Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 12:41 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Once again, we hear from 1985.
That's the tired old "calories in/calories out" argument, with a glaze of fat blaming.

No, some foods are bad for you, and should be avoided.
Sugar, fake sugar, wheat, seed oils are hard on the body.

Eat fresh whole foods, not low calorie substitutes. Eat meat and veggies and fat.
Oh no, wheat and sugar and seed oils, so very bad for you

Maybe you should want to hear from '1985', after all, people were thinner back then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 02:56 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Starchy/sugary carbs.

Old 12-06-2023, 11:47 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Just curious here. What was the one or two things that really made a difference in your diet/weight when you cut out either completely or close to it?
Cutting out Sugars and Carbs. I'm doing Carnivore Diet for 11 weeks now and have lost 43 pounds without even going to the gym. I hate the treadmill, and this diet has shown me how to lose the weight without ever having to get on a damn treadmill again.

Old 12-11-2023, 06:21 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, my carb is potatoes. Pasta I can take or leave. Same with rice. I do love bread, but I have learned to say no. Potatoes...ah, mashed potatoes are my favorite food on the planet.
I’m certain that the mountains in Heaven are made of mashed potatoes with streams of gravy flowing through the valleys. LOL

BTW, I notice the apostrophes as well. : D

My culprit is bread, sweets and potatoes (not necessarily in that order). I control them but not buying them
(ummm . . . often).

Old 12-21-2023, 08:11 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Cutting out Sugars and Carbs. I'm doing Carnivore Diet for 11 weeks now and have lost 43 pounds without even going to the gym. I hate the treadmill, and this diet has shown me how to lose the weight without ever having to get on a damn treadmill again.
You're a hero. Or heroine. Whatever.

Yeah. Treadmill is a bore. I hear you.
But (without knowing you age and all) consider weight training in some form or another. The term skinny-fat is being tossed around, and is the term "Skinny Outside, Fat Inside". They are both real terms and speaking as one who is closer to 80 than 70, keeping those muscles in trim is really important.
BOL!

Old 12-21-2023, 08:15 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I’m certain that the mountains in Heaven are made of mashed potatoes with streams of gravy flowing through the valleys. LOL

BTW, I notice the apostrophes as well. : D

My culprit is bread, sweets and potatoes (not necessarily in that order). I control them but not buying them
(ummm . . . often).
It's all in the setup, isn't it?.... I mean, you set yourself up for success by not buying those things. Good move!

Once in a while I decide to have a "potato night". It doesn't hurt anything, I don't think. I go to the store and get a BIG potato. Then I take it home a bake it and cover that sucker with every damn thing I ever wanted
Sure is good, once in a while. But I never buy bread.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:34 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
I just had Potato night Tuesday.

Threw it in the oven for 2 hours. (I LOVE ‘em hard. LOL. The skins, I mean . . . oh, never mind. LOL). Slathered it with butter, salt and pepper.

It’s better than dessert some days. (Still talking about potatoes, here.)

Old 12-21-2023, 01:41 PM

Hi Listener2307! Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

I am, in fact, doing weight training along with the diet. I am focusing mostly on my upper body right now, but plan to start training my lower body once I lose more weight. I just cant do squats or lunges pain-free right now because I'm still too heavy, but I'll get there.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! I'm currently down 49 pounds and staying on track.

Old 12-21-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's all in the setup, isn't it?.... I mean, you set yourself up for success by not buying those things. Good move!

Once in a while I decide to have a "potato night". It doesn't hurt anything, I don't think. I go to the store and get a BIG potato. Then I take it home a bake it and cover that sucker with every damn thing I ever wanted
Hi Listener2307! Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

I am, in fact, doing weight training along with the diet. I am focusing mostly on my upper body right now, but plan to start training my lower body once I lose more weight. I just cant do squats or lunges pain-free right now because I'm still too heavy, but I'll get there.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! I'm currently down 49 pounds and staying on track.

Old 12-21-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

I'm surprised how easy it's been for me to give up rice. But even though I have had minimal bread, bread has been tough to give up!! More than anything, I've come to realize that bread is a big weakness for me, but I've been able to stay away from it for almost 3 months, except for the occasional minimal indulgence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss