Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2023, 12:56 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

I am on the road today, and Google Maps is rerouting me all over the place.

Needed a washroom, uh, restroom and some food and a Burger King appeared. Haven't had BK in a looong time, but I got the Big Fish sandwich. No fries (I can easily live without them) and an unsweetened iced tea, which, by the way, they do not yet seem to have heard of in Canada, which I just left after a three-week visit.

It's kind of a waste of money because they water the tea down so much now, but I drink mostly water, no soda, no sweet drinks, so it's a change.

Hey, listen, my grandmother loved her BK Big Fish sandwiches and lived to be 94! She didn't ever smoke or drink, though, so I have no illusions about following Nana that far. Damage was done in my younger days.

It hit the spot, though. Now back to the road...

Oh, yeah, I started Medicare last month, so if the Big Fish sandwich harms me, Mircea WILL have to pay.

Old 09-04-2023, 01:13 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Just needed to ask, why does this bother you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Thoughts?" ask your healthcare provider for her/his thoughts about your diet of fast food.
You introduced the subject, so gemstone1 was giving you his/her thoughts. If this is bothering you, you should address to the people who are bringing it to your attention.

Perhaps, the people aren't "shaming" you, but are concerned that you may be ignorant of what those foods will overtime do to your body. Maybe they care about you.

Having a 30" waist really doesn't mean anything when it comes to health, as there is more issues with fast food than obesity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2762152/ Maybe they care about you and are aware of the dangers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 03:01 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
I'll just skip to the reply window. I read this post earlier and it occurs to me to wonder "WHO CARES"?
It's your body. Feed it what you want and your health will reflect what you feed it. Much like the dog or the horse. Why worry about what others think?
I rarely touch the crap but then I try to avoid chemicals and unknowns in my food. My exception is Little Caesars.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:03 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Anyone can find something healthy to eat at any fast food place, if they want to.
^^^^This

We rarely go to Chic-Fil-A but when we do, we get salads that have lots of veggies and some pieces of chicken. I always pick a lower calorie dressing to put on the salad.

On very rare occasions, we both get a taste for McD's. It's been quite a while since we've been to one but what we would get is one double cheeseburger meal. Since it contained 2 double cheeseburgers, we each would eat one and share the one order of fries and share the 1 soda.

Since Raising Cane's came to town, we've been there a couple of times. It's a cheap dinner and since we rarely eat there we figure it's okay

My real weakness is for...Jack-in-the-Box's tacos. They haven't been in our area for years so that's a good thing. Last time we were in AZ, we took 2 of our grandkids with us for a dinner there. Of course, my husband and I got the tacos

All that said, I agree---everything in moderation. And, yes, in my younger days I ate more fast food in large part it was for not having the money for better meals when eating out.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:28 PM

10,721 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I’ve never had Japanese or Indian food. Chinese maybe once every few years and it takes weeks to work out of my system. I don’t do Starbucks or any coffees. If I drink soda it’s the real sugar kind. I’ve had the Dunkin’ drinks in the past but they have tons of sugar and calories.

You’re lucky you get real chicken from McDonald’s! I think the US does a disservice to its citizens with food regulations.

Sounds like you’re dealing with the type who says “I’ll take a donut and a Diet Coke”
Get out of here with that nonsense. McDonald’s chicken nuggets and sandwiches are real chicken.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:39 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Get out of here with that nonsense. McDonald’s chicken nuggets and sandwiches are real chicken.
The main problem with McDonald's chicken nuggets (and pretty much all other fried fast food) is the processed vegetable oil they're fried in.

Old 09-04-2023, 06:44 PM

3,109 posts, read 1,005,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The main problem with McDonald's chicken nuggets (and pretty much all other fried fast food) is the processed vegetable oil they're fried in.
In canola oil. And this oil could cause excessive inflammation in the body resulting in disrupted hormones.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:35 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
In canola oil. And this oil could cause excessive inflammation in the body resulting in disrupted hormones.
The inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids in canola oil displace the anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids that the body needs...and it takes a long, long time to displace the omega 6 in the body again with omega 3.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:15 PM

25,560 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yeah. I swore off chicken for the most part and doubt I will ever eat a nugget again.
I was eating one a few weeks ago and something clicked - that's it! This is the last one. Ever.

We threw away all the "vegetable" oils and butter substitutes and so forth in our house. We use beef tallow (easy to make yourself) lard (cheap) or butter (good for you).
But what about peanut oil?......... I use it to deep fry fish a few times a year. Anyone got any information/opinions about peanut oil?

Old 09-04-2023, 11:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Just for reference I have a 30 waist and don’t have a belly. I do short, light workouts with weights a couple times a week and go for walks occasionally on weekends when I can. I also eat fast food like burgers, fried chicken, pizza around 4 or 5 times a week.

I like these foods but people sometimes at work and at gatherings make comments about me eating McDonalds, Harvey’s etc like “how can you eat that crap?” And “it’s just empty calories”. So what? If someone eats lots of vegetables and protein as well I don’t see why it can’t be part of a balanced diet. It tastes good, is fast so I don’t have to pack a lunch always, and I don’t see how it’s any worse than someone eating sugary frozen yoghurt or frozen drinks from Starbucks, which many of my colleagues do.

My point is, I wish society wouldn’t shame people so much for the kinds of foods they like. You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
Are you complaining about your coworkers being rude to you? Or are you disagreeing that a diet having a lot of fast food is bad for health?

People shouldn't criticize other people's food choices (unless it's close friend or family who is concerned). But it is a fact that frequent eating of fast food leads to bad health.

Watch the short documentary "Supersize Me." It follows the numbers on a man who eats nothing but fast food for a certain length of time. A doctor periodically examines him, takes his bp, weight, cholesterol, etc. He comments how he feels as he goes along. It's eye opening. https://youtu.be/zKQGAv8gtBA?si=8xDMpaf186U-nqEs

Start looking up nutritional info on certain fast foods (calories, fat grams, protein, sodium), then compare with healthier options.

Nothing brings a fact home like looking at the numbers. But your coworkers shouldn't criticize your choices. It's rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss