Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 02:31 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
That is an annoying height. You can’t say "six and a half", nor "six foot a half". Interesting that the Dutch are so tall. Others from northern Europe as well. A guy from Finland came to a talk at a technical conference I was at, and he was huge, must have been 6'8". A German guy I used to work with was also super tall, easily the tallest one in the company, and we had a few tall guys working there.
Yes, I am one of seven siblings. I am the tallest of the four females, the shortest being 5'7". My brothers ranged (one is deceased) from 6'2" to 6'5". My uncles, my mother's brothers, were 6'7" and 6'8". My mom was 5'11", but by the time she died at 91, she had shrunk to 5'9". My father was adjustable (really 5'10", lost both lower legs/feet in WWII, and when they fitted him for his prosthetic legs he asked to be six feet tall).

Old 02-19-2024, 02:32 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I am one of seven siblings. I am the tallest of the four females, the shortest being 5'7". My brothers ranged (one is deceased) from 6'2" to 6'5". My uncles, my mother's brothers, were 6'7" and 6'8". My mom was 5'11", but by the time she died at 91, she had shrunk to 5'9". My father was adjustable (really 5'10", lost both lower legs/feet in WWII, and when they fitted him for his prosthetic legs he asked to be six feet tall).
An amazing story! I guess I would ask for that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
That makes sense, I guess. Cheese and meat-high protein.

I grew up eating a lot of both since my father was an avid hunter of moose and deer.

Now that I'm an older man at 6'5", meat and cheese play practically no part of my diet.

Yes, always being around shorter people can be a problem. For instance, this can contribute to poor posture.

But we digress... Fast food tastes awful! How's that for being judgmental?
Hahaha. I limit my meat and cheese these days, too! But the lines on what's "fast food" is becoming blurred now. I am visiting my daughter, who was indulging in dairy for a while but has gone back to plant-based, and we ordered some tasty vegan Indian food the other night via Uber Eats or Doordash, forget which. Got to us really fast!

The other thing with we too-tallers that a lot of people don't seem to mention is that we often miss conversations. When everyone else is 5'4" and speaking to one another and their mouths are eight inches below my ears, I don't always catch everything that is said. Or maybe I'm losing my hearing and that's why I could never understand half of what they said at a fast-food drive-through. We can communicate with the space shuttle, but we get "Urmph glurg wizzbmf" when we order something and have to hope that what we wanted will be in the bag when we get to the little window.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
An amazing story! I guess I would ask for that, too.
Worked out when he later met my naturally taller mother and had seven giant kids. We had a Burger King in town, not a McDonald's. My parents were not prone to eating food that wasn't cooked at home because they were both Depression kids and frugal, but every so often over time we'd get some BK. Now I can't stand it. Last time I got a double cheeseburger and fries from BK, probably 12 years ago, it took a couple of days to work through my digestive system and I told myself, "There is no reason for you to eat that ever again."

I did, however, have an Impossible Burger Whopper from a BK at highway travel plaza while traveling a few years ago, and it wasn't bad.

Old 02-19-2024, 03:25 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Hahaha. I limit my meat and cheese these days, too! But the lines on what's "fast food" is becoming blurred now. I am visiting my daughter, who was indulging in dairy for a while but has gone back to plant-based, and we ordered some tasty vegan Indian food the other night via Uber Eats or Doordash, forget which. Got to us really fast!

The other thing with we too-tallers that a lot of people don't seem to mention is that we often miss conversations. When everyone else is 5'4" and speaking to one another and their mouths are eight inches below my ears, I don't always catch everything that is said. Or maybe I'm losing my hearing and that's why I could never understand half of what they said at a fast-food drive-through. We can communicate with the space shuttle, but we get "Urmph glurg wizzbmf" when we order something and have to hope that what we wanted will be in the bag when we get to the little window.
I have not too much of a problem with conversations but clothes. A short summer dress turns into an extra long t-shirt when I am in it. Occasionally I luck out at Kohl's of all places with PJs whose pants are not flood level.
Mumsy had four sisters who made it to adulthood. She got all the height. So did her mother.
Both of us cook. Both of us enjoy wine. At a US 16 some consider me obese. It has not changed in 20 years. My blood work is too good to be true and I am comfortable in my skin. Going to a new physician just because it is time always brings up the question - what medication are you on. Biotin is it. Merlot is good for my nerves:>)

Old 02-20-2024, 01:15 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
...The other thing with we too-tallers that a lot of people don't seem to mention is that we often miss conversations. When everyone else is 5'4" and speaking to one another and their mouths are eight inches below my ears, I don't always catch everything that is said. Or maybe I'm losing my hearing...
Ha! I hadn't considered this before. Love it, yet another excuse in the arsenal.

Unfortunately, in my case there's no question the primary problem is with my auditory sense.

Old 02-20-2024, 03:42 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:

No such thing as too tall! I was so disappointed I missed 6' by just an inch.

I used to work near Chinatown in San Francisco; practically everyone at the bus stop was a foot shorter than me. On rainy days I had to dodge around their umbrellas, or risk getting my eyes poked out!

Old 02-21-2024, 03:29 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
I'm 6'1" (a guy). I just grab the umbrellas and move them away from my face.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
But getting back to the topic...

Wendy's Biggie Bag has got to be one of the best values out there. For $5, a junior bacon cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, fries, a drink and, if you've bought the $3 key fob, a free junior Frosty with every order for the whole year; just the thing to top it off.

Ate it and lived to tell the tale.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:16 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But getting back to the topic...

Wendy's Biggie Bag has got to be one of the best values out there. For $5, a junior bacon cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, fries, a drink and, if you've bought the $3 key fob, a free junior Frosty with every order for the whole year; just the thing to top it off.

Ate it and lived to tell the tale.
What happened to the desperate need to loose weight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss