians use it as a good source of protein.

go figure.
No, the US wheat is the worst quality found in any developed country. Full of horrible preservatives, chemicals, and modified dramatically ever since the mid 1980's. Modern wheat has a very high gluten content and causes direct and indirect deleterious health impacts on a large percentage of the population whether or not they realize it or not. Prior to the mid 1980's when modern wheat was not in the food supply, the percentage of the obese and overweight population in the US was 14% (1984). Now it is 70% (2021).
The solution is to avoid wheat whenever possible, and you won't have any issues with weight.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:55 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, the US wheat is the worst quality found in any developed country. Full of horrible preservatives, chemicals, and modified dramatically ever since the mid 1980's. Modern wheat has a very high gluten content and causes direct and indirect deleterious health impacts on a large percentage of the population whether or not they realize it or not. Prior to the mid 1980's when modern wheat was not in the food supply, the percentage of the obese and overweight population in the US was 14% (1984). Now it is 70% (2021).
The solution is to avoid wheat whenever possible, and you won't have any issues with weight.
Avoiding wheat is a big first step for sure.

But then there's sugar and greasy foods...

Being a non-junk food vegetarian seems to work for most everybody...

But most find it too restricting...especially in our typical American diet of pizza, burgers, donuts, fries, wings, chips, soft drinks, and meat & potatoes...

This Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) is proving lethal and disease-causing for way too many of us...

Old 05-13-2022, 07:11 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
I've been reading a lot about intuitive eating lately, and it's interesting. It's not about dieting and losing weight, but reframing our relationship to food. We're so entrenched in diet culture that it's normal to declare entire food groups as "bad", to spend hours doing exercise that you don't enjoy, or to walk around hungry all day and think that's being disciplined and virtuous. Intuitive eating is about feeding your body with nourishment and satisfaction, and sometimes that's grilled fish, and sometime that's an ice cream cone. There's room for it all.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:15 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Avoiding wheat is a big first step for sure.

But then there's sugar and greasy foods...

Being a non-junk food vegetarian seems to work for most everybody...

But most find it too restricting...especially in our typical American diet of pizza, burgers, donuts, fries, wings, chips, soft drinks, and meat & potatoes...

This Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) is proving lethal and disease-causing for way too many of us...
It may be "restrictive" for the average person, but it is very easy to approach to continue over a long period of time. The first key point is to be an expert "label reader," meaning look at the ingredients of everything you purchase. I avoid anything with wheat, malted barley, soybean oil, soy lecithin, whey, and other processed dairy derivatives. I don't eat much in the way of processed or frozen foods. If I buy a fast food item I look at the ingredients and nutrient information online. I actually consume some gluten free food items. They aren't very nutritious, but they don't feature any of the appetite stimulating properties of modern wheat, and all the other deleterious effects that come from consuming it.
The big takeaway for me is that it is easy to avoid items, especially when you lose the appetite stimulating properties of addicting foods (for many people).

Old 05-13-2022, 07:17 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've been reading a lot about intuitive eating lately, and it's interesting. It's not about dieting and losing weight, but reframing our relationship to food. We're so entrenched in diet culture that it's normal to declare entire food groups as "bad", to spend hours doing exercise that you don't enjoy, or to walk around hungry all day and think that's being disciplined and virtuous. Intuitive eating is about feeding your body with nourishment and satisfaction, and sometimes that's grilled fish, and sometime that's an ice cream cone. There's room for it all.
Definitely a good mindset to have. Moderation has been the key.

Problem with processed foods (chips, cookies, etc.), it's been processed to not allow a person to consume in moderation. That old saying about Lay's "bet you can't eat just one" isn't just a slogan, it's science.

I'm guilty as most people - you start with 1, then 5, then it's the whole bag.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:29 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Definitely a good mindset to have. Moderation has been the key.

Problem with processed foods (chips, cookies, etc.), it's been processed to not allow a person to consume in moderation. That old saying about Lay's "bet you can't eat just one" isn't just a slogan, it's science.

I'm guilty as most people - you start with 1, then 5, then it's the whole bag.
What I've been reading is that denying yourself something that enjoy, like chips, creates a scarcity mindset, and that can trigger cravings and ultimately binging. It's better to try to find a way to incorporate it into your life. Buy a snack sized bag of chips and enjoy it. Put a handful of chips on a plate with raw veggies and yogurt dip for a snack. When you habituate yourself to a trigger food and allow yourself to have it, you're not going around fixating on it and then beating yourself up for being "bad." (And this is all easier said than done.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss