Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 08:06 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I do think there are factors that affect people and weight. My sister and I were raised the same, and I tend towards skinny and she tends towards overweight. We have different dads. I have been on meds that made me gain weight, and absolutely nothing would lower it, once I stopped the weight came off with no effort.

I don't think it is anyone's business to assign blame or judgement. I know a lot of these people get upset at things like Dove's campaign to accept yourself at any weight and feel beautiful, like it is some affront to their eyes.
I have five siblings; the three middle kids are slender; the eldest and two youngest are plump. That was clear from very young ages.

We have the same parents, ate the same food, lived in the same house, heard the same food related messages. We rarely ate out, and fast food was nearly unheard of.

Of course our genetics are not identical, so something in there made the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 08:52 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Yes, genetics play a big part in the "predisposition" to obesity. But genetics doesn't make you obese. It just means you're at a higher risk of getting that way, and have to be more careful than someone whose genetics don't predispose them to it.

Just like - genetics plays a part in increased risk of alcoholism. But a person has a choice to have that alcohol or not, if they know they're predisposed to it by virtue of their genetics. They can't become alcoholics if they don't drink alcohol. And a person predisposed to obesity can't become obese, if they don't overeat and/or eat irresponsibly.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:39 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
It is amazing the way people just don't listen. What does... "I have tried it all" mean to you? It means I have left no stone unturned. NONE. I won't explain it to you because you aren't going to listen but I am DONE.

How can anyone seriously believe in this day and age that people don't know what steps to take and haven't done it a zillion times?
You're right, at this point it might be more unhealthy (at least mentally) to keep fighting where your body wants to be and feeling unhappy about it every day. If you keep eating healthy food and moving your body in a way you enjoy, that's the base line, anyway.

Old 04-29-2023, 11:03 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I have five siblings; the three middle kids are slender; the eldest and two youngest are plump. That was clear from very young ages.

We have the same parents, ate the same food, lived in the same house, heard the same food related messages. We rarely ate out, and fast food was nearly unheard of.

Of course our genetics are not identical, so something in there made the difference.
Plump from a very young age? That's surprising. Approximately the same activity level for all of you? Metabolic rate must be quite different for some reason. If one parent tended to be heavier, perhaps they inherited more of his/her genetics.

My two siblings weren't overweight when young but they are now. I attribute this to their lack of physical activity. I'm active and quite thin.

Old 04-29-2023, 11:15 AM

1,400 posts, read 764,844 times
I hate it when people are called "fat". Fat is a thing, not a person

Old 05-03-2023, 05:33 AM

5 posts, read 2,890 times
It can be difficult to untangle our complex relationship with food. Un-learning to eat because of emotions, boredom, habit isn't exactly super easy, but it can be done. Building a more satisfied body image is key to becoming more aware of what we do, and why.

I help people learn how the 10 critical dimensions of weight and weight loss affect them and help them build skills and knowledge to be more able and effective in managing what they eat. It is, in my professional opinion, the only way to lose weight and keep it off.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:08 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
I hate it when people are called "fat". Fat is a thing, not a person
Do you hate when people call tall people tall? Do you hate when people call tattooed people tattooed? Do you hate when people call well-dressed people well-dressed? Do you have when people call young people children?

Fat is both a noun and an adjective. Fat is a substance, and it is a word used to describe someone or something's body shape.

A person can HAVE fat - but not BE fat. And a person can LOOK fat, but not BE fat. A person can be fat, and not look fat.

Fat can very easily describe someone's appearance. If the police wants you to describe the person who robbed your house...and the person was fat - you'd tell them "he was fat." They don't want you to wax poetic. They want a physical description. If he's fat, call him fat. It's not a judgment, it's an observation.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:59 AM

585 posts, read 319,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think the point that poster is trying to make is that in the end, it doesn’t actually matter if a person is actually healthy. A BMI of 29 alone isn’t indicative of anything in terms of health. If a person has high BP, high cholesterol, becomes short of breath when exercising or can’t walk a block without wheezing, that says something. A person who has a BMI of 29 who has normal labs, weight distributed in areas other than the midsection, and is otherwise very active is probably not going to have any issues at all. Once you reach a certain age, having a little extra weight on you is actually protective- i.e. it is better to have a BMI of 28 at age 70 than a BMI of 20.

FWIW, my dad was skinny throughout most of his life and not at all healthy. You would not have any idea about that just by looking at him but he liked to go to McDonald’s daily for breakfast and hit up Popeye’s a few times a week for lunch.
Bmi 29 is pretty high and likely the person has not normal labs. If somehow they do, that person is pretty rare.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:03 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghobi View Post
Bmi 29 is pretty high and likely the person has not normal labs. If somehow they do, that person is pretty rare.
I don't think it would be that rare - my BMI is 30.7, and after my last medical that included blood tests, the doctor said that I should keep doing what I'm doing, because all the markers indicate a low risk of developing heart disease, diabetes etc.

It is said often enough, but it's worth repeating - lots of muscle and moderate/low amounts of body fat make the BMI irrelevant for such people.

Crazy part was that the insurance company the medical was required for, were only interested in BMI, not a letter from the doctor.

Old 05-06-2023, 03:16 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Avoid the appetite stimulating properties of wheat entirely, you will be far less hungry all the time, your total number of calories consumed will decrease, and you will have no issues with increased weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss