Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 01:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 721,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, my carb is potatoes. Pasta I can take or leave. Same with rice. I do love bread, but I have learned to say no. Potatoes...ah, mashed potatoes are my favorite food on the planet.
Yes, I do love potatoes and if faced with a big bowl of mashed with butter and gravy I will close myself off, ignore all of my head warnings and devour it all.

Bread is easy and a quick grab which is what causes my dilemma. Potatoes have to be prepared and it takes time so I can pass it up. Bread, and good bread can be had rather quickly. Sadly, I literally steer clear of the bakery section in my grocery store. Kind of nuts when you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 01:14 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Flour and sugar, when I did low carb

Cheese, when I was counting calories.

Old 10-08-2023, 07:23 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Dairy. Cheese, milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, ice cream. Whether or not it is fat-free or regular fat doesn't matter. Whatever is in it, sets up my digestive system to hold on to the calories of everything else I eat that day. I'm not lactose intolerant, but there is an enzyme in cheese that I'm sensitive to. Unfortunately, I can't imagine anything else I find as tasty when I'm in the mood for something savory AND tangy AND salty all at the same time. Bleu, feta, gorganzola, swiss, smoked gouda, cheddar.

For sweet things, who could resist coconut ice cream with bits of shredded coconut coated with chocolate, combined with dark fudge and dulce de leche ripples? Fortunately I can have just one gallon of it once every few months and not crave it when it's not in the house. But that gallon goes quick when I DO have it.

Old 10-08-2023, 07:52 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
Yes, I do love potatoes and if faced with a big bowl of mashed with butter and gravy I will close myself off, ignore all of my head warnings and devour it all.

Bread is easy and a quick grab which is what causes my dilemma. Potatoes have to be prepared and it takes time so I can pass it up. Bread, and good bread can be had rather quickly. Sadly, I literally steer clear of the bakery section in my grocery store. Kind of nuts when you think about it.
Another problem with bread and breadlike foods is that they are so easy and so transportable. When I worked full-time in the city, I'd have coffee at home in the morning while getting ready, but it was too early to eat breakfast, plus I was under pressure to catch a train on time, and by the time I got to work an hour and a half or so later, I was hungry. There were coffee carts everywhere on the streets at that time of day, so on the walk to the office I would just grab coffee with a buttered roll or a bagel with cream cheese or a corn muffin and eat that at my desk as I started my day. Easy, cheap, don't have to cook it, and bam. Carb and calorie city.

Old 10-08-2023, 10:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Carbs, always carbs for me. The older I get the more I need to cut. Started off cutting sweet drinks and desserts, then breads, then rice, beans and pasta, then starchy vegetables.

For me, I do best on meats, eggs and non-starchy vegetables with good fats. Every time I think I can go back to eating more carbs I pay the price of weight gain & cravings. It's better just to keep it simple and avoid them.

Old 10-08-2023, 02:15 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Carbs, always carbs for me. The older I get the more I need to cut. Started off cutting sweet drinks and desserts, then breads, then rice, beans and pasta, then starchy vegetables.

For me, I do best on meats, eggs and non-starchy vegetables with good fats. Every time I think I can go back to eating more carbs I pay the price of weight gain & cravings. It's better just to keep it simple and avoid them.
I know what you mean. In another few years, I’ll be down to 2 outfits and 4 foods. LOL Too bad they don’t make human kibble.

Old 10-08-2023, 04:24 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Snacking on sweets, or just "boredom eating."

Food journals are worth doing. Most people don't realize the amount of "grazing" they do if they're trying to count calories.
I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult, and something really mindblowing for me was the concept of eating for novelty or for stimulation, which is common with ADHD. Once I knew that was an issue, and it was less a problem with my own willpower or discipline, I was able to recognize when that is happening and often can redirect the need for dopamine to something less caloric.

Old 10-08-2023, 07:42 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
What was your biggest culprit?
The clock.
The darned clock! After dinner I would find myself being pulled inexorably toward the refrigerator or cupboard. It didn't happen any other time of the day, but come 7-8PM that invisible hand would reach out and pluck me from the couch and make me go looking.
The cure came in the form of high protein meals for dinner.

Also I recognized I was not eating real food for breakfast. A switch to pork chop and egg stopped the urge to snack during the day.

Results?.... From 227 to 184. Pant size from 37 to 34. Took a couple of years.

Onward and upward.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:55 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Also I recognized I was not eating real food for breakfast. A switch to pork chop and egg stopped the urge to snack during the day.
A lot of what I've read has said that this is very common. Many people who are trying to lose weight actually cut too many calories and don't eat balanced meals, so by the end of the day when they're tired and are looking for comfort, they inhale the snack cabinet. When they start off their day eating more balanced meals (carbs, protein, and healthy fats) they feel satisfied and make better eating choices throughout the day.

Old 10-13-2023, 04:15 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
My solid food diet is easily a B+ (Pescatarian & very few processed foods), but my culprit is not food, but alcohol.

My nighly Martini's is what keeps me from my target weight of 180...I'm 6' tall, medium build.

I avoid Beer, Wine, & sugary sweet cocktails, but Martini's are my downfall.

When my pants start fitting tight, I cut out the Martini's for a week, and voila! Pants fit again, so I've isolated my culprit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss