Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 07:11 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,227,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Thank you. I've definite reached "a set point," and I blame - at least in part - my dedication to intermittent fasting and eating just once a day for a year, as I believe it slowed my metabolism. I've since read that it's actually not recommended for postmenopausal women. Oops! I'm also "borderline" hypothyroid, but (again) not enough to warrant treatment. It's amazing HOW consistent my weight is; no matter what I do, I invariably return to the exact same number within one or two pounds, which is 20 over what I used to, always was, and should be. My body is absolutely stuck here. It's gotta be insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome.

Oh, and from what I've read and heard, Wegovy isn't just "an appetite suppressant"; I believe America tried and failed using those some decades ago. Users claim that it overrides "starvation mode" and the inevitable slowdown in weight loss the body normally imposes and also that they don't experience the fatigue and loss of energy they did previously while dieting, so it would seem it also has some effect on metabolism and/or hormones. It's also slows motility. Perhaps all the effects aren't quite understood yet.

But it obviously works.

On the other hand, extended fasting does not lower your metabolism (fact).

Lowering calories is what slows your metabolism. So, we would want to eat the number of calories our skinny self requires. So, if I am eating 1,700 to maintain my weight gain I may need to eat what it takes to maintain my thinner self at 1,400. But, I would not want to eat 700 calories as it lowers my metabolism.

The problem is you can know how this all works and it is hard to implement.

We need to want it more than we want it know (to motivate ourselves to do what we have to do).

I would say (from experience). It is better to fast 1, 3, 5, 7 days instead of 23 hours. This may differ if you weigh 120 versus 150, 170 or 270, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 07:19 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,773 times
I think the best course of advice here is to let otterhere experience the drug. Find a way her doctor can approve it. Why? Because sometimes a person needs to actually "ride" the experience to come to a conclusion as to what something actually does.

I was heavily involved in physique competitions and I remember clenbuterol was and is the big fat loss black market drug. I didn't see any magical results other than I developed Nike stripes on the sides of my hair. Bald spots. My hair was thinning. I pulled back my hair and showed my trainer. It was then I told him I was not interested in these "aids" (there were various enhancement aids for us to choose from) and I wanted to compete in drug tested natural shows. I never went that direction of "enhancement aids" ever again.

Otterhere is not asking for something illegal or bad. People use this drug for weightloss or diabetes and it is perscribed. But she is convinced this may work for her. I really think that since it is not illegal, she should experience the drug over the long term and come to her own conclusions.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:27 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
I ate my full day's calories with each OMAD; I did not severely restrict (which some doing IF do, eating only one average-size meal per day). In my experience with IF, younger people lose easily; older, not so much...

Yes, I "know how all this works" and have tried it all. Short of starving it, my body is stuck at this weight.

I don't know how many times I can say this...

Old 02-06-2024, 07:41 AM

I have said several times that fasting more (which you call "starving") is the way to go. Not drugs. The drugs make you eat less; so, just eat less on your own (the healthy way with extended fasting). Losing is easy; keeping it off is a challenge. If you don't eat you will lose weight.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:50 AM

256 posts, read 114,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I have said several times that fasting more (which you call "starving") is the way to go. Not drugs. The drugs make you eat less; so, just eat less on your own (the healthy way with extended fasting). Losing is easy; keeping it off is a challenge. If you don't eat you will lose weight.
Lol! You make it sound as if it can be achieved without effort. It's not that straightforward for some people.

Old 02-06-2024, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
Lol! You make it sound as if it can be achieved without effort. It's not that straightforward for some people.
It's NOT easy, but I've done it. Still 20 pounds overweight with visceral fat (which can't be lipo-suctioned out, BTW, not being subcutaneous, but thanks for that suggestion, too).

Old 02-06-2024, 08:57 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Needing to rant, thanks for reading if inclined.

I'm 64 and a Type II Diabetic with an AIC hovering just above 7. I have osteoarthritis in both knees (bone on bone) and can barely make it a 100 yards walking. I eat a healthy lower fat diet minus any white flour or refined sugar and I'm 6 feet tall, maintaining a weight around 280 now...down from 320.

I desperately need Wagovy, Ozempic or Mounjaro to lose weight as any traditional exercise is out due to my knees and peripheral nerve issues from a hit and run car accident. My insurance has repeatedly declined a prescription for any of the three, despite losing 40 pounds on two rounds of Mounjaro samples from my MD.

Meanwhile every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to be having no issue getting them with minimal chronic issues.

Sort of, kind of infuriating.

Old 02-06-2024, 09:16 AM

We don't know if people are "getting them" and paying through the nose or their insurance is covering it? Highly unlikely insurance makes it easy (for anyone).

Old 02-06-2024, 09:19 AM

As I pointed out earlier, Medicare, which the 64-year-old poster is no doubt on, nor Medicare supplements (Advantage plans) cover it for any reason, even diabetes, which is crazy to me!

Medicaid, on the other hand, pays for it even for "just" weight loss, so you're golden if you're on it.

I suppose with other insurance policies, YMMV. I believe most cover it if you meet the "prescribing protocol," which is BMI of 30 or 27 with one comorbidity (which, again, I do). Lots of other people are resorting to buying the cheaper compounds or knock-offs, which isn't recommended.

Again, to clarify, my complaint isn't that insurance won't cover it - my HRA would - but that my doctor won't prescribe it, claiming my BMI "doesn't qualify."

Old 02-06-2024, 09:19 AM

256 posts, read 114,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Needing to rant, thanks for reading if inclined.

I'm 64 and a Type II Diabetic with an AIC hovering just above 7. I have osteoarthritis in both knees (bone on bone) and can barely make it a 100 yards walking. I eat a healthy lower fat diet minus any white flour or refined sugar and I'm 6 feet tall, maintaining a weight around 280 now...down from 320.

I desperately need Wagovy, Ozempic or Mounjaro to lose weight as any traditional exercise is out due to my knees and peripheral nerve issues from a hit and run car accident. My insurance has repeatedly declined a prescription for any of the three, despite losing 40 pounds on two rounds of Mounjaro samples from my MD.

Meanwhile every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to be having no issue getting them with minimal chronic issues.

Sort of, kind of infuriating.
Hey, sometimes we need to rant, we get angry, we need an ear. I empathize completely

Just one thing I'm unclear about...your insurance claim was declined, but you can still pay for it on your own...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss