Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2022, 07:39 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
Cop out. The amount of people that have a genuine disorder that makes them obese where they cannot do anything about it is very small.
That may be true, but there are a lot of people who have disorders that may contribute to obesity and people don’t know they have it. For example, I think about 10% of women have PCOS, but many are not diagnosed until they try to become pregnant or have other significant issues. I had a friend who was able to lose a lot of weight once she was diagnosed, but until that diagnosis, she had no idea why she was gaining the weight in the first place. I have a male friend with Hashimoto’s and it took him a while to get diagnosed as well, as it is much less likely that men will get Hashimoto’s. I think people underestimate how certain diseases or even medications can contribute to weight gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times
<With every other addition in our society, the addict is never at fault or blamed.>

Absolutely not true.. or, it shouldn't be! but that's a topic for another thread...

Old 02-02-2022, 06:07 PM

408 posts, read 259,894 times
I think that everyone is correct.

There is processed food everywhere and added sugar in almost everything.

On the other hand I got behind a very, very heavy guy in the supermarket line. He had regular Cokes, hot dog buns, and an obscene amount of processed cheese in his basket along with other junk food. BTW, it was 15 degrees outside so I was pretty sure he was not going to a picnic.

Dude, really?

Old 02-03-2022, 09:56 AM

310 posts, read 323,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
I think that everyone is correct.

There is processed food everywhere and added sugar in almost everything.

On the other hand I got behind a very, very heavy guy in the supermarket line. He had regular Cokes, hot dog buns, and an obscene amount of processed cheese in his basket along with other junk food. BTW, it was 15 degrees outside so I was pretty sure he was not going to a picnic.

Dude, really?
Whenever I see large people in the supermarket there are always sodas and junky stuff in their cart. If people could just stay away from all the processed crap we would be a healthier nation. But fast and processed foods are everywhere. If you are sedentary and watch a lot of the TV, fast, processed foods are presented as delicious and cheap.
Every now and again I will watch My 600 Pound Life, (when my kids are home they will watch it and I tend to get sucked in), these people are hooked on junk food. They are not eating massive amounts of fruits and vegetables, or home cooked lean proteins and healthy fats. They are at the drive thru or someone is bringing them junk. Their taste buds have morphed into loving junk and they have no idea when they are actually full. They eat massive amounts of horrible food and then wash it down with soda.
Maybe it's an addiction. Maybe it's not. Its sad that is for sure. I cannot even imagine how horrible it must be to feel so terrible every day.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:50 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
Quote:
Whenever I see large people in the supermarket there are always sodas and junky stuff in their cart. If people could just stay away from all the processed crap we would be a healthier nation. But fast and processed foods are everywhere. If you are sedentary and watch a lot of the TV, fast, processed foods are presented as delicious and cheap.
Every now and again I will watch My 600 Pound Life, (when my kids are home they will watch it and I tend to get sucked in), these people are hooked on junk food. They are not eating massive amounts of fruits and vegetables, or home cooked lean proteins and healthy fats. They are at the drive thru or someone is bringing them junk. Their taste buds have morphed into loving junk and they have no idea when they are actually full. They eat massive amounts of horrible food and then wash it down with soda.
Maybe it's an addiction. Maybe it's not. Its sad that is for sure. I cannot even imagine how horrible it must be to feel so terrible every day.

When marketing ends for all unhealthy foods, and they are sold in generic wrapper with skull and crossbones prominently displayed, then yea, its all the buyers fault, until then plenty fault to go around. Should consumers be more informed and smarter?? sure, but hey if you havent noticed we dont just put drug addicts in jail, but also the dealers and kingpins. Capitalism means people lie to make a profit. Whether product is legal or illegal. More doctors recommend a certain brand of cigarettes. I remember those ads. Its no different pushing the sugar.

I cant believe how many people dont believe marketing works. Ever see labels of "heart healthy" on highly processed high carb foods cause they are low fat. Misinformation galore. Go eat some more "heart healthy" sugar cookies and soda pop as part of a healthy varied diet... to reach your bliss point.... and buy more product... LOL

Old 02-05-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
When marketing ends for all unhealthy foods, and they are sold in generic wrapper with skull and crossbones prominently displayed, then yea, its all the buyers fault, until then plenty fault to go around. Should consumers be more informed and smarter?? sure, but hey if you havent noticed we dont just put drug addicts in jail, but also the dealers and kingpins. Capitalism means people lie to make a profit. Whether product is legal or illegal. More doctors recommend a certain brand of cigarettes. I remember those ads. Its no different pushing the sugar.

I cant believe how many people dont believe marketing works. Ever see labels of "heart healthy" on highly processed high carb foods cause they are low fat. Misinformation galore. Go eat some more "heart healthy" sugar cookies and soda pop as part of a healthy varied diet... to reach your bliss point.... and buy more product... LOL
So that is - we have no control over what we eat.

Are we so weak as a nation that we have to succumb to food we know is unhealthy and calorie laden?
When does personal responsibility come in?

Old 02-06-2022, 10:16 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
So that is - we have no control over what we eat.

Are we so weak as a nation that we have to succumb to food we know is unhealthy and calorie laden?
When does personal responsibility come in?
Pretty much never. It's 'Murica. Nobody forced you to know eating McDonald's everyday was a bad idea so it's totally McDonald's fault.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Pretty much never. It's 'Murica. Nobody forced you to know eating McDonald's everyday was a bad idea so it's totally McDonald's fault.

It tastes good and advertising tells you its part of a well balanced diet, how are you supposed to know? Have your own research lab and massive double blind tests?

So how about all food being sold in generic label wrappers so everybody can make IMPARTIAL decisions? Thats not greatest method cause most people have no clue even if not having it pushed down their throats by capitalists, it tastes good or at least doesnt make you gag/vomit, then its food. Thats why people are so addicted to sweets. Sweet tasting things in nature tend to be good or at least safe. Bitter things not necessarily safe. But nature isnt trying to make you reach your bliss point so you buy more product and make nature wealthy.

How does that old maxim go, anything that doesnt kill me makes me stronger.....LOL

Old 02-07-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
It tastes good and advertising tells you its part of a well balanced diet, how are you supposed to know? Have your own research lab and massive double blind tests?

So how about all food being sold in generic label wrappers so everybody can make IMPARTIAL decisions? Thats not greatest method cause most people have no clue even if not having it pushed down their throats by capitalists, it tastes good or at least doesnt make you gag/vomit, then its food. Thats why people are so addicted to sweets. Sweet tasting things in nature tend to be good or at least safe. Bitter things not necessarily safe. But nature isnt trying to make you reach your bliss point so you buy more product and make nature wealthy.

How does that old maxim go, anything that doesnt kill me makes me stronger.....LOL
So you say the average person does not know the difference between junk food and nutritious food and because of advertising they are helpless and choose the junk food?
Still not buying it.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:13 AM

Quote:
So you say the average person does not know the difference between junk food and nutritious food and because of advertising they are helpless and choose the junk food?
Still not buying it.

So where are you taught some particular food is a con job and just 'junk'. Did you pop out of your mother knowing this? How do YOU know a Hershey bar isnt a nutrition powerhouse? Did somebody "tell" you? Your instincts are only that its sweet, therefore safe, and must be food. Innately you have no notion anything is more nutritious than anything else. Only that its food (didnt make Ogg in cave next door sick when he ate it) and since its sweet, its probably safe. Its not like the old Popeye cartoons where you eat your spinach and suddenly you can toss that muscleman Bluto halfway down the block.

Nutrition is only from this thing called science which has been politicized and twisted to mean whatever is in best interests of somebody with a particular political point of view, and apparently no longer actually taught in school or at least the children of those of certain political persuasions can opt out being exposed to it in concern it might cause the child to have a different point of view from the parent. So you rely on advertising telling you its heart healthy and part of a well balanced diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss