Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2023, 08:11 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Guess it depends on what one views as "healthy food" and a balanced diet.

Millions of Asian folks live on stir fried veggies plus a bit of chicken and/or tofu over rice (pick brown rice for more nutrition), noodles (many varieties including rice noodles) or other whole grains such as bulgur, millet. barley, quinoa....

And these folks have much less obesity, heart disease and high blood pressure, diabetes...

The two of us eat this way 'cause it's easy to fix, not expensive, and we want to stay healthy.

The S.A.D. (standard American diet) is one of the least healthy diets in the world...

It's good to consider other options...we didn't grow up eating this way but we made a switch. We're not Asian...

There is more too it than simple menu choices...it's really a holistic matter of lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2023, 08:19 PM

1,196 posts, read 529,793 times
OP: How do you feel about Pink Slime?

Fast food is gross, not because of "empty calories," but because the ingredients are gross.

I recently read an article on Taco Bell that said their "meat" only contains 37% (plus or minus) meat - the rest is filler - and they listed the ingredients and they are not nutritious or even decent for consumption.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:39 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
it's not a matter of "shaming" or being "demonized" and "judgmental."

it's a matter of known adverse side effects.
maybe not immediately but over time yes.
how old are you?
when someone is in their teens and 20s and 30s and even early 40s they can pretty much eat anything and abuse their bodies hither and yon.

but it does catch up with a person.
when a person becomes more educated and more concerned about their health and well being, they often change the way they eat, and also other factors in their lifestyle too (i.e. stop smoking, drinking; and increase exercise)

Old 09-02-2023, 08:42 PM

623 posts, read 311,376 times
Don't know much about the crowd you hang out with, but I don't really understand any comments at all on the food you're eating unless you're eating it in front of them. Even then, the comments, while understandable, are improper. They are probably best responded to with inquiries about why the commenter prefers to ***** ***** ******* ** ****** rather than engage in more conventional activities.

Assuming good health, I don't see anything at all wrong with your apparent diet. The main danger of "fast food" is that some rely solely on that while ignoring certain other proper foods. It can also lead to excessive caloric intake. It sounds like you are simply using fast food as a convenient source of fat and protein in four or five (out of 21?) meals a week.

If you're not having a problem with salt or fat or blood sugar level, I wouldn't sweat it. But practices those responses!

Old 09-02-2023, 08:53 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,494,968 times
I eat burgers (skip the fries) fairly regularly. Like several times a week. I have around 15% body fat. I exercise, around 2 hours a day, which allows me to eat like this even in my older age. My cholesterol numbers are all normal. If I go for a period where I cannot exercise this much (like on vacation**), I cut out all the high calorie dense foods like burgers. Calories in/calories out. There is nothing intrinsically unhealthy about a burger from some fast food joint.

** While at resorts, I only eat fruit, veggies, and some meat. All breads, sweets I eliminate entirely. I still try to exercise on vacation, but so to not get my SO angry, I keep it to under 1 hour.

Old 09-04-2023, 06:02 AM

88,526 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Agree completely. Have you ever looked into what your local restaurant puts into their foods. Who knows what is in it. There are no standards.
Yes, when my daughter first realized she had gluten sensitivity, we went to a favorite restaurant that had started producing a menu of gluten-free items. Mashed potatoes (potatoes, butter, milk) should have been on it, but they weren't. I asked the server why, and he said, "Oh, there's flour in them."

Flour in mashed potatoes? Yes, the server told me. Apparently that's a common restaurant trick to make them seem smoother or something.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:20 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, when my daughter first realized she had gluten sensitivity, we went to a favorite restaurant that had started producing a menu of gluten-free items. Mashed potatoes (potatoes, butter, milk) should have been on it, but they weren't. I asked the server why, and he said, "Oh, there's flour in them."

Flour in mashed potatoes? Yes, the server told me. Apparently that's a common restaurant trick to make them seem smoother or something.
IHOP also puts wheat pancake batter in their egg dishes. Makes them more fluffy.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:23 AM

2,024 posts, read 981,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
When you pay 100% of the costs of your healthcare, you can do whatever you want.

So long as I am footing the bill for your healthcare, my house, my rules. Get over it.
Oh please.

Old 09-04-2023, 12:32 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
When you pay 100% of the costs of your healthcare, you can do whatever you want.

So long as I am footing the bill for your healthcare, my house, my rules. Get over it.
Since you're probably not paying "100% of the costs of your healthcare," will you be following my rules?

Old 09-04-2023, 12:49 PM

88,526 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
IHOP also puts wheat pancake batter in their egg dishes. Makes them more fluffy.
The horror. Have not been to an IHOP in years, though. Not a big pancake fan, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss