Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 06:30 AM

6,997 posts, read 4,811,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What else SHOULD I see but that I DO qualify for it (my BMI is barely under 30, and - even if it weren't - I have a qualifying comorbidity) and that I DO have funds I need to spend or else will lose, and that I DO need and want to lose 15-20 pounds and haven't been able to?

What, exactly, is your objection to that, except that you have a personal grudge against the OP that's very obvious here?

I'm happy to hear that it's worked for others; good for you! I wish it could work for me.
Have you tried a weight loss clinic? My semaglutide rx was around $325 a month (not thousands as some have said), and my tech who is a Nurse Practitioner was with me 100% of the time. She oversaw every
step-up in the amount I took.
I’m not saying $325 is cheap, by any means, but if you have this lump sum sitting and if you can use it for this, why not give it a try? Especially if you’re going to lose out on that money since there’s nothing else it covers that you need or want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 06:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Have you tried a weight loss clinic? My semaglutide rx was around $325 a month (not thousands as some have said), and my tech who is a Nurse Practitioner was with me 100% of the time. She oversaw every
step-up in the amount I took.
I’m not saying $325 is cheap, by any means, but if you have this lump sum sitting and if you can use it for this, why not give it a try? Especially if you’re going to lose out on that money since there’s nothing else it covers that you need or want.
Again...I would need "a letter of medical necessity" for this HRA to approve it; do weight loss clinics issue those? But yes, that's probably what I'll end up doing, even if I have to pay for it myself.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:39 AM

6,997 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Quote:
Again...I would need "a letter of medical necessity" for this HRA to approve it; do weight loss clinics issue those? But yes, that's probably what I'll end up doing, even if I have to pay for it myself.
Not sure about that. I guess the only way to find out is to ask the clinic.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:56 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,596,724 times
Quote:
You should confirm with the claims administrator of your HRA whether "a letter of medical necessity" is required and what documentation is acceptable.

Last edited by Maddie104; 01-30-2024 at 08:17 AM..

Old 01-30-2024, 07:28 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
It was SO EASY!

So was Phen/Fen in the 90s. I lost about 50 lbs on it, but as soon as I reached my goal weight, the doc stopped prescribing it, so I gained it all back. Because I never learned how to eat within my body's goal caloric/fat/carb intake.

Weight Watchers is the best weight-loss program out there, at least for my needs. I lost 50 lbs in 2020, although due to a tragedy in our family I gained back 20 lbs when I went off it and ate what I wanted for awhile. But I went back to it and have kept off the original 30 lbs.

Old 01-30-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
You should confirm with the claims administrator of your HRA what is required for reimbursement.
I already did. "A letter of medical necessity" stating that I meet the prescribing protocols, which are a BMI of 30 or of 27 with a comorbidity (hypertension, diabetes, or dyslipidemia). Although I do meet those criteria, my doctor won't prescribe it or write the letter, insisting that I "don't qualify" (via his assistant; I wasn't able to actually talk to him or get an appointment on such short notice - he's booked six months out - so I left a message and got a message back). He's either misinformed or just doesn't want to do it. Actually, I don't even know for sure that he was asked!

Old 01-30-2024, 07:53 AM

728 posts, read 464,297 times
Quote:
I already did. "A letter of medical necessity" stating that I meet the prescribing protocols, which are a BMI of 30 or of 27 with a comorbidity (hypertension, diabetes, or dyslipidemia). Although I do meet those criteria, my doctor won't prescribe it or write the letter, insisting that I "don't qualify" (via his assistant; I wasn't able to actually talk to him or get an appointment on such short notice - he's booked six months out - so I left a message and got a message back). He's either misinformed or just doesn't want to do it. Actually, I don't even know for sure that he was asked!
Are you allowed to see another doctor?

Old 01-30-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
Are you allowed to see another doctor?
I suppose I would be, but there's the difficulty of finding one that's accepting new patients, scheduling an initial appointment, getting the prescription (I would actually need TWO months' worth to use all the funds) and, of course, all that takes time, along with follow-up appointments. I have only a month to spend this money. Since my doctor and I HAD discussed my weight - and even Wegovy - in the past and he HAD my BMI and labs on file, I thought it would be an easy matter to get started on this. I was wrong! If I end up with outstanding expenses once I transition off my insurance, it won't be covered at all since Medicare doesn't pay for weight loss drugs (although Medicaid does, which I find interesting), and that seems risky. If I end up having to pay out of pocket, I'd rather pay $325 to a weight loss clinic than thousands to a doctor.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:15 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Or, he doesn't feel that you would be successful. I meet all the criteria necessary to successfully have a hysterectomy. Except one, very important one: I don't need a hysterectomy.

Your doctor, for whatever reason, has determined that you don't need Wegovy. Maybe he's determined you need something different. Maybe he's determined you don't need anything at all. Maybe he's already given you advice, and you've chosen to fixate on the newest fad in weight loss instead. No one here knows, and all you're trying to do here on this forum is seek validation for your own poor decisions. You won't get that from me.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:25 AM

I gathered that he's not a fan of Wegovy, from what little we discussed. In fact, his exact words were "if they would just shut their pieholes instead," and we laughed. That was the extent of our discussion (we had other things to discuss), but that should tell you something. And, again, that's his prerogative; just because I meet the protocol doesn't mean he HAS to prescribe it; in fact, he doesn't HAVE to treat me at all.

The fact remains that I DO "qualify" for it, so for him or his office to say I don't is false, and that irks.

I've decided to go with something that's a sure bet instead: a cap for a tooth that I've been needing but putting off. I could have gone longer without it and possibly even gotten a discount with my future Medicare Advantage Plan, but oh well! That should almost to the penny use up all the funds and not be subject to controversy or complications.

Keep the feedback coming, though! I'm interested in your Wegovy stories, particularly if anyone else meeting the criteria was denied, although it doesn't sound like that happens very often...

Last edited by otterhere; 01-30-2024 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss