Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2022, 09:38 AM

761 posts, read 446,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes. But the inability to follow instructions is not a matter of native intelligence. Lots of extremely intelligent people are unable to follow instructions. Lots of people with lower intelligence are able to follow instructions diligently.

Lots of doctors, for instance, are obese smokers. Yet, they've very intelligent people.

I don't disagree with that; there are a few obese doctors in my community. And that's not new to me as I've noticed that all my life - highly intelligent people can become obese.

But I hesitate to stereotype all overweight or obese people as being unable to follow instructions.

Stereotype (definition): A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person...

I believe it's way oversimplified to say that they all lack the ability to follow instructions. Many people do lack that ability but then it's not the only reason. There may be many other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 10:42 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
This is like criticizing vegan diet. It all depends on the diet. Vegan can mean crappo SAD diet only minus the meat, heavy on the carbs and highly processed fake meat, or it can be lot fresh produce.

Well the low carb diets can be anything from all meat all the time and lot gimmick "keto processed foods" imitating the high carb foods, or it could be lot fresh veggies, the less starchy ones and small amounts animal product.

So pretending all vegans eat same or all low carb people eat the same is a BIG fallacy in your argument.

Also if you notice most people that go on a diet, dont make actual long term lifestyle change, they go on a diet to for couple weeks to try and fit in that new summer swim suit or other such nonsense. If you dont seriously change lifestyle eating habits long term, its meaniningless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Are you saying none of those books got it right?

Or are you saying none of the readers knew how to follow the instructions.

All the readers were only interested in short term weight loss? You believe that's the only thing they were interested in? Talk about pretending!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I don't disagree with that; there are a few obese doctors in my community. And that's not new to me as I've noticed that all my life - highly intelligent people can become obese.

But I hesitate to stereotype all overweight or obese people as being unable to follow instructions.

Stereotype (definition): A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person...

I believe it's way oversimplified to say that they all lack the ability to follow instructions. Many people do lack that ability but then it's not the only reason. There may be many other reasons.
HJ99 pointed out that the primary reasons people fail at those diets is because, for whatever reason, they don't do them properly.

And I agree with HJ99. Even a lot of groups that do studies on those various diets don't do them right in the studies.

It was your conjecture that "...none of the readers knew how to follow the instructions."

I merely pointed out that failing to follow instructions is not necessarily a matter of intelligence. Lots of intelligent people fail to follow instructions for various personal reasons. Sometimes it's because they feel they're too smart to follow someone else's instructions.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:48 AM

310 posts, read 323,287 times
Quote:
HJ99 pointed out that the primary reasons people fail at those diets is because, for whatever reason, they don't do them properly.

And I agree with HJ99. Even a lot of groups that do studies on those various diets don't do them right in the studies.

It was your conjecture that "...none of the readers knew how to follow the instructions."

I merely pointed out that failing to follow instructions is not necessarily a matter of intelligence. Lots of intelligent people fail to follow instructions for various personal reasons. Sometimes it's because they feel they're too smart to follow someone else's instructions.
Losing weight is easy on paper, but very hard to do. Its not about being able to follow instructions. Its not like building an Ikea table, or setting up a TV. Losing weight is a 100% mental game. They myriad of reasons as to why people cannot lose weight simply cannot be boiled down to not following instructions.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
Losing weight is easy on paper, but very hard to do. Its not about being able to follow instructions. Its not like building an Ikea table, or setting up a TV. Losing weight is a 100% mental game. They myriad of reasons as to why people cannot lose weight simply cannot be boiled down to not following instructions.
It's certainly not "...a 100% mental game."

But I had agreed in great detail 'way up in the early pages of this thread that "Being FAT is not 100% your fault."

That means that it's not only a matter of failing to follow instructions, either, because that would make it 100% your fault.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:

But I had agreed in great detail 'way up in the early pages of this thread that "Being FAT is not 100% your fault."

That means that it's not only a matter of failing to follow instructions, either, because that would make it 100% your fault.
It certainly IS a mental game. One needs to have the mind set that are willing to sacrifices in order to be successful. ALL diets and ways of eating fail if one does not want to make the sacrifices to follow it, and that means mental fortitude. There is NOTHING easy about losing weight and without a mind in the game there is no way to succeed.
I am fit and I eat healthy and I exercise, but I do gain weight at times - quarantine 15 is a real thing, and when I need to lose it I have to make sure my mind is in the game or else I will fail.

People who are obese and live off of crappy food are not going to all of a sudden just follow instructions and lose the weight. If it were that easy there would be no fat people.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
It certainly IS a mental game. One needs to have the mind set that are willing to sacrifices in order to be successful. ALL diets and ways of eating fail if one does not want to make the sacrifices to follow it, and that means mental fortitude. There is NOTHING easy about losing weight and without a mind in the game there is no way to succeed.
I am fit and I eat healthy and I exercise, but I do gain weight at times - quarantine 15 is a real thing, and when I need to lose it I have to make sure my mind is in the game or else I will fail.

People who are obese and live off of crappy food are not going to all of a sudden just follow instructions and lose the weight. If it were that easy there would be no fat people.

At some point, a person has to stop thinking and actually exert some physical effort.

It's not "100%" any of those components. It's not 100% diet, it's not 100% exercise, it's not 100% mental, it's not 100% "your fault."

Old 01-12-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:

At some point, a person has to stop thinking and actually exert some physical effort.

It's not "100%" any of those components. It's not 100% diet, it's not 100% exercise, it's not 100% mental, it's not 100% "your fault."
And if they don't want to then they wont. And its not about thinking it is about doing. That is the mental game. Diet and exercise work, but if you don't want to follow the diet or do the exercise then nothing is accomplished.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:20 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
All you have to do is look in the grocery carts of fat people to realize it IS their fault 97% of the time. I drove by Popeye's Chicken the other day and there were literally two dozen cars in the drive through lined all the way out to the street. Yes my fat friends, it is your fault the vast majority of the time.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:59 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
All you have to do is look in the grocery carts of fat people to realize it IS their fault 97% of the time. I drove by Popeye's Chicken the other day and there were literally two dozen cars in the drive through lined all the way out to the street. Yes my fat friends, it is your fault the vast majority of the time.
What about the thin people with junk in their carts or who are sitting in line in the fast food drive through? Is anything their fault, or do they get a pass?

Old 01-14-2022, 12:24 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What about the thin people with junk in their carts or who are sitting in line in the fast food drive through? Is anything their fault, or do they get a pass?
Their fast food/junk consumption is clearly a lot more moderate than you think. They are also a lot more consistent in their food consumption.
I have overweight people in my close family, and if only they would match my eating habits, they would definitely lose weight. Instead this person goes to parties/family gatherings/other social settings and intentionally gets very little food and then casually drops the line of "look how little food I eat, but I am still fat, it is clearly genetics!". Except that for me that food would be enough for the whole day, while they will eat 2 more meals afterwards throughout the day.

I will also tell you a little secret - the skinny people who don't really exercise and eat normal size portions also do not eat 3 full meals a day. Calories in/out work both ways. They can also "cheat" a lot, meaning they can sometimes overeat or eat clearly unhealthy sizes of cake/sweets. Because their normal consistent day-to-day food consumption is running at a caloric deficit, so they will maintain their low weight just as fat people who go on these sporadic diets also gain back the weight once they go back to their old eating habits.

Last edited by Gantz; 01-14-2022 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss