Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 07:04 PM

3,371 posts, read 1,538,475 times

Advertisements

I have struggled to lose weight. there are times when I have lost 40 pounds. it's been awhile since I have lost enough weight so I went down a shirt size and pant size. i normally don't eat until 1 pm every day so I decided to try fasting with a keto diet where I eat only one meal a day. it was mostly meat with a handful of vegetables. well today I felt like crap and I caved and ate carbs. some experts say carbs are the enemy some say fat is but people have lost 100 pounds on the carnivore diet and some say it does not matter what you eat only that you are burning more calories you are taking in. I might try and go back to what I was doing. I have lost a lot of weight just by eating rice and pasta at one point. I have lost weight fasting before. I have given up alcohol for 2 months 3 times and no weight loss. I workout with kettlebells. i started going back to steady state cardio with the elliptical but it's all too early to tell what's going to work. you really need a month to see if what you are doing is going to work.

I know I have a fatty liver and losing weight can be more difficult. I'm wondering what people's opinions are on these diets. some say don't do too strict a diet and some say a strict diet is the exact prescription you might need. I heard in the begging of doing keto or low carb you can feel crappy. I did not start feeling crappy until today. I walk at least 40 minutes a day. I was only eating 2 times a day before but big meals.

It's fascinating how some can say carbohydrates are the enemy and sugar and some say no you need carbs. some have claimed to be on keto or carnivore they have mental clarity well I got terrible sleep last night and today I have terrible clarity. I do know it takes at least a month to know if what you are doing is working. I even heard someone claim the obesity epidemic is not caused by sugar. our sugar intake has dramatically increased along with a new chemical high fructose corn syrup. i try to stay away from that any chance I can. its when we dropped our fat intake we started eating more carbs and sugars and people got fatter. I was eating fatty steaks and I felt a little sick after. my body is not used to eating that everyday. i bought some lean meat like ground turkey to switch it up even though if you are low carb you are supposed to be high fat.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 06-29-2023 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 12:02 AM

I am not lactose intolerant but I think dairy slows down fat loss except for butter. I'll have to go back to drink coffee black which is ok but I still enjoy light cream or milk in a latte with one sugar. I heard heavy cream is ok but nothing on light cream. I was never one for a lot of sugar in coffee but dairy can hinder fat loss. they say heavy cream is ok but nothing is talked about the question I want to know about light cream.

Old 06-30-2023, 04:47 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Just eat healthy, unprocessed foods, nutritious foods as much as possible. Concentrate on this.

Old 06-30-2023, 06:41 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Your body requires fats, carbs, and protein to function. The proportions of those nutrients and what works best for your body is going to be individual to you, especially if you have a medical condition, but none of them are inherently bad or "the enemy."

Old 06-30-2023, 07:34 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
i normally don't eat until 1 pm every day so I decided to try fasting with a keto diet where I eat only one meal a day. it was mostly meat with a handful of vegetables. well today I felt like crap and I caved and ate carbs. some experts say carbs are the enemy some say fat is but people have lost 100 pounds on the carnivore diet and some say it does not matter what you eat only that you are burning more calories you are taking in.

I know I have a fatty liver
You have fatty liver disease. That is where you need to focus your dietary needs and restrictions.

DO NOT EAT:
Red meat will kill you. Eliminate it entirely from your diet. No alcohol. No "added" sugars to anything. A piece of fruit that has its own natural sugar content is fine. A cinnamon bun is not fine.
Fried foods - a few french fries might be okay a couple times a week. But an entire side of fries, or fried buffalo wings, or breaded fried fish - not okay, at all.
Keep "added" salt to a minimum.
White bread, rice, pasta. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

ENJOY:
Shellfish/other fish, poultry, pork, baked, broiled, boiled, grilled. All good in moderation.
Fresh uncooked veggies - all good.
Steamed, broiled, grilled, boiled veggies - all good.
Fruits - especially berries of all kinds - good.
Sourdough or wheat or multi-grain or even rye bread - small amounts (a slice every day if you enjoy it) = good.
Nuts, legumes, beans - good in moderation.

Treat your fatty liver disease with your diet, and the pounds will come off naturally - and you'll reduce your risk of dying from organ failure.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
Just eat healthy, unprocessed foods, nutritious foods as much as possible. Concentrate on this.
ya I might try this. meat vegetables and potatoes and nothing in a box or a bag.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You have fatty liver disease. That is where you need to focus your dietary needs and restrictions.

DO NOT EAT:
Red meat will kill you. Eliminate it entirely from your diet. No alcohol. No "added" sugars to anything. A piece of fruit that has its own natural sugar content is fine. A cinnamon bun is not fine.
Fried foods - a few french fries might be okay a couple times a week. But an entire side of fries, or fried buffalo wings, or breaded fried fish - not okay, at all.
Keep "added" salt to a minimum.
White bread, rice, pasta. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

ENJOY:
Shellfish/other fish, poultry, pork, baked, broiled, boiled, grilled. All good in moderation.
Fresh uncooked veggies - all good.
Steamed, broiled, grilled, boiled veggies - all good.
Fruits - especially berries of all kinds - good.
Sourdough or wheat or multi-grain or even rye bread - small amounts (a slice every day if you enjoy it) = good.
Nuts, legumes, beans - good in moderation.

Treat your fatty liver disease with your diet, and the pounds will come off naturally - and you'll reduce your risk of dying from organ failure.
I am not one for eating fried foods. I was eating chicken thighs before sometimes rice. the processed foods I was eating was French bread pizza and I ate pasta. I don't eat bread unless it's a sandwich. wheat bread is not any healthier than white bread. keeping grains to a minimum is good. I eat zero fruit but the only fruit I do like is grapefruit and oranges. Pork is really boring and does not have a lot of taste unless it has a really good sauce on it. I hate beans. before this keto try I was only eating a steak maybe once a weak. I was eating chicken wings. mexican food is my favorite so when I go out to eat I go for Mexican. I also love Indian food. I love rice. when trying keto the only food I was craving was rice.

if someone with fatty liver loses weight they will reduce the fat around the liver I believe. I do not believe red meat will kill you unless that is only what you are eating. so if a diet can help make someone like me lose weight then it will help the fat around my liver. obviously, sugar and processed foods are not good.

it was not until i stopped alcohol for 2 months that i started eating sweets. i would put down a bag of recess peanut butter cups a couple of times a week.

I am fat but I am not super fat. I am 5"10 227 pounds. Ill be happy if I can get down to 200 pounds. i have a bit of muscle on me as I have always stayed active.

Ya I know I should not drink any alcohol or have sugars. I wish fish did not have so much mercury and other chemicals. if you buy wild you avoid a lot of that.

My question is no matter how you lose weight wouldn't it reduce the fat around a liver if a good amount of weight is lost? just like when someone loses weight their cholesterol goes down.
If you lose weight eating meat then your cholesterol will still go down. I think there is too much attacking fat. processed fatty foods are bad , fried fatty foods are bad but natural fatty foods are good. I dont believe eating fat will make you fat and some think it will help you burn fat.

Salt is very necessary especially if you are working out like myself. If someone does keto they need to take in more salt and electrolytes.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:38 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
You should be asking your doctor these questions, or find a dietician who specializes in fatty liver disease, not asking a bunch of strangers on the internet or relying on YouTube videos.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You should be asking your doctor these questions, or find a dietician who specializes in fatty liver disease, not a bunch of strangers on the internet.
Doctors suck with nutrition. they literally get 2 hours of nutrition. They are good at treating disease but know almost nothing about diet and believe cholesterol is bad. Ya I might have to sift through the info and make up my own mind. sometimes random people might know. when I get the right answer sometimes I know. I think eating foods that are natural takes care of most of people's problems. when people over eat its the fried or processed foods they overeat or the sweets.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:03 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post

I am fat but I am not super fat. I am 5"10 227 pounds. Ill be happy if I can get down to 200 pounds. i have a bit of muscle on me as I have always stayed active.
I'm also 5'10", so I know the recommendation is we should weigh between 150 and 170 lbs. I haven't been that low in 30 years, but have been gradually losing weight by cutting carbs and doing IF.

I focus on eating whole foods, mostly veggies and protein. I don't eat red meat, so eggs, poultry, and seafood are my jam.

Recent surgery led me to a nutrition consult, so I've added whey protein powder to my diet while I heal. It tastes like malted milk, yum. I'm afraid to check the sugar content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss