Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 06:29 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,248,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Semaglutide has multiple effects, that's true. In terms of those leading to weight loss though, that occurs by reducing feelings of hunger through its actions on the hypothalamus, and increasing feelings of satiety and making them last longer after eating, by reducing the rate at which the stomach empties. They're not completely separable, but both of these physiological effects help the patient to eat less. That's how it's working for weight loss. The patient still needs to do diet and exercise, but semaglutide helps with their willpower to diet. So it's not wrong to say that it's an appetite suppressant.
https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2012208

There are other effects - increasing insulin secretion and increasing glucose uptake from the blood into the liver and increasing glycogen synthesis - the storage form of glucose. This is a big part of why it helps diabetics, though many diabetics need to lose weight also.

P.S. I don't think the above Nature paper specifically references semaglutide, but semaglutide is an analog of the incretin hormone, GLP-1.

SO IT'S A FRANKENDRUG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 06:31 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
And if her doctor is refusing to prescribe it to her because of some illness that otterhere has not divulged, or would intentionally obscure in order to influence opinions - and she ends up getting it, and dies -

you'll be okay with that, because she just needed to experience it for herself. Right?

Otterhere wants to take this drug. She will say, and do, whatever it takes to get validation about her decision. Just as she does in all her threads. No matter what it is she's interested in, no matter how much people try to help her understand that some things are really just BAD ideas - she will push until she gets what she wants.

That, in my opinion, is a mental health issue. And encouraging strangers on the internet to do whatever they want, when they clearly have mental health issues, is enabling, and dangerous.
There is no "illness" that I have not "divulged." You are really off the chain with your insulting - and now defaming - comments.

I would appreciate it if you would stop implying that I'm lying based on NOTHING -- and now that I'm "mentally ill"?

Why are YOU so obsessed with my thread that you can't stop repeating the same post over and over? You seem like the unhinged one here.

Reported.

Last edited by otterhere; 02-06-2024 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-06-2024, 06:39 PM

733 posts, read 468,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I DO wonder if these drugs are going to completely replace weight loss surgery (gastric bypass or band) for the morbidly obese. "My 600-Pound Life"'s days may be numbered. They're already on disability, SSI, and Medicaid, for the most part, so they would qualify, and the prescriptions would be free.
Yes I do think they will eventually replace weight loss surgery since they pretty much do the same thing. These meds decrease the speed which food passes through your stomach. It prolongs the digestive process making you feel fuller, for a longer period of time. And, you will feel fuller a lot faster too.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:40 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
There is no "illness" that I have not "divulged." You are really off the chain with your insulting - and now defaming - comments.

I would appreciate it if you would stop implying that I'm lying based on NOTHING -- and now that I'm "mentally ill"?

Why are YOU so obsessed with my thread that you can't stop repeating the same post over and over?

I have been running across Otterhere's posts for about 3 years here now and I would have never described her has having mental issues. I would describe her as often indecisive, a pet lover, kind of cranky sometimes and sometimes kind of silly and I suspect she can be cheap. But, nothing to indicate serious mental issues.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:45 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:
As I also explained at length... I don't have time to start over with another doctor; my HRA has to be spent by a certain deadline. I opted for dental work instead. Keep up! But I will be looking into a self-pay option.
Glad you found a way to use your money.

You tried many different things to get rid of extra weight around abdomen - kudos to you; pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to do OMAD - 1 meal a day. Extremely limiting and boring

Meals to me is a part of enjoyment of life and communion of sorts with people in your life.
Planning, shopping, preparing, cooking and then sharing.

One of the diets I am familiar with is Atkins, which is very successfully used

However, no one is really doing it right as it got hijacked as a low carb diet - which is not really.

The goal of the Atkin’s diet is to lose fat and to determine how many carbs your body can tolerate without you gaining fat and gaining weight

There are 4 stages: and only the first one - induction - is extremely limited in carbs - so you could jump start you fat loss, but not the muscles

Then you start adding a small amount of carbs every week to determine at which level of carbs you still losing weight and once you stopped losing - you go back to the amount of carbs you used the previous week - that is your amount to not exceed.

Have you tried it?
It worked extremely well for people I know - but you have to read the rationale and follow it correctly.

It was the easiest diet to be on - I did it to be sociable and supportive.

You probably can find his book - pocket size at the library?

In addition, Get a tiny pocket size his carb calculator book - very handy to have -to see at glance what veggies, cheeses, other dairy, fruit, pasta have how many net carbs so you could select the suitable ones.

There you can even find restaurant meals and some grocery items with net carbs indicated.

Carbs are important as a source of some micronutrients, variety and general well being - a treat every now and then: freshly baked bread or coffee cake, hearty stew, tasty roasted vegetables to go with your chicken or steak..
The key is to have a general idea how to not overdo it and get into a vicious cycle.

Pretty soon if one lives long enough - the problem will be to not lose appetite and not to lose weight as some elderly struggling to avert

Old 02-07-2024, 04:40 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
SO IT'S A FRANKENDRUG
I hope you're not serious.

If you look at the range of actions from semaglutide, that is good stuff. Keeping your weight down will lower systemic inflammation, prolong the life of your ankle, knee and hip joints, and reduce the risk of falls. Lowering inflammation and blood sugar levels will slow down atherosclerosis, which will slow down cognitive decline and reduce the risk of a heart attack or stroke.

There is always a counterpoint, and it's possible to do these things through lifestyle changes and for those who can, that's preferable of course. But for those who have not been able to do that, GLP-1 agonists can do them a lot of good. This is completely different than earlier weight loss medications, which, even for overweight people, could cause more problems than they solved.

I am a PhD scientist in the drug R&D business myself, and I understand the tradeoffs of pharmacotherapy. I recently went on semaglutide. Of course I'll be looking for side effects and following up with my doctor to look at lab tests and the bathroom scale to see how it's working for me. But I wouldn't have gone on this because others are doing it or because of some ads on TV. I am a good candidate for the drug and can receive significant benefits for multiple serious health concerns. For me, the benefits are greater than the risks, I see that.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:26 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Here is a recent Nature News article that talks a little bit about the anti-inflammatory properties of GLP-1 agonists. This is to be expected from the reductions in blood glucose levels and body fat - many may know that adipocytes - fat cells, are not inert, and emit inflammatory cytokines, an important reason that obese people typically have higher levels of systemic inflammation. But there is reason to believe that this class o drugs may be lowering inflammation by other pathways as well.

Systemic inflammation - you can't feel it, but it causes a host of serious chronic disease conditions over time. It's a force that you need to control if you want to live longer and enjoy good health and function.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00118-4

Old 02-07-2024, 06:59 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Here is a recent Nature News article that talks a little bit about the anti-inflammatory properties of GLP-1 agonists. This is to be expected from the reductions in blood glucose levels and body fat - many may know that adipocytes - fat cells, are not inert, and emit inflammatory cytokines, an important reason that obese people typically have higher levels of systemic inflammation. But there is reason to believe that this class o drugs may be lowering inflammation by other pathways as well.

Systemic inflammation - you can't feel it, but it causes a host of serious chronic disease conditions over time. It's a force that you need to control if you want to live longer and enjoy good health and function.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00118-4
You're the poster with the scientific background I was hoping would come along, so I really appreciate your contributions here. I suspected these drugs did more than just reduce appetite, as we've been there, done that with dieting. I understand they also help with the addictive component of overeating and are being tried on other addictions, lessening the obsession with food or whatever it is (perhaps my "friend" who compulsively posts here should try it). Your explanation of inflammation was also helpful; when I told someone how my weight wouldn't budge, she said, "Sounds like inflammation." I had no idea what that meant - and I'm not sure she did, either! So thanks.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I hope you're not serious.

If you look at the range of actions from semaglutide, that is good stuff. Keeping your weight down will lower systemic inflammation, prolong the life of your ankle, knee and hip joints, and reduce the risk of falls. Lowering inflammation and blood sugar levels will slow down atherosclerosis, which will slow down cognitive decline and reduce the risk of a heart attack or stroke.

There is always a counterpoint, and it's possible to do these things through lifestyle changes and for those who can, that's preferable of course. But for those who have not been able to do that, GLP-1 agonists can do them a lot of good. This is completely different than earlier weight loss medications, which, even for overweight people, could cause more problems than they solved.

I am a PhD scientist in the drug R&D business myself, and I understand the tradeoffs of pharmacotherapy. I recently went on semaglutide. Of course I'll be looking for side effects and following up with my doctor to look at lab tests and the bathroom scale to see how it's working for me. But I wouldn't have gone on this because others are doing it or because of some ads on TV. I am a good candidate for the drug and can receive significant benefits for multiple serious health concerns. For me, the benefits are greater than the risks, I see that.
You made some very good points! I’m on Ozempic as well and my A1C is down to 6.4 from over 7 after only a few months, and I’ve lost over 30 pounds. I’m a diabetic as well. No side effects either.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:42 AM

It seems to me that a lot of people who are all negative about these meds are mostly lay people. When I see my doctors (and I have several of them because I have multiple health issues), they are thrilled that I am on Ozempic. And especially happy that my A1C is down and that I’ve lost so much weight too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss