Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366;3970795

I do agree that fasting [juice fasting
is good for the body and the mind .... I've done it too [curezone.com] but it is not meant as a way to lose weight. Sure, you will lose weight ... but once you begin consuming real foods again... it gradually comes back.
I'll agree here too - I didn't mean to sound negative about fasting because I know it has lots of benefits. But it is really important that people do research and understand fasting and what it can do before attempting it (similar to low carb). And yes, fasting must also be followed by a change to healthier eating!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 04:55 AM

10 posts, read 62,514 times
thanks for your suggestions. if you know more please suggest me about that

Old 06-05-2008, 08:59 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Stay away from Atkins!! The inventor of the diet died from a hear attack!

Eating all that meat cannot be healthy.

Try fasting on juices - fruit and vegetable juices. Google Juice Fasting - I think it's amazing! Better then eating all that saturated fat. Ugh!
Oh dear, someone without the facts. Atikins did not die from a heart attack. Dr. Atkins died on 17 April 2003 at the age of 72 after sustaining head injuries following a fall outside his New York clinic. This can be easily verified at Snopes among other credible sources.

As to his diet, most of the critics are coming around to recognizing that the Atkins diet can be helpful. Even the conservative American Diabetes Association recently admitted that it is effective for weight loss and can be used as a weight loss regimen to help control diabetes. They had been critics of Atkins for decades.

But others have improved on Atkins, including South Beach.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
The vast majority of studies have shown that folks on Atkins have lower cholesterol and lower blood pressure. I felt that Atkins maybe should have put more of an emphasis on consuming healthy fats such as Omega 3s from fish and flax and Omega 9's from nuts and avocados.
Again, it's not for everybody. If you feel the best eating grains, Atkins is not for you. But low carb worked well for me.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:09 PM

5,338 posts, read 4,425,953 times
This is an example of the very unhealty daily menu of one that follows Atkins:

Breakfast:
2 Egg Omelet w/water not cream
* 1/2 cup baby spinach
* 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
* 1 tbs chopped onion
* 1 tbs Parmesan cheese

Lunch:
*1 cup baby lettuce
*1/4 cup feta cheese
*3 oz turkey
*1 tbls olive oil
*2 tbls red wine vinegar
*4 black olives

Dinner:
* 1/4 oz hamburger patty
* 1/2 cup sauted fresh mushrooms
* 1 slice swiss cheese
* 2 lettuce leaves
* 1/2 cup sliced zucchini

Snack:
* 2 ribs celery
* 3 oz tuna
* 1 tbl mayo

That all comes to a little under 1300 cal. and 18 carbs.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:58 PM

780 posts, read 1,765,542 times
Default Atkins

They just released a new study where they compared Atkins/Mediterrainan/Low Fat and Atkins group lost more in the same time period as the other diets not to mention they have found it to be a good diet. My son in law is a Heart Dr and he has done Atkins for 3 yrs so thats pretty good reference as far as I'm concerned. I did Atkins over two yrs ago and lost 40 lbs in about 3-4mths and kept it off until I moved here 10 mths ago and discovered all the good food in Tn. I am going back on Atkins now to lose the 30 lbs I have gained back so I will let you know how I do, gotta get back into the right frame of mind, Atkins isnt easy to stick with due to the evening munchies but I did it once I can do it again, not to mention my cholestrol and blood pressure got better when I was on Atkins.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:32 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
This is an example of the very unhealty daily menu of one that follows Atkins:

Breakfast:
2 Egg Omelet w/water not cream
* 1/2 cup baby spinach
* 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
* 1 tbs chopped onion
* 1 tbs Parmesan cheese

Lunch:
*1 cup baby lettuce
*1/4 cup feta cheese
*3 oz turkey
*1 tbls olive oil
*2 tbls red wine vinegar
*4 black olives

Dinner:
* 1/4 oz hamburger patty
* 1/2 cup sauted fresh mushrooms
* 1 slice swiss cheese
* 2 lettuce leaves
* 1/2 cup sliced zucchini

Snack:
* 2 ribs celery
* 3 oz tuna
* 1 tbl mayo

That all comes to a little under 1300 cal. and 18 carbs.
What would be unhealthy about this? The lack of vegetables?

This sample menu sounds like it would be part of the induction phase (the first two weeks), not representative of the main diet, which does include more vegetables if I remember correctly.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:09 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
Diet tip: You can kick off any diet with low carb to get rid of your storage and get to fat burning right away. Dont stay on it more than a few days and wean back your carbs.
You will lose a ton of water weight right away and geta good visual reason to stick to your plan. Whatever it is.

You dont have to eat meat to be low carb either.:

Vegetarian Lowcarb

"You can be a vegetarian using any of these diets. Even a vegan. In fact, you can be a vegan while doing Atkins Induction (the strictest of the strict, the 2 week entry diet). If you choose to eat meat, fine, but you do not have to eat meat to lowcarb."

sample menu:
Vegan Low Carb Diet - Menus, Menu Analysis, and Recipes
"
Breakfast:
1 cup plain organic enriched soy milk
½ cup uncooked organic rolled oats, added to the soy milk & allowed to soak
4 walnut halves (about 2 Tbs), chopped up and added to the cereal
1-2 Tbs dehydrated raspberries, added to the cereal
1 orange

Lunch:
6 cups (approx.) salad, including lettuce, red cabbage, carrot shavings, tomato, celery, cucumber, red or yellow bell pepper, snow or snap peas (when available for a reasonable price)
3 ¼ - 3 ½ ounces marinated baked tofu
2 Tbs low-carb oil and vinegar dressing
0.6-0.7 oz dark chocolate (70-88% cocoa)

Snack:
2/3 cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt
1 peach, cut up and mixed with the yogurt

Dinner:
½ cup cooked organic short-grain brown rice
2-3 cups of the entrée, depending on what’s in it, but all vegetables, including a leafy green (kale, collards, bok choy, chard, beet greens, etc.), and a brassica (cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc) [some foods, such as kale, are in both categories] and almost always carrots [entree usually includes about 1.5 teaspoons of olive oil]

Dessert:
1 apple
0.6-0.7 oz dark chocolate (70-88% cocoa) "

Old 08-10-2008, 11:58 AM

780 posts, read 1,765,542 times
Default Mock Danish

If you are doing Atkins go to YouTube and search out "mock danish", its a great breakfast item or anytime item and its so simple to make, really good!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:37 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,254 times
I did atkins years ago and it worked extremely well, when my mother died, I gained my weight back and that was after two years of starting the diet and no I wasnt on it for two years. I lost most of it again and then my father died last year - hence the weight has not only come back on, but my activity level is 0 to none - welcome personal trainer, I start today......hopefully this will help me get back in shape - I should have started 6 weeks ago......when my kids started day camp, I would be 10 -15 pounds thinner - cant think about the past, can only move forward.

there are a lot of positive things in regard to atkins - you have to make smart choices in life.... sure you can eat chicken wings 24/7 and if that is all you eat, i guarantee youll lose weight, but is it the smart thing to do?? of course not..... maybe some chicken broth, with a nice salad with blue cheese dressing and a side of chicken (broiled not fried if you prefer) for dinner?? along with some broccoli? whats wrong with that???? it doesnt have to be steak at all, although I LOVE my steak.....

how about a tomato stuffed with tuna??? yum, along with a salad??? for lunch, that sounds pretty healthy to me? or am I nuts??

wanna a yummy treat?? try freezing cool whip and have a few teaspoons of that... OR

top off some strawberries or blueberries with whipped cream??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss