Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 09:38 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I would fork over $13,000 a year for this, and am considering bringing it up with my doctor. It's not just a weight loss drug; it's also a longevity drug and an anti-senescence drug. Minimizing lifetime caloric intake is the number one change you can make to extend your life and maintain health in old age.
I have been trying to follow developments in senescence treatments.

My Dw and I have been happy for the past 20 years living on my pension, then last year we both began receiving Social Security also. So far we have not decided what to do with the Social Security checks. We each bought a new toy. I could see spending 60% of my annual Social Security benefit on extending life and health.

Though I do not consider myself to be 'wealthy' by any stretch. We straddle the 'federal poverty' level. After retiring we migrated to an extremely low Cost-of-Living area, and we are rather happy here.

I feel very fortunate, that I was born at the tail end of the 'Baby Boom'. A huge crowd of people are going through this again process directly in front of me. As a result, there has been a lot of research in geriatric healthcare.

It was not long ago that joint replacement meant 6 weeks in hospital and 6 months of physical therapy, today it has been reduced to an outpatient procedure.

The field of senescence is new and growing, which tells me that I will be in a good position to take advantage of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 12:15 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe it should be left to the medical professionals to discuss, decide and prescribe suitable medications - not telemarketing and other advertisers.
[/url]
And maybe consumers should educate themselves so they don't fall for every new drug.
Some people believe every ad they read; a friend recommends stuff based on facebook ads. I've been burned a couple of times, thinking she had actually used and liked the product, only found later that she was quoting an ad. I no longer listen to her suggestions. Yes, she does have good qualities, too!

Old 01-08-2023, 07:55 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I would fork over $13,000 a year for this, and am considering bringing it up with my doctor. It's not just a weight loss drug; it's also a longevity drug and an anti-senescence drug. Minimizing lifetime caloric intake is the number one change you can make to extend your life and maintain health in old age.
Yeah? Are there any studies made? This is a new drug. What do they know about the long term effect on longevity and anti-senescence??

Is not the drug, it's the weight loss. And weight loss requires lifestyle change. That could be achieved with a strong will and motivation. No need to pay $13K to achieve what could be done for free.

And even with the help of this drug, people still will need to make drastic life changes, stick to new diet plan, and increase physical activities. It's not a wonder drug.

https://www.joincalibrate.com/medica...ro-tirzepatide

It will also mean one has to take it for life:

In a study that allowed patients to stop taking Mounjaro after one year, most patients regained the weight they lost, indicating a need to take a maintenance dose. To maintain results, research is needed to determine maintenance dose vs. treatment dose.

What if your financial circumstances change? What if you develop conditions that prevent you from taking it for life?
What if known or not known - yet, side effects ruin your life?

Last edited by elnina; 01-08-2023 at 08:10 PM..

Old 01-09-2023, 10:45 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I think we do know because this very issue has been demonstrated in hundreds of posts for over a decade on this forum — Q.E.D.

Yes there are rare exceptions, but for most people sustained weight loss requires a conscious shift in lifestyle choices.
What we “knew” a decade ago is not what we know now. For goodness sakes, Biggest Loser was still seen as viable in 2012, but now we know that the method espoused in that show not only did not result in sustained weight loss, but has since resulted in people gaining weight in excess of their initial weight. Many of them have such impaired metabolisms that they have not gone back to normal.

It’s not just as simple as telling a woman with an 800 calorie BMR or a man with a 1200 calorie BMR just to eat less. Chances are that if they eat that little, they will become malnourished. Instead, we need to figure out why people have BMRs that vary so dramatically and what we can do to help people burn more calories without having to spend 2-3 hours a day exercising.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:27 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,715 times
If it's actually effective, how many months would a "fat within normal bounds" person need to go on it in a typical case?
Assuming an individual goes from a complete crap diet to an average not great/not terrible diet...

My point is, if it is actually effective and a person would need to use it for say 4 months instead of dieting for a year, one could argue that $4400 is a bargain compared to the stress the excess weight puts on the body the other 8~months (oversimplified as hell but you get the idea)

Old 01-09-2023, 05:47 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
If it's actually effective, how many months would a "fat within normal bounds" person need to go on it in a typical case?
Assuming an individual goes from a complete crap diet to an average not great/not terrible diet...

My point is, if it is actually effective and a person would need to use it for say 4 months instead of dieting for a year, one could argue that $4400 is a bargain compared to the stress the excess weight puts on the body the other 8~months (oversimplified as hell but you get the idea)
You need to keep taking it indefinitely to suppress your appetite. It doesn't burn fat or increase metabolism. It makes you feel full with less food so you don't eat as much.

The studies showed up to 22.5% of body weight could be lost. I haven't found a rate of loss number. They also showed pretty bad side effects for the first three months. So I don't think taking it for four months would accomplish much in the long term and could be quite unpleasant.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:58 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah? Are there any studies made? This is a new drug. What do they know about the long term effect on longevity and anti-senescence??

Is not the drug, it's the weight loss. And weight loss requires lifestyle change. That could be achieved with a strong will and motivation. No need to pay $13K to achieve what could be done for free.

And even with the help of this drug, people still will need to make drastic life changes, stick to new diet plan, and increase physical activities. It's not a wonder drug.

https://www.joincalibrate.com/medica...ro-tirzepatide

It will also mean one has to take it for life:

In a study that allowed patients to stop taking Mounjaro after one year, most patients regained the weight they lost, indicating a need to take a maintenance dose. To maintain results, research is needed to determine maintenance dose vs. treatment dose.

What if your financial circumstances change? What if you develop conditions that prevent you from taking it for life?
What if known or not known - yet, side effects ruin your life?
We know that reducing how much you eat, by any means, increases longevity and reduces senescence. Mounjaro isn't a longevity drug per se, but by reducing appetite it reduces how much food you eat. To enjoy the longevity effects of calorie restriction you would need to take it for a long time.

Your financial circumstances could change, or the drug's financial circumstances could change. It could get covered by insurance for weight loss purposes, insurance coverage could get better, you could get a generic after some years, maybe even a newer, different drug that is oral, cheaper, more effective, more long lasting, etc. could be released.

Growth mindset.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:28 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
I get free pharmaceuticals with my pension plan.
I wonder if they would cover it?
Even if they would I don’t see me experimenting with that to lose 20-25 lbs.
Diet pills will always be diet pills to me.

Didn’t they once say that a certain pain pill wasn’t addictive and some bla bla bla like that?

Old 01-11-2023, 08:42 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
They said that this particular drug needs to be taken forever - first at higher dose to reach the desired weight, then FOREVER to maintain that weight.
Sure, at some point in might be covered by insurance, or get cheaper, or long term side effects would pull it from the market...
Did anyone read the link where it's spelled out who CAN'T take it for weight loss. Quite a big % of population.

In short:
- Mounjaro™ has not been studied in patients with a history of pancreatitis

- Mounjaro™ is not indicated for use in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus

Contraindications:
Mounjaro™ is contraindicated in patients with:

- A personal or family history of medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC)

- A personal or family history of Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2)

- Known serious hypersensitivity to tirzepatide

Warnings & precautions.

Observed on trials:
- Pancreatitis has been reported
- May increase the risk of hypoglycemia
- Patients with renal impairment who are reporting severe adverse gastrointestinal reactions
- Mounjaro™ has not been studied in patients with non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy, proliferative diabetic retinopathy, or diabetic macular edema.
- Acute gallbladder disease has occurred in clinical trials.
- May cause fetal harm
- Risk of thyroid C-cell tumors

Last edited by elnina; 01-11-2023 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-12-2023, 08:36 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,080,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
What we “knew” a decade ago is not what we know now. For goodness sakes, Biggest Loser was still seen as viable in 2012, but now we know that the method espoused in that show not only did not result in sustained weight loss, but has since resulted in people gaining weight in excess of their initial weight. Many of them have such impaired metabolisms that they have not gone back to normal.

It’s not just as simple as telling a woman with an 800 calorie BMR or a man with a 1200 calorie BMR just to eat less. Chances are that if they eat that little, they will become malnourished. Instead, we need to figure out why people have BMRs that vary so dramatically and what we can do to help people burn more calories without having to spend 2-3 hours a day exercising.
Yes of course, from a nutritional standpoint we all “know” that eating 500 calories of green beans is exactly the same as eating 500 calories of Oreos… /s

The knowledge is out there for those willing to seek it. Lifestyle change is difficult, but many have made that dietary transition successfully, lost significant weight and kept it off without drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss