Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 08:06 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Cosmetic procedures (such as teeth whitening) are not covered.

I don't wear glasses.

And it's MEDICARE I'll soon be going on; not MEDICAID.

Interestingly: MEDICAID covers these weight loss drugs; MEDICARE does not.
Only SOME state Medicaid programs offer weight loss drugs, and only some of those offer Wegovny. Not all do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 10:39 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Only SOME state Medicaid programs offer weight loss drugs, and only some of those offer Wegovny. Not all do.
But ALL state Medicaid plans cover Ozempic, and many physicians WILL prescribe if off-label for weight loss.

You'll be happy to hear that I'd decided against this simply because, being given just a month's notice that my funds are expiring, I likely wouldn't have time to a) convince this doctor OR b) find another, c) schedule an appointment, d) secure two prescriptions in order to use up all the money, and e) also schedule and pay for follow-up appointments, which would be required. With my luck, I would end up with appointments/charges outstanding after the expiration date and no insurance funds AT ALL for them since I'd at that point be on Medicare, which doesn't cover this. It would've been nice to have more than a month's notice to work on this, but there you go...

The fact remains, however, that I DO qualify, and my doctor is apparently an idiot.

Last edited by otterhere; 01-29-2024 at 11:08 AM..

Old 01-29-2024, 11:36 AM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
And for what it’s worth, I used Ozempic or the generic equivalent, not Wegovy. Not sure what the difference is.
Ozempic comes as strong as 2.0 milligrams. Wegovy comes in strengths as high as 2.4 mg. Ozempic comes in one pen that gives you four injections. You just change the needle before each use. Wegovy pens contain a single dose only. I’m on Ozempic 2 milligrams, and I’m a diabetic.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:23 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
But ALL state Medicaid plans cover Ozempic, and many physicians WILL prescribe if off-label for weight loss.

You'll be happy to hear that I'd decided against this simply because, being given just a month's notice that my funds are expiring, I likely wouldn't have time to a) convince this doctor OR b) find another, c) schedule an appointment, d) secure two prescriptions in order to use up all the money, and e) also schedule and pay for follow-up appointments, which would be required. With my luck, I would end up with appointments/charges outstanding after the expiration date and no insurance funds AT ALL for them since I'd at that point be on Medicare, which doesn't cover this. It would've been nice to have more than a month's notice to work on this, but there you go...

The fact remains, however, that I DO qualify, and my doctor is apparently an idiot.
You dropped the ball on your tax free medical account so your physician is an idiot because he follows medical protocol not your whim.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:18 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Repeating: I DO qualify according to the prescribing protocol, so to say I don't is erroneous. If he doesn't WISH to prescribe it, that's a different issue, and he should just say so.

And I didn't "drop the ball"; I was JUST notified that the funds expire in a month. Had no idea; was never told.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:47 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Repeating: I DO qualify according to the prescribing protocol, so to say I don't is erroneous. If he doesn't WISH to prescribe it, that's a different issue, and he should just say so.

And I didn't "drop the ball"; I was JUST notified that the funds expire in a month. Had no idea; was never told.
It looks like that without other medically related factors bm 30 is required.

You receive the small print when you sign up for tax deferred savings in multiple forms.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:51 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Twenty pounds of extra weight in the midsection isn't "healthy," either, and my efforts to lose it have failed.

If I could get $2k worth of therapy in one month, maybe I would. But I'm not letting $2k just go to waste.

Again, your input has been noted. Thanks for your opinion.

Anyone else have actual information?
You have been given "actual information." You are just rejecting it.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:54 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It looks like that without other medically related factors bm 30 is required.

You receive the small print when you sign up for tax deferred savings in multiple forms.
The BM is a requirement but it's not the sole and only factor used to determine appropriateness. The OP is stuck on the Body Mass portion forgetting that a medical profession is not required to prescribe any drug just because a person meets the minimum guidelines. It clearly states the physician can also consider the patients' mental state when prescribing the drug or wait prescribing it if they think alternatives have not been fully explored or tried. For all we know, the doctor could have told the patient to lay off the chili dogs and get off dang couch for a month before they would consider using pharmaceuticals to lose a few pounds.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:21 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
Ozempic comes as strong as 2.0 milligrams. Wegovy comes in strengths as high as 2.4 mg. Ozempic comes in one pen that gives you four injections. You just change the needle before each use. Wegovy pens contain a single dose only. I’m on Ozempic 2 milligrams, and I’m a diabetic.
When I was on semaglutide (wegovy, ozempic), the tech I went to started with the lowest dosage and gradually brought me up to the max, 2mg. It was a compound, and was filled in a vial. I was given vials and syringes and I drew the amount myself.

This was strictly a weight loss tool, nothing to do with diabetes. I think the compound also had some supplement-type additive to help prevent bone loss, not sure exactly about that part.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:49 PM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
When I was on semaglutide (wegovy, ozempic), the tech I went to started with the lowest dosage and gradually brought me up to the max, 2mg. It was a compound, and was filled in a vial. I was given vials and syringes and I drew the amount myself.

This was strictly a weight loss tool, nothing to do with diabetes. I think the compound also had some supplement-type additive to help prevent bone loss, not sure exactly about that part.
Yes, these meds have to be titrated up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss