Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 03:36 AM

12,690 posts, read 9,867,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You're the poster with the scientific background I was hoping would come along, so I really appreciate your contributions here. I suspected these drugs did more than just reduce appetite, as we've been there, done that with dieting. I understand they also help with the addictive component of overeating and are being tried on other addictions, lessening the obsession with food or whatever it is (perhaps my "friend" who compulsively posts here should try it). Your explanation of inflammation was also helpful; when I told someone how my weight wouldn't budge, she said, "Sounds like inflammation." I had no idea what that meant - and I'm not sure she did, either! So thanks.
For what it's worth, I am not sure what she is referring to, either. Obesity commonly causes systemic inflammation, that I know, and it occurs through the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines by fat-swollen adipocytes - fat cells. Cytokines are signaling molecules, similar in many ways to hormones. Signaling molecules regulate molecular processes, and in this case, it's inflammation. Most obese people, if they get a blood test for C-reactive protein (CRP), a biomarker of systemic inflammation, will show elevated levels, implying systemic inflammation.

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/...ell.00379.2020

What I don't know is, can systemic inflammation cause or exacerbate obesity? I am not familiar with that, but I don't claim to know everything there is to know about the human body - the subject is LARGE. When I get a chance, I will look around a little and see if I can find anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 03:58 AM

12,690 posts, read 9,867,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I try to use what works. My new doctor was disappointed when he looked at my long list and replied "these are all allergy drugs."

So, you say you went on "semaglutide." Does that mean you are not taking one of the named drugs in this thread and instead you are taking direct injections of semaglutide? What's the deal?

I have only ever had one very negative experience with a pharmaceutical. Surgery has not been my happy place. I have, as it turns out, been a very heavy consumer of doctors, surgeons and the medical community at large. For me, it's just that I am so done with it.

Semaglutide is the active ingredient in Wegovy and Ozempic. I began self-administering a semaglutide solution prepared by a compounding pharmacy 10 days ago. That's quite similar, though if you want to be conservative, not necessarily 100% the same, as Wegovy and Ozempic. The reason I am not using Wegovy or Ozempic, is cost. I can get this for 1/4 the price of the brand name drugs, and I am paying for it out of pocket. You still need a prescription, of course, but my primary care physician provided me that and connected me with a compounding pharmacy. Compounding pharmacies formulate drugs on-site. Here they are buying semaglutide and pyridoxine (Vitamin B-6) and formulating a water solution of prescribed strength and providing that to me in a sterile vial, along with some single-use syringes typically used by patients for insulin injection.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-08-2024 at 04:10 AM..

Old 02-09-2024, 02:00 PM

22,011 posts, read 25,359,703 times
The question is really just where they're buying semaglutide and in what form. There's plenty of reputable compounding pharmacies and also lots of scammy medical spa type outfits as well. As long as you did your homework and went with a reputable compound pharmacy, I wouldn't worry that much about it. The people getting prescriptions of whatever the top sponsored google search result medical spa that will hook you up with a 5 minute video consult though or TikTok videos I'd be less sure of, much less sure about. That's probably where you're seeing all the semaglutide salts which nobody knows if those do anything or are safe.

The other issue of course is that it's on a waiver basis. The only reason any legitimate company is able to operate is because Novo Nordisk can't make enough semaglutide or the autoinjectors to meet demand. Since that's the case the compounding pharmacies are allowed to operate on a waiver basis. Basically that means without much notice if Novo ever gets their act together you're not going to be able to get it from compounding pharmacies anymore as it is on patent.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:06 PM

7,835 posts, read 3,431,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Semaglutide is the active ingredient in Wegovy and Ozempic. I began self-administering a semaglutide solution prepared by a compounding pharmacy 10 days ago. That's quite similar, though if you want to be conservative, not necessarily 100% the same, as Wegovy and Ozempic. The reason I am not using Wegovy or Ozempic, is cost. I can get this for 1/4 the price of the brand name drugs, and I am paying for it out of pocket. You still need a prescription, of course, but my primary care physician provided me that and connected me with a compounding pharmacy. Compounding pharmacies formulate drugs on-site. Here they are buying semaglutide and pyridoxine (Vitamin B-6) and formulating a water solution of prescribed strength and providing that to me in a sterile vial, along with some single-use syringes typically used by patients for insulin injection.
Thanks for explaining

Old 02-24-2024, 02:34 PM

256 posts, read 125,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
I spoke to my doctor about my concern that I'm carrying a bit extra. We decided on how many pounds to drop, then she wrote me a script for Ozempic (off-label, I guess, but it doesn't matter.) I pay for it myself.
I posted that at the end of January...since then I have lost 10 pounds.

My once-a-week injection day is Saturday mornings, it's very easy to do and the needle doesn't hurt one bit. I've experienced zero side effects.

I highly recommend it (or the equivalent Wegovy) to blast fat. When I stepped on the scale today, I felt elation. I now know why everyone is excited, and why it's so popular.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:29 AM

753 posts, read 491,284 times
Quote:
I posted that at the end of January...since then I have lost 10 pounds.

My once-a-week injection day is Saturday mornings, it's very easy to do and the needle doesn't hurt one bit. I've experienced zero side effects.

I highly recommend it (or the equivalent Wegovy) to blast fat. When I stepped on the scale today, I felt elation. I now know why everyone is excited, and why it's so popular.
That’s wonderful! I’m on Ozempic 2mg as well, and lost over 30 pounds last year. I’ve lost 12 pounds this year.

Last edited by Iluvbeagles; 02-26-2024 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Added something.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
That’s wonderful! I’m on Ozempic 2mg as well, and lost over 30 pounds last year. I’ve lost 12 pounds this year.
Congratulations!!! It's not a miracle weight loss drug. If people are thinking a once-weekly injection will magically help them lose weight, think again. I've had to change almost everything about my lifestyle, overhauling my diet and dragging myself into a fitness routine.

Weight loss is a unique journey for each person, and patience and consistency are key factors in achieving successful results.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:29 PM

7,216 posts, read 4,907,498 times
Quote:
Congratulations!!! It's not a miracle weight loss drug. If people are thinking a once-weekly injection will magically help them lose weight, think again. I've had to change almost everything about my lifestyle, overhauling my diet and dragging myself into a fitness routine.

Weight loss is a unique journey for each person, and patience and consistency are key factors in achieving successful results.
I agree. It is easier while you’re taking the injections, because your appetite and gets so low. But you have to stay aware of your portions so you can continue those smaller portions after you are off of the drug.

I lost 35 lbs and so far am doing well keeping it off. But I’ve only been off of it since Halloween. Trying my hardest, some days are easier than others.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:29 PM

22,118 posts, read 13,222,667 times
Quote:
It's not a miracle weight loss drug. If people are thinking a once-weekly injection will magically help them lose weight, think again. I've had to change almost everything about my lifestyle, overhauling my diet and dragging myself into a fitness routine.
Diet and exercise is nothing new; those strategies have been around a long time, yet many people have failed to lose weight doing that until this drug came along, so it's obviously doing SOMETHING different. People who have struggled to lose an ounce for decades are suddenly dropping 50-100+ pounds quickly. If it's not "magic," it's something akin to it.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I agree. It is easier while you’re taking the injections, because your appetite and saiety gets so low. But you have to stay aware of your portions so you can continue those smaller portions after you are off of the drug.

I lost 35 lbs and so far am doing well keeping it off. But I’ve only been off of it since Halloween. Trying my hardest, some days are easier than others.
Thank you for your post...I can really relate best to others who have taken the drug. Congratulations on blasting the fat since Halloween, and keeping it off!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss