Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 08:26 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Yeah, the way I phrased it sounded like I resented unsafe drugs being pulled.
Not the case.
Oh no, I didn't think you meant that. I just don't like taking any meds for anything if I can help it, especially not for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 10:18 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Oh no, I didn't think you meant that. I just don't like taking any meds for anything if I can help it, especially not for life.
I quite agree.

Old 03-02-2023, 10:37 AM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
I wouldn't take one of these weight loss drugs unless I had no other choice. If I had to make a choice between going on one of these drugs or becoming an insulin dependent diabetic I would do it.

It irritates me that some of the celebrities who are mostly young and healthy, not obese/diabetic are taking these drugs as quick fixes. They popularize abusing the drugs like that and then the next thing you know there is a shortage.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:31 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Still haven't seen any studies though on what happens when people go off them. I suspect they gain the weight back in short order so you're really stuck on the stuff.
People aren't meant to go off them. They work because they address the problem most overweight people have - that they're bodies do not chemically react correctly to food. It corrects that.

People don't stop taking blood pressure medication when their blood pressure becomes normal. The reason it IS normal is because of the medication. People don't stop taking medicine because it works. It is a chronic condition, not acute.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
Weight loss drugs don't work.

Snake oil that is actually harmful for you. No matter how desperate you're don't fall for their pitch that a pill can make you lose weight.

We can inject you full of certain hormones and you will lose weight, but the best thing to do is do it naturally.
You don't think if people could do it naturally, they would have? Do you just tell people taking antidepressants to just cheer up too?

Obesity is complex. Medicine is just now catching up.

I've always found it curious that people have no problem accepting the fact that some people are just naturally thin. Like they don't necessarily eat the best diet, they don't workout, it's just their body's "normal" or genetics. But yet people somehow just can't wrap their head around the fact that the opposite could ever be true.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:33 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
People aren't meant to go off them. They work because they address the problem most overweight people have - that they're bodies do not chemically react correctly to food. It corrects that.

People don't stop taking blood pressure medication when their blood pressure becomes normal. The reason it IS normal is because of the medication. People don't stop taking medicine because it works. It is a chronic condition, not acute.
That's what I figured as well.

The correct reaction of our bodies to eating excessive calories is to gain fat. You can use a drug to suppress your appetite but once you take away the drug you'll revert to eating to excess and gaining fat again. Ditto for the blood pressure/cholesterol pills. Some people do need them. Most people just need to get some exercise and lose weight. The pills are easier though.

That said, if you accept that you will not address the dietary and exercise habits the side effects of the weight loss, blood pressure, diabetes, Metformin, the new sleep apnea drugs are likely less than just not treating the underlying condition which is often just being fat and not exercising. As someone who ate myself to 250 pounds in my 20s I get the appeal of just taking a pill.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
That's what I figured as well.

The correct reaction of our bodies to eating excessive calories is to gain fat. You can use a drug to suppress your appetite but once you take away the drug you'll revert to eating to excess and gaining fat again. Ditto for the blood pressure/cholesterol pills. Some people do need them. Most people just need to get some exercise and lose weight. The pills are easier though.

That said, if you accept that you will not address the dietary and exercise habits the side effects of the weight loss, blood pressure, diabetes, Metformin, the new sleep apnea drugs are likely less than just not treating the underlying condition which is often just being fat and not exercising. As someone who ate myself to 250 pounds in my 20s I get the appeal of just taking a pill.
But the more we learn, the more we know that it's not as simple as eat less and move more. That's the problem. Those things certainly don't hurt, but a substantial number of people don't react to those things like they theoretically should.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-1980s/407974/

Old 03-13-2023, 01:28 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
But the more we learn, the more we know that it's not as simple as eat less and move more. That's the problem. Those things certainly don't hurt, but a substantial number of people don't react to those things like they theoretically should.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-1980s/407974/
Yup, eat same, move less equals more fat. Light and sedentary work has grown tremendously, surpassed 80% back in like 2010 or something. If you're controlling for calorie intake and exercise that's exactly the finding you'd expect. Eat same, move less as jobs are significantly more sedentary now than 1980 and of course you'll find people are fatter. Shoot, just look how sedentary office jobs have shifted. I used to have to drive to the office, park, walk to the office. I had to get up and go and get paper files, walk to the printer several times a day. Now I sit at home in my Mobile Command Center 2000.

It's not just work. When was the last time you saw someone operating a push lawn mower? I don't really see people out on the weekends washing their cars much anymore. Internet shopping accounts for somewhere around 15-20% of retail sales nowadays, that's a lot of sitting of butt in a chair clickety clicking as physically getting out of the chair, into your car, walking into the store and down the aisles to checkout to. Nowadays you just open your door and pick up the package on your porch. It adds up.

Eat less, move more sounds simple. It's actually fairly nuanced as it's all based on biofeedback loops. Gut biome, for example. The little dudes in the gut it turns out actually play a pretty big role in both the what and how much you eat. Individual metabolism varies pretty significantly so Susie Skinny may be able to eat another 400 calories a day than Fat Beth even though they both live similarly sedentary lifestyles. Meanwhile Fat Beth has a compulsion for potato chips that might even rival my own that eats away at her resolve until she seats the entire back of potato chips. Susie Skinny though meh, she can eat five potato chips and then forget about the bag and rediscover three days later when it's gone stale even though she was two feet in front of it binging on Seinfeld reruns. Life's not fair. I can smell a sealed bag of potato chips hidden in the pantry door from the opposite side of the house. That's why I don't keep bags of potato chips in the house.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-13-2023 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-14-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Yup, eat same, move less equals more fat. Light and sedentary work has grown tremendously, surpassed 80% back in like 2010 or something. If you're controlling for calorie intake and exercise that's exactly the finding you'd expect. Eat same, move less as jobs are significantly more sedentary now than 1980 and of course you'll find people are fatter. Shoot, just look how sedentary office jobs have shifted. I used to have to drive to the office, park, walk to the office. I had to get up and go and get paper files, walk to the printer several times a day. Now I sit at home in my Mobile Command Center 2000.

It's not just work. When was the last time you saw someone operating a push lawn mower? I don't really see people out on the weekends washing their cars much anymore. Internet shopping accounts for somewhere around 15-20% of retail sales nowadays, that's a lot of sitting of butt in a chair clickety clicking as physically getting out of the chair, into your car, walking into the store and down the aisles to checkout to. Nowadays you just open your door and pick up the package on your porch. It adds up.

Eat less, move more sounds simple. It's actually fairly nuanced as it's all based on biofeedback loops. Gut biome, for example. The little dudes in the gut it turns out actually play a pretty big role in both the what and how much you eat. Individual metabolism varies pretty significantly so Susie Skinny may be able to eat another 400 calories a day than Fat Beth even though they both live similarly sedentary lifestyles. Meanwhile Fat Beth has a compulsion for potato chips that might even rival my own that eats away at her resolve until she seats the entire back of potato chips. Susie Skinny though meh, she can eat five potato chips and then forget about the bag and rediscover three days later when it's gone stale even though she was two feet in front of it binging on Seinfeld reruns. Life's not fair. I can smell a sealed bag of potato chips hidden in the pantry door from the opposite side of the house. That's why I don't keep bags of potato chips in the house.
Did you read the article? It says that people who eat the same amount and move the same amount, are the same age, etc. as their counterparts 30 years ago, have a higher body mass index. In other words, there are environmental factors causing people today to be heavier.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Did you read the article? It says that people who eat the same amount and move the same amount, are the same age, etc. as their counterparts 30 years ago, have a higher body mass index. In other words, there are environmental factors causing people today to be heavier.
Right- like we have learned that crash dieting has caused people to reset their base metabolic rates. Unfortunately, this means that each time a person diets, their BMR may reset making it harder and harder to lose weight each time. I have met people who have told me their BMR is a lot lower than it should be. I’m not sure if it is due to prior crash dieting or some issue with the gut micro biome we don’t know about yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss