Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times

Advertisements

Tell him that you need a workout partner...someone to help you stay motivated! Otherwise, you will have to get a "personal trainer." That might work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:31 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
my Cardiologist had a GREAT way of convincing me

She said:
"There are three options:
1. Quite smoking
2. Loose Weight
3. Die.....
Pick any two."

I have not smoked for 4 years and have finally begun to loose weight...30lbs in 4 months 40 lbs to go .

Old 05-30-2008, 11:40 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,949 times
Wow, so many of us out there worrying about our hubbies (or significant other.) My guy had the same problem, throwing moderation to the wind, eating 6 tacos in one sitting, 2 or 3 sandwiches at a time, a carton of oj a day...

I'm not a nag either. Wouldn't be able to stand hearing the sound of my own voice nagging, let alone expect someone else to endure it.

Just loved (sure, I was internally frustrated at times), did push the going to the dr thing occasionally (like twice a year, usually around my birthday as a gift to me finally he went, advice always sounds better coming from the dr like above poster mentioned...)

Anyway... he changed things on his own eventually, lost 30lbs.

I've always been in shape myself (well, never more than 10lbs over my healthy weight except for being happily pregnant, had to lose the 10lbs that stuck after the pregnancy), exercise, eat well. Anyway, I don't feel my exercising regularly ever motivated him to exercise. Though he's good at mumbling around 5:31am "Aren't you getting up to exercise?" before rolling back over into the comfy bed, if I'm late to get up to exercise like I usually do.

What did it was a combination of things I think. The dr talking to him got him to cut back on eating.

Then his father passed away about a year ago (in his 50s, of a heart attack). Which was a huge shock to us all, definitely changes a person. (And he wasn't even overweight, but under a lot of stress.)

So my husband finally decided to reduce the stress in his life (new job, new state), stuck to eating less, and now walks to work 3 days a week.

It also may have helped a little when a guy asked me out (he was embarrassed when I told him I was married, hadn't seen my wedding ring) and when I told my husband I could see his thinking, and I think that may have added to the motivation...

Anyway, I suggest the dr route, if you can get him to go.

And you could tell him someone just asked you out... And just keep telling him you love him, and that you want him around for a loooong time. And that his kids need him in their lives for a long time. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it works... but yeah, he has to be the one to do it.

Men are quite stubborn, aren't they?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:35 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
My hubby is the same it drives me crazy. He goes on binge diets loses a great amount of weight and gains it all back within a few weeks. He figures this way he can eat what he wants; and when he gets too heavy he does the Atkins diet.

I have tried to explain this is extremely unhealthy and asked him to stop. He is very lazy, but truly doesn't see it. He actually thinks he is active! I couldn't believe it. He literally comes home from work; lays on the couch and eats.

The Dr. has told him to lose weight. I have asked him for health reasons, the family wants him to live to a ripe old age and even for our sex life!! Doesn't do any good. He is extremely unmotivated and there is no getting through to him....

Old 05-31-2008, 11:00 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain~mama View Post
funny, cut off sex. Um, ok....

Ok my abs are a little squishy but I had two 9 pound babies, so I'm giving myself a break.
Maybe you shouldnt give yourself a break. What if your husband says something to you about your squishy flabby stomach? The thing is, you cannot make excuses about not being in good shape/healthy.

Maybe you guys should both do things together (i.e., play tennis, go bike riding, take karate, do yoga, go to the gym together, etc.). I dont think you can give him a hard time about his weight and you make excuses for your own self because its hypocritical. You BOTH should do something and do it TOGETHER.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Maybe you shouldnt give yourself a break. What if your husband says something to you about your squishy flabby stomach? The thing is, you cannot make excuses about not being in good shape/healthy.

Maybe you guys should both do things together (i.e., play tennis, go bike riding, take karate, do yoga, go to the gym together, etc.). I dont think you can give him a hard time about his weight and you make excuses for your own self because its hypocritical. You BOTH should do something and do it TOGETHER.
Sometimes women cannot get rid of the stomach; it has nothing to do with exercise and diet. My GF is the perfect example of this. She works out with a PT three times a week and runs four times a week. She eats healthy! Her stomach will not go away, the only thing that will take care of it is a nip and tuck!!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:06 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Sometimes women cannot get rid of the stomach; it has nothing to do with exercise and diet. My GF is the perfect example of this. She works out with a PT three times a week and runs four times a week. She eats healthy! Her stomach will not go away, the only thing that will take care of it is a nip and tuck!!
I don't know your girlfriend, but I do know alot of people who think they eat healthy but really eat terrible. "Diet" foods and other artificial crap like that. My wife also had two kids and is in prime shape, we don't have time to work out much since the kids are here, but eating healthy (as in organic, low processed foods, etc, NOT ahem "diet" foods) is all it really takes. The changing of America from 1 in 5 overweight to 3 of 4 overweight over the same 35 years that the food industry had massive changes for the worse is proof positive that diet has everything to do with it.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 AM

471 posts, read 1,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I second what veuvegirl said. Some women even have muscle separation occur. Until men experience giving birth themselves (and the resulting temporary or permanent changes to their bodies), this may be a topic to quietly bow out of.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
I don't know your girlfriend, but I do know alot of people who think they eat healthy but really eat terrible. "Diet" foods and other artificial crap like that. My wife also had two kids and is in prime shape, we don't have time to work out much since the kids are here, but eating healthy (as in organic, low processed foods, etc, NOT ahem "diet" foods) is all it really takes. The changing of America from 1 in 5 overweight to 3 of 4 overweight over the same 35 years that the food industry had massive changes for the worse is proof positive that diet has everything to do with it.
Definitely there are people that don't eat healthy, my GF is healthy; non of this fad crazy diets. She eats healthy as a lifestyle.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain~mama View Post
I've tried to do it say it nicely to him, but my husband needs to get on the bandwagon and lose about 50 pounds. He was never the smallest man, but he used to be so much more in shape. I bought him a bike trainer for his birthday (at his request), but he doesn't use it. He used to bike all the time, but we've had a major change of lifestyle in the past year since we had to move across country.

How, oh how, do you convince a man to lose weight? He knows he needs to, but he just pacifies me. Now I'm starting to get annoyed with him. I worry about his health. He looks about 15 years older than he is. My family has said things to me about his weight. HIS family has said things to me about his weight. Knowing that it can only come from within, how can I persuade him that it's time to get fit?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Leave him alone and love him... unless, of course, he has already been told by at least one competent doctor that he MUST lose this weight or else he is going to suffer from devastating health problems. Just because he's fat, that doesn't mean that he will necessarily be unhealthy. I'm fat and I'm perfectly healthy. I had an obese great aunt who lived to be 98 and it's not like she was wasting away during those last few years either.

If you want to be more proactive, invite him to exercise with you... and if he says no, then you do it anyway. Hopefully he will want to be with you enough to join you eventually. HOWEVER... the worst thing you can do is constantly remind him of his weight and your perception that it is a problem... unless, as I said before, it's a doctor-recognized serious present health risk. If you hound him about it and especially if you're not as loving and sexually responsive toward him now that he's fatter than he used to be, he's going to interpret that as you don't love him anymore and you don't find him desirable anymore. If you thought he had little desire to lose weight then, wait until he thinks he isn't desirable anymore. He may just turn to food, and gain even more weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss