Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 07:07 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,628 times

Advertisements

Ok. Today was exactly one full week on Nutri System and I am 188 as of this morning. That is six lbs. I am following it to a tee. It’s seems that I am paying for someone to ration what I eat. It’s not so bad. It was $200 for the month and I would have spent that on my regular food anyway. I just want to get down to 180 or even 175 and then I can start fresh.

Again, all of these diets work or don’t work. When I read the T Factor book in 1990, Dr Martin Kataan did a study that showed you can eat as many calories a day as long as fat calories was 30% of them. So I ate six bagels a day, rice, potato’s, bread, pasta, etc, basically all carbs and vegetables. Little fat. Never more than 30 grams per day. I kept the 30 lbs off for over 10 years by eating all carbs. Family members said it was impossible but it wasn't. I just ate tons of carbs and was full all of the time and I never gained an ounce. Dr Kataan said a calorie is not a calorie.me how can 100 calories of an Apple be the same as 100 calories of beef fat? Fat in will always be fat. Made sense to me then and still does.

I’ll see what happens if I reach my goal. I gotta figure out what to do to maintain the weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 02:49 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Ok. Today was exactly one full week on Nutri System and I am 188 as of this morning. That is six lbs. I am following it to a tee. It’s seems that I am paying for someone to ration what I eat. It’s not so bad. It was $200 for the month and I would have spent that on my regular food anyway. I just want to get down to 180 or even 175 and then I can start fresh.

Again, all of these diets work or don’t work. When I read the T Factor book in 1990, Dr Martin Kataan did a study that showed you can eat as many calories a day as long as fat calories was 30% of them. So I ate six bagels a day, rice, potato’s, bread, pasta, etc, basically all carbs and vegetables. Little fat. Never more than 30 grams per day. I kept the 30 lbs off for over 10 years by eating all carbs. Family members said it was impossible but it wasn't. I just ate tons of carbs and was full all of the time and I never gained an ounce. Dr Kataan said a calorie is not a calorie.me how can 100 calories of an Apple be the same as 100 calories of beef fat? Fat in will always be fat. Made sense to me then and still does.

I’ll see what happens if I reach my goal. I gotta figure out what to do to maintain the weight.
When it comes to weight gain, a calorie is really just a calorie. But of course, you should strive to eat your calories from whole foods, foods high in protein and soluble fiber. Increasing your protein spares muscle mass loss during a caloric deficit, and leads to fullness. Protein also requires more energy to digest. Adding soluble fiber likewise increases fullness and requires more energy to digest. More energy to digest means less calories available for weight gain.

Dr Kataan sounds like another Doc selling people what they want to hear, not what they need to hear. People want to believe there are quick fixes and they can eat as much as they want as long as the calories are from “healthy” foods.

Fats require less digestion than complex carbohydrates and protein. Here is a study done out of China showing rising obesity levels tied to higher fat % intake: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7694029/

The Chinese have always had diets high in carbohydrates. But with rising living standards they begun being able to afford diets higher fat and this was correlated to rising obesity.

Keto diet seems to work for many but not all:

1. Since carbohydrates are in many foods, and carb limits are so low, people on Keto diets are forced to look at nutrition labels and by proxy often consume less overall calories
2. Less snack foods available
3. Keto diets tend to be higher in protein. When Keto diets and normal American diets are matched for calories and protein intake, studies show Keto offers no benefit.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:48 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
OP, are you taking any meds? I was on a couple that made me gain lots of weight.

Seriously, I was on 1200 cal a day (weighed, measured) and went to the gym, and I could NOT drop a pound.

As soon as I stopped those meds, the weight came right off.

Otherwise, have you had your testosterone checked (guy?) or thyroid? When DH's T is low, he puts on weight, and same for my thyroid, when my numbers are off I put on weight (again) until my meds can be adjusted.

All kinds of reasons why you could be eating the right amount of calories and not losing weight.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-29-2023, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
OP, are you taking any meds? I was on a couple that made me gain lots of weight.

Seriously, I was on 1200 cal a day (weighed, measured) and went to the gym, and I could NOT drop a pound.

As soon as I stopped those meds, the weight came right off.

Otherwise, have you had your testosterone checked (guy?) or thyroid? When DH's T is low, he puts on weight, and same for my thyroid, when my numbers are off I put on weight (again) until my meds can be adjusted.

All kinds of reasons why you could be eating the right amount of calories and not losing weight.
Some medications cause weight increase by increasing your appetite, others slow down your BMR or interfere with physical activity, while others cause you to retain fluids.

The one’s that cause fluid retention are not a worry, as this will come off almost instantaneously when you get off the medication.

Drugs that slow down your BMR or interfere with physical activity are more of an issue. You will need to reduce your calorie intake to stay in maintenance as the “calorie out” side is lower. All of this can be measured in a laboratory, by measuring heat output, oxygen consumption, or bpm at rest.

Thyroid medication increases your BMR which is why people lose weight on them. Males with low T have lower energy levels and drive/focus which causes them to burn less calories, both when and when not exercising.

Again, no matter the situation, you can lose weight by reducing calories. Some people may not be able to discontinue their meds but doesn’t mean they need to accept weight gain.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:24 AM

I dunno. DH had low T but still worked out the same, ran 5 miles, etc. It was part of his job, so being tired didn't matter, still had to do the exercise, on the same schedule. Still put on weight.

I'm not here to argue with you, I'm just giving the OP ideas on what may be causing him problems on things that have impacted us in the past.

Yeah, perhaps I needed to lower my daily calories to 900 to see weight loss, but that wasn't going to happen.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:30 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Yeah, perhaps I needed to lower my daily calories to 900 to see weight loss, but that wasn't going to happen.
Right, at that point it's fewer calories than a toddler requires. A healthy adult who exercises needs to eat food and that's where you have to put your well being over what the scale says and any vanity about your body.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:43 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I have tried it all. I guess at age 62, I am stuck at 184 no matter what I’d eat or do. So I decided to buy a month of Nutrisystem. Monday morning I was 194.2. Today, four days later, I am 190.5. I will continue. It’s going to work. Then I will see about maintaining.
I used Nutrisystem a bunch of years back and lost about 20 lbs. But I also got 'Nutri-toots' if you get what I mean.

Old 08-29-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I dunno. DH had low T but still worked out the same, ran 5 miles, etc. It was part of his job, so being tired didn't matter, still had to do the exercise, on the same schedule. Still put on weight.

I'm not here to argue with you, I'm just giving the OP ideas on what may be causing him problems on things that have impacted us in the past.

I'm not arguing, just offering helpful context on why meds cause weight gain, and why you can still lose weight on meds.

It's not just about calories burned during exercise. NEAT (all calories your body burns above BMR and subtracting out calories from your workout) can vary widely from person to person.

Quote:
NEAT can vary between two people of similar size by up to 2,000 calories a day. One study that measured NEAT in lean and obese people (all of whom were sedentary and had similar jobs) found that obese people sat an average of two-and-a-half hours more per day than lean people, while lean people stood or walked more than two hours longer each day than obese people.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-...-burn-calories

It's common for some people not adapted to physical activity to burn an extra 500 calories in the gym, but then move less the other 16-18 hours they're awake, therefore nullifying or almost nullifying their workout.

These days, you can track this better with devices like the Garmin, Apple Watch. Speaking from my own experience, when I'm having a particularly inactive day (let's day I'm stuck at home) vs having an active day (no exercise but a lot of moving around), this figure can vary by 1000 calories.

Also, I know you said you measured, and weighed, and were 100% sure you were eating 1,200 calories. That maybe true. I have helped a lot of people lose weight, and I often found people underestimate how much they're eating. One big thing people don't properly count is cooking oils. That can add 100s of calories per meal.

But anyways, I'm not arguing, I'm making sure people have the correct, scientific advice, so they can be empowered to lose weight the right way. I used to diet down regularly to 7-9% bodyfat (from my base of 15%) for fitness purposes. I have helped countless people lose weight, when they thought it was impossible. One thing I do know is how to lose weight.

Often with people I have them track their 24/7 activity with an apple watch/garmin as well as record them preparing and eating food and send to me. when this is done, I was always successful in making adjustments that caused them to lose their weight.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:48 PM

320 posts, read 233,999 times
I agree that joining Weight Watchers teaches you the basics--tracking your food, portion control, how to eat healthy, drinking water, moving daily. I lost 30 lbs on WW over just several months. I ate low carb/protein on a mostly Mediterranean diet. After my subscription ended (it's pricey IMO), I found a tracking app online and everyday, I track what I eat, so that I stay within a certain number of points each day. Once you know the WW system, you can do it on your own. Just take it one day at a time and keep at it. You don't need to be perfect at it, but once you know what to do, you will lose weight.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I'm not arguing, just offering helpful context on why meds cause weight gain, and why you can still lose weight on meds.

It's not just about calories burned during exercise. NEAT (all calories your body burns above BMR and subtracting out calories from your workout) can vary widely from person to person.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-...-burn-calories

It's common for some people not adapted to physical activity to burn an extra 500 calories in the gym, but then move less the other 16-18 hours they're awake, therefore nullifying or almost nullifying their workout.

These days, you can track this better with devices like the Garmin, Apple Watch. Speaking from my own experience, when I'm having a particularly inactive day (let's day I'm stuck at home) vs having an active day (no exercise but a lot of moving around), this figure can vary by 1000 calories.

Also, I know you said you measured, and weighed, and were 100% sure you were eating 1,200 calories. That maybe true. I have helped a lot of people lose weight, and I often found people underestimate how much they're eating. One big thing people don't properly count is cooking oils. That can add 100s of calories per meal.

But anyways, I'm not arguing, I'm making sure people have the correct, scientific advice, so they can be empowered to lose weight the right way. I used to diet down regularly to 7-9% bodyfat (from my base of 15%) for fitness purposes. I have helped countless people lose weight, when they thought it was impossible. One thing I do know is how to lose weight.

Often with people I have them track their 24/7 activity with an apple watch/garmin as well as record them preparing and eating food and send to me. when this is done, I was always successful in making adjustments that caused them to lose their weight.

And I'm not saying you are wrong for most people, I am saying there are situations that can vary.

I would be shocked if someone did not count oil/butter.... that would be a huge omission. I'm a very detailed oriented person.

DH is a certified fitness instructor for law enforcement, heck I worked out during that time with the recruits, and my husband ran me into the ground (I wanted to punch him in the head), at my request though.

On his days off we hiked, rode bikes... all kinds of stuff.

I was JUST cleaning up my photo database, and yeah, I was thick during that time.

But I was on two meds that had a side effect of weight gain, and my thyroid was off.

Weight loss just would NOT happen. Ugh, good lord. I never want to work out that hard again. It was obnoxious.

As another point. Me and my sister. Raised the same, same food, she was more active in sports than me. She ALWAYS tended towards overweight, and I always tended towards under weight. We have different dads. Her dad was overweight, mine was not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss