Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 04:39 PM

3,393 posts, read 1,547,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
How do you gain weight if you're perpetually on a deficit? You know, people go emanciated and then die of starvation all the time in the third world

What you think of a calorie deficit is really someone who cuts calories for a short time, then gives up, and begins eating again. If they attempted to lose weight too quickly, they may have lost some muscle, and what they will regain will likely be fat, resulting in their body fat % going up.
Ya if you dramatically cut the amount of food you eat for a long time you can starve. I am sure you have heard of the theory of you cut your calories too low for a long time that you will ruin your metabolism now you have to eat less to maintain your weight.even if you don't agree you have heard of it. The body adjusts to less calories and burns less. Your body is smart and weight loss any kind your body does not like .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 05:02 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,497,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya if you dramatically cut the amount of food you eat for a long time you can starve. I am sure you have heard of the theory of you cut your calories too low for a long time that you will ruin your metabolism now you have to eat less to maintain your weight.even if you don't agree you have heard of it. The body adjusts to less calories and burns less. Your body is smart and weight loss any kind your body does not like .
Any time you lose weight, your metabolism actually decreases. Even fat has metabolic demands, as its live tissue. You can counteract this by being more active. If you have a lot of fat, chances are that you're sedentary.

But yea, and this is true for any diet. As you drop in weight, your maintenance caloric need is lower and lower. The key is not to lose muscle. If you try and lose weight too quickly, you will lose some muscle.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Any time you lose weight, your metabolism actually decreases. Even fat has metabolic demands, as its live tissue. You can counteract this by being more active. If you have a lot of fat, chances are that you're sedentary.

But yea, and this is true for any diet. As you drop in weight, your maintenance caloric need is lower and lower. The key is not to lose muscle. If you try and lose weight too quickly, you will lose some muscle.
I have been always active. if you are fat it's because your diet is bad. you can't out-exercise a bad diet. I remember playing 2 hours of tennis 4 times a week and being fat. It's because my diet was horrible with pizza and beer. diet is 90 percent of losing weight. there are fat people who are in good shape meaning cardiovascular shape. no, if you ruin your metabolism its going to take time to fix it. you can only be so active that if you do more you can get injured or it's not healthy. so if your metabolism is ruined you need to change your diet.

Old 08-09-2023, 09:27 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,952 times
Oh boy.

Look, I get it, if you rely on youtube for information, you are likely going to get misled. Either intentionally, or because the person actually has no clue what they are talking about.

As someone who has delved deeply into the topics and literature and exercise physiology books, I can tell you everything that WakikiWaves is saying is spot on.

Maybe if you coat all your food in some protective coating so it doesn't get absorbed in the intenstinal tract, than yeah you could eat more calories than you would need to burn. But this is mostly an absurdest theoretical. The body is very efficient at absorbing nutrients.

Insulin is the biggest distraction of the 21st century in nutrition. Insulin goes up when you eat, and then it goes back down when you don't. There are ample opportunities for fat storage and fat burning. If you don't eat much, your insulin will be lower for a majority of the time and you will net burn fat.

But even if you didn't eat any carbs or protein (protein also causes insulin response), and just stuff yourself with butter, you will still get fat.

I repeat, even without any insulin response, you can still store fat.

Why? Becuase there are other pathways to store fat. (Acylation stimulating protein if I did hack the name).

So it doesn't matter what macronutrient you consume, the body - trained over tens of thousands of years to avoid starvation - will freaking figure out how to store any excess energy.

Please, please, stop the nonsense. If you want to lose weight, you'll likely need to

1) Create a caloric deficit at least partially through caloric restriction

2) Enhance the deficit by increasing the amount of low intensity activity you do daily

3) Eat protein to preserve lean body mass during dieting, fruits and veggies for nutrition.

Sorry there is no other workaround, the body knows too many tricks.

P.S. if anyone wants to obsess over what people used to do to be thin centuries ago - it's not diet, it's the metric ton of daily activity they did while we sit on our computer staring at Youtube videos of idiots tricking you about nutrition.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:40 AM

Quote:
I have been always active. if you are fat it's because your diet is bad. you can't out-exercise a bad diet. I remember playing 2 hours of tennis 4 times a week and being fat. It's because my diet was horrible with pizza and beer. diet is 90 percent of losing weight. there are fat people who are in good shape meaning cardiovascular shape. no, if you ruin your metabolism its going to take time to fix it. you can only be so active that if you do more you can get injured or it's not healthy. so if your metabolism is ruined you need to change your diet.
I don't disagree that diet is way more important than exercise for losing weight. Or let me put it another way, if an average man eats 1 apple, that's 7 minutes on a treadmill at 8mph to burn it off. And that's an apple!

All I'm saying as that you lose weight, your caloric maintenance will begin to fall, but you can increase your exercise to offset this decrease in caloric maintenance.

Example, let's say you're 6'4 and 300lbs (assuming avg muscle mass for all of these examples), your BMR is roughly 2,500. But ideally, you should be 180lbs, which means your BMR will only be 1,900!

Oh no you say! I have to eat 600 less calories to maintain my ideal weight. But it's very simple. At 300lbs you were largely sedentary, now you're probably full of energy and moving around, so let's say NEAT goes up by 300 calories per day (very doable, for some it will go up far higher). Then you just burn an extra 300 calories a day (or more realistically, an extra 2,100 calories a week since the avg person doesn't workout everyday) and now your maintenance is 2,600 calories (as it was at 300lbs) but at your ideal bodyweight.

Getting an apple watch to track your daily activity can be a good way for you to see just how your NEAT fluctuates over time.

Old 08-10-2023, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Oh boy.

Look, I get it, if you rely on youtube for information, you are likely going to get misled. Either intentionally, or because the person actually has no clue what they are talking about.

As someone who has delved deeply into the topics and literature and exercise physiology books, I can tell you everything that WakikiWaves is saying is spot on.

Maybe if you coat all your food in some protective coating so it doesn't get absorbed in the intenstinal tract, than yeah you could eat more calories than you would need to burn. But this is mostly an absurdest theoretical. The body is very efficient at absorbing nutrients.

Insulin is the biggest distraction of the 21st century in nutrition. Insulin goes up when you eat, and then it goes back down when you don't. There are ample opportunities for fat storage and fat burning. If you don't eat much, your insulin will be lower for a majority of the time and you will net burn fat.

But even if you didn't eat any carbs or protein (protein also causes insulin response), and just stuff yourself with butter, you will still get fat.

I repeat, even without any insulin response, you can still store fat.

Why? Becuase there are other pathways to store fat. (Acylation stimulating protein if I did hack the name).

So it doesn't matter what macronutrient you consume, the body - trained over tens of thousands of years to avoid starvation - will freaking figure out how to store any excess energy.

Please, please, stop the nonsense. If you want to lose weight, you'll likely need to

1) Create a caloric deficit at least partially through caloric restriction

2) Enhance the deficit by increasing the amount of low intensity activity you do daily

3) Eat protein to preserve lean body mass during dieting, fruits and veggies for nutrition.

Sorry there is no other workaround, the body knows too many tricks.

P.S. if anyone wants to obsess over what people used to do to be thin centuries ago - it's not diet, it's the metric ton of daily activity they did while we sit on our computer staring at Youtube videos of idiots tricking you about nutrition.
Thank you! Just going to add detail on fat metabolism.

What happens when we eat fats? While a very similar thing when we eat sugars, just different players are involved. After we digest the fats in our small intestine, we packaged it as triglycerides inside chylomicrons. And we ship this throughout our body to be used as energy, cellular membrane repair, hormones, and yes -> replenishing your fatty energy reservoirs! Unlike sugars, which get converted to glucose then glycogen then (depending on hormones) either into amino acids or fatty acids (for most people it will be fatty acids) which then top off your fat reserves. The moral of the story? Dietary fats replenish your fat stores quicker than carbohydrates (assuming equal calories!) because there is one pathway they don't need to go through to enter your fatty tissues.

Finally, just as an aside on chylomicrons. We can call them by another name, ultra low-density lipoproteins or ULDL. As fat is removed from ULDL and given to your cells, it becomes more and more dense, becoming VLDL then LDL. Most people here know what LDL is (though there is no such thing as bad cholesterol !).

HDL just recycles the LDL by taking it back to the liver.

Old 08-10-2023, 01:58 PM

people who have been on many diets say it ruined their metabolism for a long time. there is even a thread about this in the diet and weight loss forum called starvation mode. I am wondering if restricting too much can make it hard to lose weight again in the long run or if that is a myth. you know those yo yo diets that some are on. I think some topics nobody knows about and there are a lot of theories in diet and nutrition.

for the most part, you do need to eat less but the right foods. The whole calorie thing is too complex to calculate. it's just a matter of eating less. there are some that eat 3 times a day and lose weight. The type of foods matter the most. If you eat more meals its common sense you are going to eat more food. as one poster said I was not eating enough meals which would make me eat even more food. some say the fasting approach works because by doing it causes you to eat less. I was never a small portion person and that just makes you hungrier than not eating at all.

Old 08-10-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
people who have been on many diets say it ruined their metabolism for a long time. there is even a thread about this in the diet and weight loss forum called starvation mode. I am wondering if restricting too much can make it hard to lose weight again in the long run or if that is a myth. you know those yo yo diets that some are on. I think some topics nobody knows about and there are a lot of theories in diet and nutrition.

for the most part, you do need to eat less but the right foods. The whole calorie thing is too complex to calculate. it's just a matter of eating less. there are some that eat 3 times a day and lose weight. The type of foods matter the most. If you eat more meals its common sense you are going to eat more food. as one poster said I was not eating enough meals which would make me eat even more food. some say the fasting approach works because by doing it causes you to eat less. I was never a small portion person and that just makes you hungrier than not eating at all.
You should never restrict calories so that you lose more than 0.5-1% of weight every week. That will ruin your metabolism, probably not sustainable for that individual, so it leads to yo-yo dieting.

I always say, begin cutting calories by small amounts, weigh yourself everyday, take the average, and see what's happening (trends) per week. If no weight is lost, cut more, rinse and repeat. But never try to get on the perfect diet right away, gradually transform your poor diet into the perfect one over months if not years.

You can often continue the same volume of food but eat less calories. You should pick from foods that are low (or no) calorie substitutes to your favorite meals. Where I see people make mistakes are: salad dressings (they switch to salads, but overload it high calorie dressings and nuts), cooking oils (these calories add up quick), snacking (most don't properly track their snacks or just how caloric their snacks are), drinking your calories (that includes alcohol, always count the calories in your alcoholic beverage even if you're only drinking socially).

Last edited by WaikikiWaves; 08-10-2023 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-10-2023, 08:46 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:

I think you're on the right track.
About 2 years ago we quit buying bread. Quit eating grains, rice, potatoes, that kind of stuff. It was a culture shock! I remember wondering just how the hell I was going to eat breakfast or lunch.... But I learned.
I still lose about a pound a month, but by now my eating habits are so ingrained I don't even know how I'm doing it.
From 227 to 185. And counting. Slowly.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think you're on the right track.
About 2 years ago we quit buying bread. Quit eating grains, rice, potatoes, that kind of stuff. It was a culture shock! I remember wondering just how the hell I was going to eat breakfast or lunch.... But I learned.
I still lose about a pound a month, but by now my eating habits are so ingrained I don't even know how I'm doing it.
From 227 to 185. And counting. Slowly.

ya I am on strict meat diet and I don't know how I am doing it. I love rice I might cheat every once in awhile with it. i do get the occasional craving I was craving sweets the other day but I did not cave in. I eat potatoes now once a week and the weird thing is when I eat meat I don't get tired. I ate potatoes and felt sleepy like it was something I shouldn't eat.

I don't eat breakfast I have not for over 25 years. I am just not hungry when waking up.

Id love to get to 185 again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss