Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 02:03 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
And if so,what were your experiences with it?
I think you should explain what it is about. Or you want us to Google your question?

I am not exclusive meat eater, but I do eat meat daily. However, I stick to well balanced diet - which includes dairy, grains and produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 02:08 PM

623 posts, read 311,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Electroshock was used to treat masturbation 100 years ago too.

Cranial drilling was used to treat mood swings.

Opium was used to treat headaches.

Prayer is still used to treat everything from broken bones to cancer and contagious diseases.

NONE of the above work.

Just because something was used to treat something 100 years ago doesn't mean it was useful then, or would be useful now.

Thankfully, science is an ongoing subject, where people learn new things every day and don't cling to something they thought /might/ work, 100 years ago.

Meanwhile, humans are not carnivores. We are not herbivores. We are omnivores. That means we get the "best bang for the buck" when we can include a variety of animal-based and plant-based foods in our daily diet.
Overall, a good post, in my opinion. However, not everyone is the same. A good diet for one person will kill another, a diabetic, for instance. Many people benefit from dairy products. Many don't. There is more than one acceptable diet for many or most people.

"Science" isn't science if it does not notice differences among varying test populations, to say nothing of total real-life populations.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:13 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,542,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
I'm on a keto diet and do eat meat. Only organic, great quality. I'm a former strict lacto-ovo-vegetarian (for 11 years).

Following a very low carbs diet (carnivore is zero carbs) had great benefits for my health. Less chronic pain, less problems with insomnia, gradual weight loss, increased mental focus/clarity etc.

For me the most difficult was the idea of eating meat again, after 11 years as a vegetarian. Even today, sometimes I have difficulties accepting the fact that animals had to give their lives so I can eat meat and stay healthy. That's why I pray and give thanks every time before a meal. I'm into yoga and meditation, so it can be difficult to just let go...imagine that.

This diet was used 100 years ago for treating epilepsy in children. The knowledge has been lost in time, unfortunately.

Take care.
why did you give up your previous diet after 11 yrs? Just wondering what caused you to do so. I would think that would be hard to do.

Old 04-03-2023, 04:05 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,005,048 times
Debilitating illness. Severe hormonal changes in the body. I want to keep it private, no more details about it here.

I had the blessings of a Buddhist nun and another advanced Hindu monk (Swami Order) to start eating meat. Actually they insisted that I start eating meat very soon, they had this idea...and it was brilliant, in my case.

Before the 11 years of lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet, I had another 7 year period on a semi-vegetarian diet. Rarely having small servings of fish and chicken during that period (7 years), mostly salads, veggies, whole wheat, fruits, nuts, soy, dairy, rarely eggs. So 7+11=18 years of restricting meat consumption.

In my case, eating meat is vital. That's the way it is, nothing I can do about it. It's either eating meat or being in the hospital.
(No pork and beef since 1993, at all. But recently I started to eat a little organic beef, I have to get used to it, gradually).

Last edited by farm108; 04-03-2023 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-03-2023, 04:37 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Debilitating illness. Severe hormonal changes in the body. I want to keep it private, no more details about it here.

I had the blessings of a Buddhist nun and another advanced Hindu monk (Swami Order) to start eating meat. Actually they insisted that I start eating meat very soon, they had this idea...and it was brilliant, in my case.

Before the 11 years of lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet, I had another 7 year period on a semi-vegetarian diet. Rarely having small servings of fish and chicken during that period (7 years), mostly salads, veggies, whole wheat, fruits, nuts, soy, dairy, rarely eggs. So 7+11=18 years of restricting meat consumption.

In my case, eating meat is vital. That's the way it is, nothing I can do about it. It's either eating meat or being in the hospital.
(No pork and beef since 1993, at all. But recently I started to eat a little organic beef, I have to get used to it, gradually).
I was told by my TCM acupuncturist that my body requires meat, particularly beef. I eat more seafood than anything, but do eat beef regularly in my diet. I think we have to listen to what our bodies need, and we are all different. As a Type 2 diabetic, I have also had to cut down on refined carbs, and I feel a whole lot better.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:52 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Overall, a good post, in my opinion. However, not everyone is the same. A good diet for one person will kill another, a diabetic, for instance. Many people benefit from dairy products. Many don't. There is more than one acceptable diet for many or most people.

"Science" isn't science if it does not notice differences among varying test populations, to say nothing of total real-life populations.
Dairy is a TYPE of animal byproduct. All foods for humans fall into one of two categories:

animal-based
plant-based

ALL foods will be one or the other. The human species is biologically designed to benefit MOST, nutritionally, when it is fed a variety of plant AND animal-based foods.

That doesn't mean people have to have dairy. You can eat an omnivorous diet without ever ingesting a drop of milk.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:26 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
A couple points--

Humans are obligate carnivores and facultative herbivores (look up the definitions)-- from our dentition to the length of our intestines to the enzymes we do or do not make, we have evolve to be meat eaters and need meat. We can get by on veggies, if we must.

ALL plants and animals ALL have ALL the nutrients---check out the metabolic pathway charts in a biochem book-- from the lowliest bacteria to H.sapiens- all the basic pathways are basically the same and require the same co-enzymes (vitamins & minerals)-- The problem is nutrient density differences between food from plants vs animals. Pound for pound, plants are lousy sources of nutrients compared to meat.

The best dietary policy is to eat a varied diet based on meat as the principle source of protein & important fats. Meat is woefully short on several viatamns, although societies like the American Plaines Indians rarely ate any vegetable matter.

As ben states above-- everybody is different-- some people do better on a high meat intake while others do better on more plants. Figure yourself out by trial and error.

As far as extreme diets go-- no need. Moderation is optimum.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:14 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
guidoLaMoto you don't understand the term "Obligate Carnivore." You're using it wrong. Humans are not obligate carnivores. An obligate carnivore is a "true" carnivore. A true carnivore lacks the necessary physiology to fully digest plant matter and will get an upset stomach if they try. That is a biological situation, not a choice or individual "sensitive stomach" situation. The species of humans living on this planet currently are omnivores. We are not carnivores, obligate or otherwise.

Felines of all types, most lizards, are obligate carnivores.

That isn't to say we are not carnivorous. That is a different word, and has a different meaning. It means we DO eat meat. It doesn't mean we MUST eat meat.

There are omnivores, carnivores, and herbivores. Carnivores -can- eat plants, but not well, and will likely suffer if you try and remove their animal-based diet in exchange for only plants. Herbivores -can- eat animal-based foods, but will likely suffer if you try to remove their plant-based diet in exchange for only flesh. Omnivores -can- eat both flesh and animal, and will derive the most nutrition from a combination. Omnivores REQUIRE fiber from plants. They also REQUIRE more protein than most plants can provide, and B vitamins which are in insufficient proportions in plants to rely on plants for consumption of appropriate amounts of B.

Some people do better eating more meats than veggies, some people do better eating more veggies than meats. But the human race is classified as "omnivore."

Old 04-04-2023, 08:36 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Cats love it.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:05 AM

310 posts, read 323,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserterer View Post
cats love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss