Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 06:08 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,047,879 times

Advertisements

One thing that helps me is that I am not an emotional eater who turns to food for comfort. When I'm upset the last thing I want to do is eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 07:27 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I just lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks!

In hospital, with a tube in my nose. They started IV nutrition ("PatientChow") after a few days, and I've been eating real food for a week, or I'd weigh even less. I look like hell, don't recommend.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:09 PM

78 posts, read 77,824 times
I went off the wagon and stopped counting calories for over a year and a half and gained 30 pounds. I wasn't doing anything like eating tubs of ice cream or dozens of doughnuts, I just got sick of always having to count and measure everything and not being able to order what I wanted from a restaurant menu or have an occasional drink and so I stopped and I just ate like a normal person. I still exercised 40-60 minutes a day. But because I wasn't micromanaging my calories, I gained weight. At least I didn't gain any clothes sizes, I am densely built, although clothes are definitely more snug and a few things don't fit.

For some reason, the only way I can stay a healthy weight it to always measure things, count calories, exercise and work at it non-stop. I have to eat under 1400 calories a day to stay the same weight. There is nothing medically wrong with me, it's just the way I am. Everything about me is "low and slow." The negative side is I seem to have a very slow metabolism and gain weight easily. The plus side is I also have low blood pressure, low blood sugar, a slow resting heart rate, and even low body temperature.

Now I am faced with losing weight again which means 1000-1200 calories a day which is so difficult to do. I will be hungry and feel weak a lot. I've been counting again for the past month and most days I end up with closer to 1300 calories so the scale doesn't move. But at least I am not gaining anymore. So there is that.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:06 AM

56 posts, read 23,148 times
It comes down to daily calories burned.The average women burns 1600 to 2400 a day and a average man burns 2000 to 3000 calories a day. If your intake is more than you burn it goes on as fat.If you exercise regularly you can eat more if you don't you watch your calorie intake.If you go to any weight lose doctor the first thing said will be to limit your calorie intake and exercise and you will loose a lot of weight.
The best diet is a whole food diet if its been processed or has sugar added you don't eat it if its in its natural form such as a chicken breast a orange or a potato you eat it.You eat food the way it was meant to be eaten not enhanced with chemicals and added sugar.
Absolutely no fast foods or pop.

Old 06-24-2023, 01:48 PM

78 posts, read 77,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
It comes down to daily calories burned.The average women burns 1600 to 2400 a day and a average man burns 2000 to 3000 calories a day. If your intake is more than you burn it goes on as fat.If you exercise regularly you can eat more if you don't you watch your calorie intake.If you go to any weight lose doctor the first thing said will be to limit your calorie intake and exercise and you will loose a lot of weight.
The best diet is a whole food diet if its been processed or has sugar added you don't eat it if its in its natural form such as a chicken breast a orange or a potato you eat it.You eat food the way it was meant to be eaten not enhanced with chemicals and added sugar.
Absolutely no fast foods or pop.

I must burn near the low end for sure even with exercise. And, while I count calories, I know it's not an exact science. Processed foods can be off 20% either way on their labels and unprocessed foods like the chicken you mentioned or the orange, etc are always just guesses because a particular orange may or may not be a few more grams than the one used as a measure or the one used to measure calories may or may not have had more natural sugars.

I will lose the weight again and I do exactly what you mention with whole, natural foods and I only drink water, tea, or coffee with nothing in it. But it is a drag rationing out everything all the time. It stinks knowing that I can't have a beer with my friends because that's about 10%-15% of the daily ration of calories. Or knowing that a single dinner at a steak house is more calories than I can eat in an whole day, so that's off limits. And I don't mean off limits or rationing while losing weight, it's to maintain too. But, it's unfortunately what I always need to do to keep a healthy weight. I can't change my biology.

Last edited by AccidentalVulcan; 06-24-2023 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-24-2023, 02:23 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
My doc says I'm too short for my weight. She said something about 8 feet 11"!

Old 06-30-2023, 11:06 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
My doc says I'm too short for my weight. She said something about 8 feet 11"!
Hahaha, made me laugh.

Yes, getting discouraged when the scale doesn't budge, but I will keep going. It's coming off, but not fast enough to suit me. Eight pounds over two months. I can't eat much less or I am hungry all the time and feel angry. I did this once before, though, and it worked so I know just to keep at it. Sort of following Mediterranean, lots of fish, limited bread and dairy, lots of vegetables. Not having wine every day. I like eating this way, so it's not too hard to do, but it's just so damn slow and probably because I'm old.

It seems as if the scale will stay at its number for two or three weeks, then all of a sudden it goes down two pounds without rhyme or reason. I'm to that point, I think, where it SHOULD be showing a change. Any day now, any day.

My goal was five pounds a month, but I guess I will have to lower that expectation.

Old 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM

Our brains plan weight loss, our bodies laugh.

Old 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Our brains plan weight loss, our bodies laugh.
HAHAHA. Mine jiggles with laughter!

Old 07-01-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
HAHAHA. Mine jiggles with laughter!
Like a bowl full of jelly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss