Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 04:50 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
25% of that total, if lost, would get you down to 110. That's Keto/Fasting Country.
Maybe use the money for some cosmetics.
I did keto for two months. I did fasting - OMAD - for a year. Both religiously. Whatever I lost (mostly water weight) returned, and I believe the latter further slowed my metabolism.

But I'm not here to debate the pitfalls of dieting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 04:54 PM

3,139 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So if my BMI were 30 and not 28.5, I would "qualify" for "a letter of medical necessity" and therefore a prescription? Maybe I should go somewhere for exact measurements and not estimates.
Your doctor determines if this is the right drug for you and medical necessity. The prescription information states "may help" . . .
There are side effects and contraindications that your physician will take into account.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:02 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Some things you can spend the $2k on:

1 tube triple-antibiotic ointment. Don't get more than one, the first one's expiration date will run out before you ever use up half of the danged thing.
6 tubes of your favorite toothpaste
1 bottle of mouthwash
if you use an electric toothbrush, get a dozen replacement heads. If you don't use one, buy a good one. And get a dozen replacement heads.
A waterpik, if you don't have one.
OTC pain patches
a bottle of multivitamins
Flexible cloth bandages in every size - a few boxes of each.
Sunscreen
A lumbar support pillow from a medical supply store. You might not need it now. You'll need it eventually.

That'll be around $700 total for all of the above.

Now buy a duplicate of each. Donate it all to a charity clinic near you that treats homeless people.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Except that I CAN'T lose ten pounds (I'm also post-menopausal with a very slow metabolism). If I lose one or two, I gain it right back. This is where my body wants to be, apparently. If I completely stopped eating, I'm sure I'd eventually lose, but that ain't happenin'.

So you DO have to reach a certain level of fatness to get a prescription written, even if insurance isn't involved at all.

Is that what I'm hearing?

I'm like one number away from "obesity" and am probably not even 5'0" anymore, truth to tell (my chart just took my word for my height, and that was years ago). It seems like quibbling...
Yes, that's what you're hearing. The criteria for getting a prescription or not, has nothing to do with whether or not you have insurance. It has to do with your medical need.

You CAN lose 10 pounds. I'm post-menopausal and have a slow metabolism, and I'm 63 years old, and I weigh 160 soaking wet, and I'm only 5'2.5". If I lose 15 pounds I'll be happy. I can lose it. But I lack discipline, and obviously love my carbs more than I love wearing a size 12. If I was disciplined, I'd reduce my carbs by around 50% of what I consume now, and I'd dance every day instead of twice a week. And that weight would come right off.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Some things you can spend the $2k on:

1 tube triple-antibiotic ointment. Don't get more than one, the first one's expiration date will run out before you ever use up half of the danged thing.
6 tubes of your favorite toothpaste
1 bottle of mouthwash
if you use an electric toothbrush, get a dozen replacement heads. If you don't use one, buy a good one. And get a dozen replacement heads.
A waterpik, if you don't have one.
OTC pain patches
a bottle of multivitamins
Flexible cloth bandages in every size - a few boxes of each.
Sunscreen
A lumbar support pillow from a medical supply store. You might not need it now. You'll need it eventually.

That'll be around $700 total for all of the above.

Now buy a duplicate of each. Donate it all to a charity clinic near you that treats homeless people.
Your input is...noted.

Back to my weight: it IS central obesity (primarily around my midsection and organs), and I also have elevated triglycerides and LDL.

Could I get what I need from one of the weight loss clinics? Not sure if they're actual doctors or even use the actual drug or a knock-off.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Your input is...noted.

Back to my weight: it IS central obesity (primarily around my midsection and organs), and I also have elevated triglycerides and LDL.

Could I get what I need from one of the weight loss clinics? Not sure if they're actual doctors or even use the actual drug or a knock-off.
Maybe you should invest that extra $2000 in a therapist to find out why you are so obsessed about injecting drugs into your body to lose only around 10 pounds.

It's not healthy to want this so much.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Maybe you should invest that extra $2000 in a therapist to find out why you are so obsessed about injecting drugs into your body to lose only around 10 pounds.

It's not healthy to want this so much.
Twenty pounds of extra weight in the midsection isn't "healthy," either, and my efforts to lose it have failed.

If I could get $2k worth of therapy in one month, maybe I would. But I'm not letting $2k just go to waste.

Again, your input has been noted. Thanks for your opinion.

Anyone else have actual information?

Old 01-26-2024, 05:33 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Your input is...noted.

You should be able to. I did. At 5’2” and 166, I was heavier than you (but pear shaped). My technician tried running the rx through my insurance on the off chance it would go through, which it did not.

As I said in another thread, the 3 months of weekly injections was just enough to get give me a kick in the butt. It happens that the 35 lbs I lost was just about enough. I’d like to get down a little more, but I’m pleased where I am.

And I have learned portion control, which I thought I already knew, but whatever. I know when I overdo it foodwise, and adjust.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:36 PM

I'm confused... Your insurance denied it, but you used it for three months?

Old 01-26-2024, 05:44 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
I'm confused... Your insurance denied it, but you used it for three months?
Yes I paid for it, cash price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss