Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 09:34 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This isn't really a sustainable way to think about eating for the rest of your life, though. Sugar isn't actually addictive, but denying yourself the occasional treat (that can be more than every few months) is making you obsessive about it, and that's not healthy, either. If your diet was sustainable and enjoyable, you wouldn't need to "cheat" on it, because the things you enjoy can fit in a healthy diet.
So technically, sugar may not be addictive, but for many of us, eating sugar (or even too many good carbs) can cause physical cravings. You may have never experienced this but it is amazing to feel the difference between a time when you don't crave sugars to when you do. It's a real challenge for many of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 11:25 AM

3,393 posts, read 1,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So technically, sugar may not be addictive, but for many of us, eating sugar (or even too many good carbs) can cause physical cravings. You may have never experienced this but it is amazing to feel the difference between a time when you don't crave sugars to when you do. It's a real challenge for many of us.
You are correct it's not just sugar but carbs also. After a bit on the diet I am on my carb cravings disappeared then a friend wanted to treat me to pizza and then the cravings came right back after a strict 3 months of carnivore.

Old 10-17-2023, 11:26 AM

3,393 posts, read 1,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Just want to butt in with an observation (from someone who's gained and lost a lot of weight over a lifetime).

Diets don't fail because you fall off the wagon. Diets fail when you don't get back onto the wagon.
I am back on the wagon. Some can do moderation with sugar and carbs I know I can't.

Old 10-18-2023, 03:41 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Just eat healthy, unprocessed foods, nutritious foods as much as possible. Concentrate on this.
Your so right.... a few months ago while waiting on a hip replacement partly through worry, pain etc and partly because its better to lose weight with joint problems.. I lost well over a stone and a dress size ..Ive had the op no six weeks ago and still following the good eating programme with plenty of protein and less junk and bread.. it works , and hopefully will help me with any other problems I might have in the future... Im very rarely hungry.. but if I do feel like something sweet I put some frozen berries in a blender with milk.. and a little honey... does the trick.. good luck all..

Old 10-18-2023, 07:44 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Just eat healthy, unprocessed foods, nutritious foods as much as possible. Concentrate on this.
That's the key to health. I try not to eat anything with more than 1 ingredient.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:36 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
You are correct it's not just sugar but carbs also. After a bit on the diet I am on my carb cravings disappeared then a friend wanted to treat me to pizza and then the cravings came right back after a strict 3 months of carnivore.
Most carbohydrates are complex chains of sugars, and our bodies break them down into simple sugars to use them.

Breaking the complex carbs into simple sugars takes time and energy, so they don't have the immediate impact of table sugar.

------
I keep seeing people say things like "I don't eat carbs, just veggies," so let me offer a much simplified breakdown:

All calories in food come from three sources:
--Fat
--Protein
--Carbohydrates

Meats--Red meat, poultry, and seafood-- contain only protein and fat, no carbs.

Plants--including vegetables, fruits, root veggies, and grains--are almost entirely carbohydrates. Some, like avocados and olives, contain notable amounts of fat. Some plants have protein as well.

Nuts and dairy can contain all three sources of calories.

Some carbs in plant products are insoluble fiber, which our bodies can't break down; this slows digestion of those foods. The fiber just passes through our digestive systems, helping other stuff move along, too.

Highly processed foods like white bread and pasta have had the fiber removed, so they break down into sugars more easily.

That's super simplified, and doesn't touch upon essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals.

Last edited by steiconi; 10-18-2023 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-18-2023, 05:02 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I'm also 5'10", so I know the recommendation is we should weigh between 150 and 170 lbs. I haven't been that low in 30 years, but have been gradually losing weight by cutting carbs and doing IF.

I focus on eating whole foods, mostly veggies and protein. I don't eat red meat, so eggs, poultry, and seafood are my jam.

Recent surgery led me to a nutrition consult, so I've added whey protein powder to my diet while I heal. It tastes like malted milk, yum. I'm afraid to check the sugar content.
Me too. 5’10” and about 200. For some reason, I went down to about 180 a few years ago. No clue why. I was happier at that weight, but I didn’t stay there. Now, I’m 75 and I just don’t feel like I give a **** anymore.

At my age, I’ll just eat or drink what I want.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:15 PM

524 posts, read 246,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Don’t just listen to professionals, use common sense. What is this Dr McCullough telling you about weight loss not being related to calories in/out? And ask yourself if that makes sense. Ask yourself why obesity is higher in wealthy countries where calories are plentiful and cheap and not in poor countries. Why do almost no North Koreans have overweight BMIs when their primary calorie source is refined carbohydrates?

Apply everything you hear critically
It’s funny because I googled this Dr. McDougall after catching up on this thread. I come from hardy peasant stock and his diet sounds a lot like a blueprint for how my people eat: lots of starchy carbs, plenty of vegetables and fruit, plant proteins, and very sparing amounts of fats. I don’t know if it’s due to genetics or due to what folks put on their carbs (we stick with herbs, spices, and aromatics instead of sauces and dressings), but obesity is not common.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:44 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,349,149 times
The carb cravings "come back" because you are depriving yourself of eating them. Same with the sugar.

After over 30 years (give or take a few) of dieting i learned that. The more you deprive yourself of something, the more you will crave it - especially when you finally eat some (which you will).

Once i started eating everything - especially if i was craving it! - i was better able to control my eating. I've kept the weight loss off for the longest time in my life (which is really what matters). But no one likes hearing about how i do it lol. Everyone wants to be on a "diet" where they only get to "cheat" now and then. I've learned what my true hunger is, and what it feels like when i start to feel full. I don't have to choose something to eat because a PLAN says i have to eat it. I eat it because it's what i want to eat and what i like, and i stop as soon as i begin to feel full.

But i do wish anyone continued good luck with whatever plan they choose. I've been on all of them.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:43 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
The carb cravings "come back" because you are depriving yourself of eating them. Same with the sugar...........
What if you had never tasted sugar? Ever. Would you still crave it?
No. You wouldn't. You wouldn't crave it any more than a non drinker would crave another drink.

Sugar is addictive - more so to some people than others. And an awful lot of us 21st century people are addicted to sugar and many other items in that category.
I'm saying it is not a natural craving. Your diet led you to addiction, and chances are your upbringing laid the foundation for the whole problem.
Addicts - sugar, alcohol, nicotine, drugs, carbohydrates - must not have cheat days. You decide for yourself what level of addiction you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss