Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times

Advertisements

Of course, it has to come from within, however, a little help here. My husband is in great shape, exercises, eat all the right foods and he struggles to stay that way. When he was in high school, he went to Weight Watchers, lost 75 pounds and also grew 6 inches or so. He's tall (6'2") but still, like I said, struggles.

I am the problem. I have to lose that 25 pounds. According to Weight Watchers, I'm right where I should be but for me, no way.

This is what would get me motivated: go for a bike ride (together), walk, hiking (if you're in that kind of area), getting out and DOING something. Do it so it doesn't seem you're all over him about this. Do yard work together, swim, something. Take up golf if he does. And watch the portion sizes - that's where my downfall is. I am determined to be at my goal weight by August 15th of this year. (and then keep it there).

Our children are now 23 and 19 and have made exercising and working out an important part of everyday. They were both slightly overweight in their middle school years (just a little pudgy) and found the exercising on their own. They both go and work out everyday, each the right foods and I'm so thrilled. Obviously, they follow their dad's example. They are quick to correct me if I want an extra bite of that "bad" food. Anyway, they are both in good shape and at good weights for their height (our daughter is 5'9"; our son is 6'4").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 21,066 times
Thanks, to his credit, he is as strong as an ox and had the endurance of one too. He just doesn't make the time to exercise. He used to bike all the time (and we did together as well). But with two small kids and not a perfect community for biking, it's hard to get motivated to load up the bikes and burley to the park, therefore we got the bike trainer. We try to hike every weekend and he carries a 40 pound pack without a problem. He's just big and looking kind of fat and old. I hate to say that about him, but it's true.

He is just a big consumer. It's not one beer, it's three. Not a few crackers, it's the whole box. I don't keep much junk food if any in the house. I have mentioned weight watchers to him because my sister lost a lot of weight on that program. I think he'd rather die than go to weight watchers.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:03 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain~mama View Post
Thanks, to his credit, he is as strong as an ox and had the endurance of one too. He just doesn't make the time to exercise. He used to bike all the time (and we did together as well). But with two small kids and not a perfect community for biking, it's hard to get motivated to load up the bikes and burley to the park, therefore we got the bike trainer. We try to hike every weekend and he carries a 40 pound pack without a problem. He's just big and looking kind of fat and old. I hate to say that about him, but it's true.

He is just a big consumer. It's not one beer, it's three. Not a few crackers, it's the whole box. I don't keep much junk food if any in the house. I have mentioned weight watchers to him because my sister lost a lot of weight on that program. I think he'd rather die than go to weight watchers.
Suggest a real gym. Workout with him. Men like to play with iron- suggest play time 3-4x/week.

How is the food in the house? What are the meal plans?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:52 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,956 times
I ahve the same problem with DH, I love him and I still think he is great looking, however I have noticed him being out of breath, etc. I have said lets go for a family walk no response, asked him if he wants to help me when i work out no response, asked him if he wanted to do yoga with me response was I am so advanced at doing yoga that I can do it in my head ( made me laugh and I fell) Tried buying healthy food then he goes out and buys junk. Things that work, I put flax seed oil into his cream of wheat or oatmeal, I bought gummie vites and he actually will take those. HAve found an all natural baked chees puffs he likes. When making pasta dishes I allways add in vegies (I have evan blenned them into the sauce) I also started packing his lunches for work, hopefully this helps. Will never give him an ultimatium because I love him I just worry because I want him around for a real long time.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:09 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times
Same story here...
One thing to do is eat heathy and exercise and go on and on about how amazing you feel and how amazing the food taste.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,447 times
As a man and a husband (and a lean one at that) I've got a few suggestions:

1. Cut off the sex
2. Get in shape yourself (if you aren't already). And I mean in GREAT shape.
3. He won't want to stop eating junk food unless he can be convinced that the people who make junk food are greedy corporate *******s who most definitely put profits way, way ahead of any semblance of providing health and nutrition to the world. Most men aren't going to be reasonable about junk food and what it *really* does to you, but they sure don't like being taken for a ride by *******s (which is what the food industry does to us). Find ways to hint at this and get him to research it. Men's Health is a start. The movies Super Size Me and Fast Food Nation should help.

But most importantly, a hot wife who he can't have sex with is going to be a strong motivator to lose weight.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 AM

7 posts, read 21,066 times
funny, cut off sex. Um, ok....

For the record, I am in pretty good shape. I look good for my age, 37. I have two kids and have bounced back better than I expected, I am a size 6-8. Ok my abs are a little squishy but I had two 9 pound babies, so I'm giving myself a break. I mostly eat good, we don't really eat junk food. I don't buy ice cream anymore because he will eat a lot of it. I don't buy cookies or stuff like that. Really I don't. I think our lifestyle has just really taken a hit since we moved last year. He used to bike to work, now he can't. We used to hike all the time, now we have more limited access. Before kids, we did a ton of stuff, and now I feel like I'm the one burning all the calories chasing them around and playing with them. He's at work all day doing a brainy job, and then comes home hungry and tired. I feel bad for him. I guess I need to be more diligent about cooking the right kinds of meals for him. For the record, he did use his bike trainer the other day. He knows he has to shed some weight. I just wish he would make more of an effort.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:59 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,604 times
As the skinnier one in the house, I love her just as she is, heavy or light. I love her for her, not how much she looks like the nightly news anchor. If she wants to lose weight i'll suport her, if she doesn't, i'll love her just as much. I happen to think she is very sexy and there's a lot more to sexy than having a perfect outward appearance. Unless it was an immediate threat to her health I would never put pressure on her to lose weight and thankfully she has never pressured me.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
As a man and a husband (and a lean one at that) I've got a few suggestions:

1. Cut off the sex
2. Get in shape yourself (if you aren't already). And I mean in GREAT shape.
3. He won't want to stop eating junk food unless he can be convinced that the people who make junk food are greedy corporate *******s who most definitely put profits way, way ahead of any semblance of providing health and nutrition to the world. Most men aren't going to be reasonable about junk food and what it *really* does to you, but they sure don't like being taken for a ride by *******s (which is what the food industry does to us). Find ways to hint at this and get him to research it. Men's Health is a start. The movies Super Size Me and Fast Food Nation should help.

But most importantly, a hot wife who he can't have sex with is going to be a strong motivator to lose weight.
I tried that one. not the no sex part but the other stuff. I use to be about 30 lbs over weight. now i'm hot! He watched those shows with me also. I also always talk about how much better I feel and the fact I can out do him when it comes to yardwork and home stuff. when we go off with the kids he cant play for more than 5 minutes or so. you would think that would be a motivator.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:59 PM

51 posts, read 224,202 times
Try a trikke (TRIKKE 3-point Carving Vehicles) it will get you in shape and loose weight while having fun. They are not cheap, but will get the job done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss