Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 07:57 PM

846 posts, read 681,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As you begin to exercise your body will burn fat and build muscle
True though
You need to eat enough protein
You need to do exercises that are challenging enough to cause progressive overload.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 08:46 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Your weight would be the same. But not necessarily your health. You'd definitely be lacking in protein and macronutrients. Nobody is seriously recommending eating nothing but junk food.

It's not a binary choice between ice cream only or fish/broccoli only. You can have a bit of both, so long as your protein is high enough and your calories are low enough.

You don't need a 100% perfect diet. You can have a mix of "junk foods" and "clean foods" as long as your calories/macros aren't correct. You aren't going to hit your macro goals, by only eating ice creams. But if you already meet your other nutrient goals for the day, and you have a few extra hundred dollars left in your budget for ice cream, have a bit of ice cream.
Ice cream is dairy, eggs, and sugar, so probably has decent protein.

From the more modern nutrition books I've read, some foods cause more weight gain than others with the same calorie load. The idea that your weight is determined solely by the number of calories you eat--no matter where they come from--has been discredited for well over a decade.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:11 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
"As you begin to exercise your body will burn fat and build muscle...."
True though You need to eat enough protein
You need to do exercises that are challenging enough to cause progressive overload.
That's been my whole mindset for the 2 years I have been working out. I've lost about 30 pounds or so, and a WHOLE BUNCH of inches.

FWIW: I am 78. I worked out on and off most of my life and was always active. Walked a lot.
But it wasn't enough. Two years ago I had a quadruple bypass. Made a complete recovery and work out 3X a week.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:57 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I'm talking purely from a weight loss perspective. It doesn't matter if you eat 1,200 calories of Mcdonald's or 1,200 of chicken and broccoli.. you would lose weight either way because there is a caloric deficit.
True, I mean Jared Fogle ate one small turkey sub and one large veggie sub along with some baked potato chips and diet soda each day and coupled with exercise, was able to drop 245 pounds!

Old 03-24-2023, 09:14 AM

846 posts, read 681,244 times
If you were to talk to an athlete or bodybuilder who is knowledgable on nutrition, about the idea that you could lose weight while eating only junk food, they wouldn't be offended nor impressed. They already know you can do that.

Like if someone were to make a video on youtube of losing 30 lbs eating only Burger King, im sure many of the average people will be shocked like "omg, how did you do that". Whereas someone who knows a lot about nutrition, would just be stoically unsurprised.

They already know you can lose weight that way. They're not offended or pleasantly surprised. But they don't think it's the optimal way to lose weight either.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:56 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,295,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
True, I mean Jared Fogle ate one small turkey sub and one large veggie sub along with some baked potato chips and diet soda each day and coupled with exercise, was able to drop 245 pounds!
Not sure Fogle a good role model for anything I wondered if he was out of Prison according to wiki he wrote to the NY Post he is down to 180 now exercising in Prison after being attacked by another inmate.

My own experience with my weight is that less Colores you take in the better should only eat what you actually need.

We tend to overdo it when we are used to eating big meals. The body will make insulin at a time when it knows you will be eating you get really hungry of that insulin bump. Get into those cycles of getting really hungry and then eating 2000-2500 calorie meals. It becomes a cycle have to break that cycle not easy to do and it's very easy to fall back into it.

Old 03-24-2023, 05:51 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Not sure Fogle a good role model for anything I wondered if he was out of Prison according to wiki he wrote to the NY Post he is down to 180 now exercising in Prison after being attacked by another inmate.
Of course Jared is a horrible person for what he did with minors, but weight lost wise, he did show you are able to lose 200+ pounds from eating hoagies everyday and exercising.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:36 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You went to the store and bought carbs, carbs, broccoli, squash, carbs, etc.

If that is what you mean by "eating far less carbs" then - you need to start from scratch. First, look up the definition of carbs. Then, seek out a list of foods that fall into the "carbs" category.
Given that broccoli and squash mainly consist of carbohydrates, apparently you need to do so as well.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:40 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Update us if you get a chance. I'd love to hear if your changes are making a difference yet.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:38 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Muscle weighs more than fat. You could be losing fat and gaining muscle. Also, if you are not eating enough, the body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism drops as the body tries to preserve its mass. See a nutritionist.

Again, don't focus on weekly changes.
How is the OP gaining muscle when she isnt lifting weights?

2. Starvation mode is a myth. Please stop repeating it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss