Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
What I find such a shame is the fact that SO MANY people have to constantly, for years, try to lose weight!
I don't know, but I'm a 56 year old woman, I basically eat the mediterranean way, eat tons of pasta, bread, and the occasional treat. I have been within a few pounds of the same weight my entire adult life..... How about, eat mostly healthy food, use common sense, get some kind of exercise everyday, and when you're full, shut your pie hole!
C'mon L.K. That makes WAY too much sense. It will never fly here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:24 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
The low-fat diets used in these studies are never actually low-fat, I don't know why they keep referring to them as such....

Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Watching this on the CBS Evening news last night about the largest and longest (2 years) Diet study comparing the Low Carb, Low Fat and the Mediterranean Diets as this is being reported by the New England Journal of Medicine and it showed that while all 3 caused weight loss and lowering of cholesterol but that the Low Carb had the biggest weight loss and lowest levels of cholesterol in study subjects.

Study Tips Scales In Atkins Diet's Favor, Low-Carb Regimen Better Than Low-Fat Diet For Weight And Cholesterol, Major Study Shows - CBS News
I would say each diet works differently for each individual body. What works for me will not work for you. I've been thin most of my life until I hit 40. I've always ate healthy, never over ate and exercised. Still gained weight until I figured out my evils that I needed to stay away from which were sugar and simple carbs like bread and pasta (even the whole grain kinds). It made me feel sluggish and tired and I've actually have had more energy staying away from these two things. I do like the Atkins Diet, however, I don't eat the stuff they tell you to eat that is high in fat. I eat low fat cheeses and lean protein and definitely stay away from pork bacon. Turkey bacon for me. I will say that the people I know that stick to Atkins, do keep the weight off which is a definitely a plus. I've purchased the Atkins book but modify and it worked for me.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
What I find such a shame is the fact that SO MANY people have to constantly, for years, try to lose weight!
I don't know, but I'm a 56 year old woman, I basically eat the mediterranean way, eat tons of pasta, bread, and the occasional treat. I have been within a few pounds of the same weight my entire adult life..... How about, eat mostly healthy food, use common sense, get some kind of exercise everyday, and when you're full, shut your pie hole!
You may be one of the lucky ones. I believe they've now found that there is a genetic predisposition to weight gain, so some people will have to work harder and smarter at keeping it off. As the previous poster said, what works for some won't work for others.

I love pasta, but now stick to "Dreamfields" brand. It tastes just as good as any other store brand. I heard about that on a diabetic forum. It has 5 net grams of digestible carbs. I don't understand how that works, but it works for me far better than pasta that has 30 carbs or more to a 1/2 cup.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Have any of you seen the movie Forks over Knives or Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? I recently watched both of these movies on Netflix - real eye openers.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:33 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Why not just use moderation in consumption, take a good walk daily and quit eating when your body tells you that you are full then you can eat what you want, when you want and stay roughly the same weight all the time.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You may be one of the lucky ones. I believe they've now found that there is a genetic predisposition to weight gain, so some people will have to work harder and smarter at keeping it off. As the previous poster said, what works for some won't work for others.

I love pasta, but now stick to "Dreamfields" brand. It tastes just as good as any other store brand. I heard about that on a diabetic forum. It has 5 net grams of digestible carbs. I don't understand how that works, but it works for me far better than pasta that has 30 carbs or more to a 1/2 cup.
A genetic predisposition to gain weight is not a valid excuse. And luck has absolutely nothing to do with losing weight. Its true some people are naturally thin and do not have to worry but they are not who we are talking about here.
A lot of my family is obese and I will gain weight easily if I allow myself to. My husband's father and 3 sisters are all morbidly obese, he is not because he is not allowing himself to become like them. Personal responsibility is paramount in losing and keeping weight off. Making excuses however seems to be the popular choice.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why not just use moderation in consumption, take a good walk daily and quit eating when your body tells you that you are full then you can eat what you want, when you want and stay roughly the same weight all the time.
There's a common misconception that fat people actually stuff themselves beyond the point of satisfaction. In fact what they do is the exact same thing that those of moderate weight do - they eat until they feel full. It just takes longer for that signal of satiation to hit ....... that feeling of fullness is actually in the brain, not the stomach.

That used to be called the "appestat", maybe it still is. It works like a thermostat - if a normal sized person starts to gain some weight, he will become satisfied with less food - and likewise, if he loses weight outside of his normal range, his appetite will increase. It takes no effort or willpower, it works automatically for most people to regulate their weight.

That appestat has been malfunctioning more and more in the industrialized countries - something is causing it to go off-kilter. People have been consuming more calories than are needed to maintain a normal weight, and as noted above it's not with a feeling of stuffing themselves, but just eating to satisfaction.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:11 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Watching this on the CBS Evening news last night about the largest and longest (2 years) Diet study comparing the Low Carb, Low Fat and the Mediterranean Diets as this is being reported by the New England Journal of Medicine and it showed that while all 3 caused weight loss and lowering of cholesterol but that the Low Carb had the biggest weight loss and lowest levels of cholesterol in study subjects.

Study Tips Scales In Atkins Diet's Favor, Low-Carb Regimen Better Than Low-Fat Diet For Weight And Cholesterol, Major Study Shows - CBS News
Unfortunately going Low Carb is the one diet Americans are least likely to stick with. Giving up pasta, potatoes, and bread is simply too difficult for the majority who grew up eating such foods.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

If by lucky you mean that I was given a brain that has never allowed me to over eat and pack on extra pounds. I am lucky to have the determination to not become overweight. I am lucky enough to stay motivated to exercise almost everyday. You know the old Lays potato chip commercial that says "no one can eat just one"?
Well, I can. I can eat like five French fries. I can eat half a cookie and then walk away. I can pass up a second helping or a dessert if I'm full. Yes, I'm lucky to care enough about myself and my health to maintain a normal healthy weight.
And the fact that I eat lots of carbs, like pasta and bread....well, again, I don't eat the whole box or the whole loaf.
In addition, as much as people use genetics as an excuse, genetics will not prevail if environment does not support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss