Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:02 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,965 times

Advertisements

No -- he did not die of a heart attack.

he was in a coma after a bad slip on the ice where he hit his head.

and Atkins WOE is not about eating saturated fats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:24 PM

655 posts, read 916,429 times
All Caps Because I Want To Say This Very Loud And Clear So All Diet Fade Takers Hear Me............................

Eat Less, Do More!

This Is How You Loose Weight And Keep It Off! Period! Got It? Now Go Do It!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,718,704 times
The thing I hated about Atkins was that it was so restrictive. South Beach just seemed more normal and realistic to me. And even though we don't follow South Beach to a tee these days, we still follow it's principles. Atkins didn't seem to approach the difference between good and bad fats, and it also outlawed many fruits which seemed strange.

Really what it came down to for us was having a diet we could stick to that met our daily lifestyle. And South Beach wasn't that far off. I quit things like potatoes, but eat sweet potatoes, quit white pasta, went to wheat, same with bread --- what can be wrong with that?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:27 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Robert Atkins did not die of a heart attack. He slipped on some ice near his office in NYC and cracked his skull.
It seems to me that not all humans are built the same way, and not every human should be eating the exact same diet.
When I eat low carb, I feel good, I have more energy. When I was a vegetarian, I felt tired.
Some vegetarians feel great, and they should keep doing what they're doing if it works for them...It's not a one size fits all world out there.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:00 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Eat Less, Do More!

This Is How You Loose Weight And Keep It Off! Period! Got It? Now Go Do It!
And the reason that low-carb works for some people is that the increased protein helps them feel more satisfied with less food. And that is how you lose weight.

Quote:
it also outlawed many fruits which seemed strange
Not at all. Some fruit are mostly sugar (bananas, oranges) and some have surprisingly little nutritional value (figs, nectarines).

I've not found fruit to be all that filling, either. 100 calories of fish will keep me satisfied longer than 100 calories of an apple or orange.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Stay away from Atkins!! The inventor of the diet died from a hear attack!

Eating all that meat cannot be healthy.

Try fasting on juices - fruit and vegetable juices. Google Juice Fasting - I think it's amazing! Better then eating all that saturated fat. Ugh!
See, that's the exact kind of mis-information that makes people think Atkins is scary. The biggest opponents of Atkins have been groups like the "Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine" (PCRM) which is a front group for PETA. Go figure.

Fasting on juices? That's not in the least bit healthy for more than a day or two. It's not a sustainable weight loss program, that's for sure.

Atkins, when done properly, is a healthy diet. However, done wrong it can be unhealthy, which is why one MUST READ THE BOOK.

Also, there is a great book by Jonny Bowden called "Living the Low Carb Life" which gives you all the science behind low carb diets as well as a rundown on 14 different low carb plans.

I did Atkins several years ago to lose weight and now my husband and I do a "low carb lifestyle" to help him control his blood sugar and cholesterol.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:38 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Also, there is no law that says if you're doing low carb you must eat steak topped with bacon and fried in butter. In fact, there are some low carb vegetarians. I'd find that a little too restrictive, but it exists.
Again, if you actually go and read some low carb books, you will find that not one of them says stay away from all fruits forever. Most of them say that after the 2-3 week "jumpstart" period, it's very beneficial to eat things like berries and melons.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:47 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
See, that's the exact kind of mis-information that makes people think Atkins is scary. The biggest opponents of Atkins have been groups like the "Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine" (PCRM) which is a front group for PETA. Go figure.

Fasting on juices? That's not in the least bit healthy for more than a day or two. It's not a sustainable weight loss program, that's for sure.

Atkins, when done properly, is a healthy diet. However, done wrong it can be unhealthy, which is why one MUST READ THE BOOK.

Also, there is a great book by Jonny Bowden called "Living the Low Carb Life" which gives you all the science behind low carb diets as well as a rundown on 14 different low carb plans.

I did Atkins several years ago to lose weight and now my husband and I do a "low carb lifestyle" to help him control his blood sugar and cholesterol.

Oops! I thourght he had died of a heart attack.

If Atkins works for you fine, everyone is different. I am not a big meat eater so would find steak for breakfast a bit nauseous.

The juice fast I have been following is not done for long periods of time, but I have lost 14 pounds in one month following it. Fruit and Vegetables are full of vitamins and fibre and it has certainly helped me - where other diets have failed. I feel really good too, my skin is in good condition, I have energy. Juice fasting allows your body to rest and many times, heal itself of all sorts of ailments.

Check out Freedom You - a site all about fasting.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:08 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,965 times
>>....so would find steak for breakfast a bit nauseous.

yet another misconception ..... eating the steak, topped with bacon, fried in butter.

my breakfast would be a nice protein shake, with kefir, fresh berries and flax seeds
a nice quiche
scrambled eggs with fresh spinach and tomato
heck -- maybe even bacon and eggs.

I do agree that fasting [juice fasting] is good for the body and the mind .... I've done it too [curezone.com] but it is not meant as a way to lose weight. Sure, you will lose weight ... but once you begin consuming real foods again... it gradually comes back.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:23 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,285 times
The weight goes back if you go back to old eating habits. The juice fast is something that should kickstart a new, healthy way of eating.

Milk shake does sound nicer than steak for breakfast! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss