Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2021, 08:19 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The term Mediterranean Diet is a misnomer because it implies that all people have the same diet. It actually refers to the pattern of eating that is common in the traditional diets around the Med. While the foods vary by region, the pattern of traditional eating is the same---about 75% plant-based.
There is a lot more to their "pattern of eating" than the macronutrient proportions. Even with the same macronutrient proportions, Americans eating as Americans eat would still result in an obese population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 02:03 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is a lot more to their "pattern of eating" than the macronutrient proportions. Even with the same macronutrient proportions, Americans eating as Americans eat would still result in an obese population.
The majority of Americans eat the Western Diet which is also a pattern of eating. The Western Diet is generally defined as a too high intake of red meat and products, refined grains, fried foods, processed foods, pre-packaged foods, over-refined sugars, high fat dairy products, other highly refined and saturated fats, high sugar foods and drinks,--------- and a too low intake of vegetables, fruits, nuts and fish.

More than 70 years of research and studies have proven that the traditional Med pattern is vastly superior to the Western pattern, and years of research and studies proving that the Western pattern is harmful.

No one has said that the Med pattern is the only way, but Americans (particularly those of European descent) might do well to eat more like the traditional Med pattern than the Western pattern. The Western pattern is nutrient deficient and high calorie. The Med pattern is nutrient rich and low calorie. It's not as convenient as the Western and that is where it loses many people. It requires planning and food preparation. Individuals choose how they prioritize their time and other resources.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The majority of Americans eat the Western Diet which is also a pattern of eating. The Western Diet is generally defined as a too high intake of red meat and products, refined grains, fried foods, processed foods, pre-packaged foods, over-refined sugars, high fat dairy products, other highly refined and saturated fats, high sugar foods and drinks,--------- and a too low intake of vegetables, fruits, nuts and fish.

More than 70 years of research and studies have proven that the traditional Med pattern is vastly superior to the Western pattern, and years of research and studies proving that the Western pattern is harmful.

No one has said that the Med pattern is the only way, but Americans (particularly those of European descent) might do well to eat more like the traditional Med pattern than the Western pattern. The Western pattern is nutrient deficient and high calorie. The Med pattern is nutrient rich and low calorie. It's not as convenient as the Western and that is where it loses many people. It requires planning and food preparation. Individuals choose how they prioritize their time and other resources.
There is a lot more to their "pattern of eating" than the macronutrient proportions.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
There is a lot more to their "pattern of eating" than the macronutrient proportions.
It would help if you would define what you mean by "a lot more" to it.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
It would help if you would define what you mean by "a lot more" to it.
For instance:

When during our day that we eat.
How frequently during the day that we eat.
Our emotional state while eating.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
For instance:

When during our day that we eat.
How frequently during the day that we eat.
Our emotional state while eating.
I don't get your point. What is "it" and how do you think those factors affect "it"?

Old 11-10-2021, 07:59 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:

Yes, they certainly do. "Families" aren't what they used to be...it's much less common for there to be someone at home who's been raised to believe she is the cook for the family and that's one of her major responsibilities. BTW, I don't agree someone should automatically get saddled with that - I'm saying that in many families everyone's either working or has school activities, etc. and right, food is not a priority. And if it is, it is more than likely a woman making that happen. It's a lot easier if there's someone (not "you") who is doing the shopping and preparing of most of the meals FOR you.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:41 AM

805 posts, read 524,357 times
Years of parenting has opened my eyes to the eating habits of other families, and I can say without a doubt that some of the problem is learned behavior. There are advantaged households, with time and resources to buy healthy food, that regularly drink soda with meals, eschew fresh veggies, and subsist on high fat/salt/sugar packaged food. I don’t believe that was as common in the 70s and 80s.

Portion sizes are another thing that has undeniably changed. Look at the history of the calorie content of a McDonald’s meal over the decades. Supersize, indeed. One fast food meal can now have enough calories for a full day (and far exceed the recommended sodium).

Quote:
The government has been suggesting this daily diet since the late 70s:

2-3 servings of dairy
3-5 servings of vegetables
2-4 servings of fruit
6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice, or pasta
2-3 servings of meat, poultry, fish, beans, or eggs

Per day!
This is true, but those “servings” are surprisingly moderate.

You may be surprised to learn these are serving sizes:
1 slice of bread
½ cup rice or pasta (cooked)
1 small piece of fruit (super-large apples are 2+ servings)
1 wedge of melon
¾ cup fruit juice
=1 cup milk or yogurt
2 oz. cheese (about the size of a domino)
2-3 oz. meat, poultry or fish (this is about the size of a deck of cards)

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-liv...s-serving-size

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do agree that properly prepared veggies are wonderful. However I usually do not encounter such in restaurants. What I usually encounter are dumb salads—bowls of packaged greens topped with a protein and dressed with some sort of sweet dressing. You mention requesting specially prepared veggies, and this is exactly what I was referencing in my post. I have trouble ordering straight off most menus. I have to make requests, and believe me, I usually do.

I sometimes am delighted by an offering of fresh veggies, and DH surprised me with lunch at an upscale place on my birthday. My lunch included fresh spinach, I believe. It was lovely. But mostly, I am faced with choosing one menu item out of everything else and specifying certain things. And this is my point. It takes constant mental energy and vigilance to eat healthy in this country.

I do resent being told that eating out is a “choice.” Why should I be forced to always eat at home?
Yes! As a person who cooks almost daily, I have a difficult time finding restaurant food that doesn’t make me feel crappy (literally and figuratively). Finding mom and pop places serving international fare helps. American style restaurants are not my friend.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes, they certainly do. "Families" aren't what they used to be...it's much less common for there to be someone at home who's been raised to believe she is the cook for the family and that's one of her major responsibilities. BTW, I don't agree someone should automatically get saddled with that - I'm saying that in many families everyone's either working or has school activities, etc. and right, food is not a priority. And if it is, it is more than likely a woman making that happen. It's a lot easier if there's someone (not "you") who is doing the shopping and preparing of most of the meals FOR you.
Society moved on some time ago. When one partner was at home, they had the luxury of spending hours cooking---because they could and partially because it was necessary for many of the dishes they ate. Their meals weren't necessarily healthy.

Nutritional science is much more advanced today and culinary has evolved. Healthy, nutritious meals can be made quickly. We also have gadgets and cookers that were not available back then to streamline the process, but many healthy meals can be made in as little as 30 minutes without any of those things. Some even less than that. Planning meals and acquiring the ingredients in advance make it easy. It's just not as convenient as a drive-thru.

My wife and I worked full time and shared cooking when our kids were growing up in the 90s. We taught them to cook so they could take care of themselves as adults. School and extracurricular activities made life more hectic than it already was, but that is what parents sign up for when they decide to have children. It's not an excuse to shirk the responsibility of providing healthy meals to our kids.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Years of parenting has opened my eyes to the eating habits of other families, and I can say without a doubt that some of the problem is learned behavior. There are advantaged households, with time and resources to buy healthy food, that regularly drink soda with meals, eschew fresh veggies, and subsist on high fat/salt/sugar packaged food. I don’t believe that was as common in the 70s and 80s.

Portion sizes are another thing that has undeniably changed. Look at the history of the calorie content of a McDonald’s meal over the decades. Supersize, indeed. One fast food meal can now have enough calories for a full day (and far exceed the recommended sodium).

This is true, but those “servings” are surprisingly moderate.

You may be surprised to learn these are serving sizes:
1 slice of bread
½ cup rice or pasta (cooked)
1 small piece of fruit (super-large apples are 2+ servings)
1 wedge of melon
¾ cup fruit juice
=1 cup milk or yogurt
2 oz. cheese (about the size of a domino)
2-3 oz. meat, poultry or fish (this is about the size of a deck of cards)

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-liv...s-serving-size

Yes! As a person who cooks almost daily, I have a difficult time finding restaurant food that doesn’t make me feel crappy (literally and figuratively). Finding mom and pop places serving international fare helps. American style restaurants are not my friend.
I think it makes most people feel that way if they are honest, especially if they eat that way daily or often. However if they've always eaten that way, maybe they just don't realize how much better they could be. The idea of preparing their own meals is probably daunting when they have no energy or stamina from eating crappy, energy-draining and nutrient-poor foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss