Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2021, 06:33 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We had supermarkets in the 1950s. My folks drive to one weekly. We really did not have a “corner grocery store” where we lived, except for a small supermarket which I walked to from time to time. We did have access to fresh, in season produce if my parents wished to drive farther. When I was quite young, we did live quite near a “Food Center” grocery store, but I cannot remember any family member walking to it. Hanging clothes on a clothesline is not going to burn that many calories.

The major change, IMO, is the easy availability of cheap, junk food.

Most of us don’t burn that many calories walking around anyway.
Agree that it's the cheap, unhealthy junk food of today.

But there was more exercise in people's daily lives whether it was walking to the grocery store, to the drug store, even to the ice cream store. I do think that carrying a basket of wet clothes from the house to the clothesline and hanging them up to dry would burn quite a few more calories than bending over and stuffing them into the dryer.

But whatever it is with the fast foods--additives of all kinds, fake ingredients, sugar, fat--that's the big problem as well as the fact that people eat so much of it. They don't just eat a small hamburger like people used to. Advertising has convinced people that they need double or triple burgers with layers of fattening things like cheese and bacon. Have that with fries. Don't forget the giant coke to go with it.

Even places like England where people were of normal weight when I started going there are now having trouble with too many people being overweight. Not as bad as it is here, but the only time I saw fat people in England last time was people coming out of a MacDonald's. Their MacDonald's are a little bit healthier than ours because a lot of the fake ingredients are banned so it's not quite as bad. Their fries contain potato, fat, and salt--THREE ingredients. Ours contain around 14 ingredients. Portions are largers here too.

In the UK ingredients for the famous McDonald’s fries are simple: potatoes, oil, and salt. In the US the ingredients list is quite long and includes several different types of oil as well as preservatives to keep the fries looking a more intense shade of yellow. As for the Big Mac the special sauce ingredients have more types of sugar and sweeteners than in the UK, which explains how the two sandwiches would have different caloric values.

https://12tomatoes.com/differences-m...s-england-usa/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 06:38 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
We had supermarkets in the 1950s. My folks drive to one weekly. We really did not have a “corner grocery store” where we lived, except for a small supermarket which I walked to from time to time. We did have access to fresh, in season produce if my parents wished to drive farther. When I was quite young, we did live quite near a “Food Center” grocery store, but I cannot remember any family member walking to it. Hanging clothes on a clothesline is not going to burn that many calories.

The major change, IMO, is the easy availability of cheap, junk food.

Most of us don’t burn that many calories walking around anyway.
Yes. Ten thousand steps is fewer calories burned than gained in a single Krispy Kreme. You can't walk your way out of a poor diet.

Old 11-08-2021, 06:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Has anyone noticed how many people in the medical field are significantly overweight? Nurses, PAs, phlebotomists - it seems like they would be more careful with their weight knowing the effects obesity can have on one's health.
I have noticed this. It is an interesting phenomenon. Anyone have some insight?

Old 11-08-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Has anyone noticed how many people in the medical field are significantly overweight? Nurses, PAs, phlebotomists - it seems like they would be more careful with their weight knowing the effects obesity can have on one's health.
Their training doesn't include that much nutrition. They aren't trained to see food as medicine, and unless they're athletes themselves or their practice is specifically for atheletes, they don't keep up with the latest nutritional studies.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:52 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think 80% of grocery store stuff is bad for you including things that are labeled healthy. So it is a choice how people gotten fat but it does require some prerequisite knowledge that majority of people lack.

So the food industry does bear some responsibility because they are limiting choice. Everywhere you go unless you researched into nutrition you probably not able to read the ingredients list and the source where the food originates that can lead to long term health issues.
More excuses. People have free will in what they buy in the grocery store, there are whole entire sections with fresh fruits and vegetables and healthy meats and fish yet these same people that complain about lack of choice are the same ones that browse and buy all their groceries from the frozen food section. People just decide to choose convenience over the hassle of cooking their own food. Why do you think these meal prep companies are making millions of dollars? There is demand for convenience. Hardly anyone these days have the want or time to prepare their own meals.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:55 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,312 times
Quote:
I have noticed this. It is an interesting phenomenon. Anyone have some insight?
I think part of the problem is they work long crazy hours and only have the time to eat highly processed foods on the go. My neighbor has been a highly regarded pediatric doctor who has over the years now ballooned up to over 250lbs. He's never had anyone else in his entire family ever be obese.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
I think part of the problem is they work long crazy hours and only have the time to eat highly processed foods on the go. My neighbor has been a highly regarded pediatric doctor who has over the years now ballooned up to over 250lbs. He's never had anyone else in his entire family ever be obese.
I've said that two or three times in this thread.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:56 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Why most doctors can't help themselves or you with nutrition...

As of 2017, "only about one-fifth of American medical schools require students to take a nutrition course. "...less than 20 percent of medical schools have a single required course in nutrition."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...ion-education/

In the few schools that required it, the course has been less than 1% of lecture time.

In the last couple of years, a few schools have added a culinary medicine course, but it's still far from being enough.

MDs who know about nutrition have had to self-educate. Few are motivated to do so even if they can find the time.

"Just 14% of doctors feel qualified to offer nutrition advice."

"People believe that nutrition is easy, when in reality, nutrition is most of medicine---and then a lot more."

https://thecounter.org/medical-schoo...nal-education/

For now, you are better off self-educating and experimenting than asking most doctors for nutrition advice.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Why most doctors can't help themselves or you with nutrition...

As of 2017, "only about one-fifth of American medical schools require students to take a nutrition course. "...less than 20 percent of medical schools have a single required course in nutrition."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...ion-education/

In the few schools that required it, the course has been less than 1% of lecture time.

In the last couple of years, a few schools have added a culinary medicine course, but it's still far from being enough.

MDs who know about nutrition have had to self-educate. Few are motivated to do so even if they can find the time.

"Just 14% of doctors feel qualified to offer nutrition advice."

"People believe that nutrition is easy, when in reality, nutrition is most of medicine---and then a lot more."

https://thecounter.org/medical-schoo...nal-education/

For now, you are better off self-educating than asking most doctors for nutrition advice.
I was lucky to find a doctor who is also an avid amateur athlete (MMA), so he does a lot of reading about nutrition on his own.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:37 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I was lucky to find a doctor who is also an avid amateur athlete (MMA), so he does a lot of reading about nutrition on his own.
I studied it and experimented (still do) because no one has as much interest in my personal health as I do.

It takes an average of 17 years for research findings to make their way into routine clinical practice. This gap needs to be narrowed on nutrition...it's not like we're talking about a new drug. I'm not interested in waiting around that long.

Eventually we need get to the point where we have personalized diets based on our individual genetics. Generalized diets don't and can't work for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss