Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 03:02 PM

574 posts, read 267,114 times

Advertisements

Weight loss drugs don't work.

Snake oil that is actually harmful for you. No matter how desperate you're don't fall for their pitch that a pill can make you lose weight.

We can inject you full of certain hormones and you will lose weight, but the best thing to do is do it naturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 03:14 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
you don't need to be rich to lose weight. That makes zero sense and is just an excuse. Eating less will make you have more money.

a) how about just eating less and going for a run??
b) the money you are saving by eating less you can invest in weight loss drugs (which have been proven to not work anyway).
c) what countries are you referring to? Most countries I know have doctors who would only shake their head if they hear about your request

Old 02-16-2023, 09:56 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
Weight loss drugs don't work. ...
In the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s, Hollywood sure swore by them.

I have read many articles about the lives of child actors, and the film studios all had doctors who freely prescribed diet pills.

Even into the 1960s, as our culture was moving away from stay-at-home housewives diet pills and antidepressants became very popular for family doctors to hand out to housewives.

Old 02-16-2023, 10:12 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
You need to keep taking it indefinitely to suppress your appetite. It doesn't burn fat or increase metabolism. It makes you feel full with less food so you don't eat as much.

The studies showed up to 22.5% of body weight could be lost. I haven't found a rate of loss number. They also showed pretty bad side effects for the first three months. So I don't think taking it for four months would accomplish much in the long term and could be quite unpleasant.
I don't know why people don't just get a gastric balloon.

>>It makes you feel full with less food so you don't eat as much.

They cost between 6-9K. So if you are spending 1K a month on Ozempic, that is 12K a year. A balloon would be a better investment cost wise with no drug sides. I don't know the sides of having a balloon in your stomach, but it has to be a better option than drugs I would think.

https://www.spatzmedical.com/gastric...-balloon-cost/

Old 02-25-2023, 09:15 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I would fork over $13,000 a year for this, and am considering bringing it up with my doctor. It's not just a weight loss drug; it's also a longevity drug and an anti-senescence drug. Minimizing lifetime caloric intake is the number one change you can make to extend your life and maintain health in old age.
Believe it or not, my PCP brought this up with me today. He suggested Wegovy, starting at a low dose to minimize nausea. Unfortunately, Medicare doesn't cover obesity drugs.

Now I have to decide whether or not I want to spend $16,000 a year on losing weight.

Old 02-26-2023, 09:35 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,080,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Believe it or not, my PCP brought this up with me today. He suggested Wegovy, starting at a low dose to minimize nausea. Unfortunately, Medicare doesn't cover obesity drugs.

Now I have to decide whether or not I want to spend $16,000 a year on losing weight.
Yes, that’s the only option for weight loss….

Old 02-27-2023, 08:52 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They said that this particular drug needs to be taken forever - first at higher dose to reach the desired weight, then FOREVER to maintain that weight.
Sure, at some point in might be covered by insurance, or get cheaper, or long term side effects would pull it from the market...
Did anyone read the link where it's spelled out who CAN'T take it for weight loss. Quite a big % of population.

In short:
- Mounjaroâ„¢ has not been studied in patients with a history of pancreatitis

- Mounjaroâ„¢ is not indicated for use in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus

Contraindications:
Mounjaroâ„¢ is contraindicated in patients with:

- A personal or family history of medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC)

- A personal or family history of Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2 (MEN 2)

- Known serious hypersensitivity to tirzepatide

Warnings & precautions.

Observed on trials:
- Pancreatitis has been reported
- May increase the risk of hypoglycemia
- Patients with renal impairment who are reporting severe adverse gastrointestinal reactions
- Mounjaroâ„¢ has not been studied in patients with non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy, proliferative diabetic retinopathy, or diabetic macular edema.
- Acute gallbladder disease has occurred in clinical trials.
- May cause fetal harm
- Risk of thyroid C-cell tumors
If I couldn't lose weight on my own, I would rather invest in a nutritionist that specializes in weight loss than a drug I have to take for life.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:16 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
Weight loss drugs don't work.
Actually, some of them do work, and loads of people lose weight on them.

Then the side effects are discovered, and the weight loss benefits are judged to be insufficient to overbalance the other health risks.

I think eventually they will find a weight loss drug that works without harmful side effects. It's going to cost an arm and a leg (which would reduce your weight quite a bit, right?)

Old 02-27-2023, 03:31 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Actually, some of them do work, and loads of people lose weight on them.

Then the side effects are discovered, and the weight loss benefits are judged to be insufficient to overbalance the other health risks.

I think eventually they will find a weight loss drug that works without harmful side effects. It's going to cost an arm and a leg (which would reduce your weight quite a bit, right?)
One of the reasons you decide to lose weight should be to improve your health.

So don't take something that will cause side effects to your health, lol.

Old 02-28-2023, 03:55 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
One of the reasons you decide to lose weight should be to improve your health.

So don't take something that will cause side effects to your health, lol.
Yeah, the way I phrased it sounded like I resented unsafe drugs being pulled.
Not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss