Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,456 times

Advertisements

I am so pleased to tell you all about the fight Tyra Banks is taking on for what healthy weight should be - She weighs 161 - and is 5'10".

I am sure you guys have seen this on the news - but this morning on Good Morning America - she is so ON!!! The picture presented to us of the anorexic model here on the board - it was not a lie. She is discussing the modeling world and their horrible weight restrictions - she did the math, and for a model who is 5'11" and wearing a size '2' - she would weigh 90lbs.

Obviously not healthy!

I am so proud of Tyra and the work she is doing. She is attacking the tabloids, challenging the modeling world to change their standards (some are conforming and saying that models 5'10" need to weigh 125 at least), and letting the world know curves are healthy and good.

Her reasoning? She is so concerned about the young girls who consume this media info - and is determined to help them be healthy and not kill themselves trying to conform.

Last year saw the death of 3 runway modesl from complications of anorexia.

We, I believe - as parents, daughters, sisters, WOMEN (sorry guys, not meaning to leave you out) - have to get the word out and keep close eye on our children. Teach them to be healthy - not thin. Health is what we should concentrate on.

We can take up this fight right here where we are - by educating as many as we can. There is a comerrcial running about telling 'someone' about the dangers of cervical cancer. Tell 'someone' about the need to be healthy - not thin.

This is so on my heart - as many of you know my history - my ups and downs, and the struggle I have right now just trying to shake the extra 10 or so I have gained. With my body, every 5lbs I loose is one size in clothing.

At a size 12 for my 5'4 (5"?) large frame - I am healthy and comfortable. I can also be comfortable in a size 14 - as we all know sizes vary from brand to brand. I just want to be healthy - and putting down those last cigarettes, increasing my exercise - will get me healthy.

Just had to share this morning. THIS topic will set me on fire faster than anything....

Have a Healthy Day!!!! KimmieyKY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 07:37 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,779 times
Good for Tyra!
I am actually quite amazed at her actions. You get the assumed opinions that model/actors are usually snobby and don't care about "real" issues. Most just get behind something to get their name on something else. She actually appears to care and really put heart behind something. I admire that.

I have struggled with my weight for the past 6 years. I feel semi-comfortable where I am now. I am more in the mentality that I don't want to loose weight.. I would be happy being toned. Just nicely toned. That's the thing I think alot of people don't realize. WEIGHT is really just a number.. you don't have to weigh 125 to look amazing. Just get yourself toned up, and it makes a drastic difference.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:01 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Tyra Banks is one of the most beautiful women I can think of. I could just stare at her...preferably up close! for hours
I remember I saw her once with Ryan Seacrest eating Asian food in a restaurant where the food was sold by the bowl. She showed him how to pack it so that you can get more food. It was exactly what I would have done!
I don't care if she's bigger or thinner, she's one fine, fine woman...a very intelligent and sweet lady too.
I'm available Tyra? Ya think ya might like Ozarks life???

Old 01-31-2007, 08:37 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,032 times
Attachment 970

Here is that photo that is being put into all the magazines.
Tyra said, she will wear that bathing suit on her show Thursday.

Last edited by DBNN; 07-27-2007 at 01:48 PM..

Old 01-31-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Tyra Banks is one of the most beautiful women I can think of. I could just stare at her...preferably up close! for hours
I remember I saw her once with Ryan Seacrest eating Asian food in a restaurant where the food was sold by the bowl. She showed him how to pack it so that you can get more food. It was exactly what I would have done!
I don't care if she's bigger or thinner, she's one fine, fine woman...a very intelligent and sweet lady too.
I'm available Tyra? Ya think ya might like Ozarks life???
Hey - you are mine, Mister! Just teasing.....

It's great to hear a guy say those things - so many girls NEED to hear that. I feel so sorry for the ones who think - if I was just a size...my life would be better and HE would notice me. It's horrible, and I have been there and done that and will NEVER do it again.

Tyra is amazing - something about her and Queen Latifah - they are really going after the entire 'weight' paradigms.

Very proud of them!!!

Kimmiey

DBNN - thanks for the pic - Isn't it great how she turned it all around on THEM??

Last edited by kimmieyky; 01-31-2007 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 01-31-2007, 08:58 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
Attachment 970

Yummy!! I like her better now. Only fashion designers like skinny women. Real men like real women with curves. The mo curves the mo better!!

Old 01-31-2007, 09:09 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,712 times
I think weight is a huge issue in our country. I think it's dangerous to be both underweight and too overweight. While we, as women, all want to look good, I think we underestimate the power of being too thin. It is just as dangerous (if not moreso because of lack of nutrients) than being overweight. I, myself, had always been a skinny minny, never too skinny, but just right....until I got pregnant. I was always lucky because I could eat whatever I wanted my whole life and never gained a pound (I literally was 95 lbs. my entire teenagehood right up until I was pregnant at 22), but I didn't take into consideration that pregnancy is a lot different. I ate what I wanted and gained 55 lbs.....aaaaagggghhh. Keep in mind, I'm very petite, I'm just under (by 1/4 inch) 5 feet. So this was a shock to my body. After I had my daughter, I ate better (not great, but better) and lost the weight. Now that I'm 10 years older, with my last pregnancy, that weight doesn't seem to want to leave me....yet. While I don't look that much different from my "skinny" days, it's still a change. My goal is to become "healthy", whether that entails losing the right weight or just shaping what I've got, it doesn't matter because now I'm a role model on top of it. I have daughters......enough said. They need to know (and it's our job to make them know) that as long as you are healthy and make the right decisions for your lifestyle, no one can make you feel inferior. Life isn't about looks. My older daughter is tall and thin (yeah, like a model...ugh) and while I pray she never decides to go into the runway business, she's gorgeous. But it wouldn't hurt if she gained weight at all. In fact, she's a pretty good eater, so I can't complain but sometimes those skinny legs make me squeamish. However, I was a pixiestick too at her age and I filled out, so I'm not worried...but it doesn't mean I can turn my back, she's still at a very vulnerable age. My stepdaughter on the other hand is slightly taller and overweight for her age. But she's still gorgeous. However, she has the worst eating habits I've ever seen. She'll literally eat until you say "stop". However, she's a product of her environment, she has a mother who doesn't spend time with her and she and her older sister are left to cook for themselves (yes, at 9 and 13)if the grandfather doesn't...so they live off junk. Then her mom screams at them that they're fat slobs. Then she comes to my house crying and we tell her that she's beautiful and she's made the way God wants her to be, but we try to feed all the kids healthy meals and get them exercise (regardless of their size and shape). The girl is completely confused and depressed and insecure because the woman she looks up to is mean to her. So she stuffs her face when nobody's looking. And we actually had to stop allowing her to use the bathroom immediately after dinner because we were more than suspicious about what she was doing in there...but she'd lock the door so we were never positive (but she'd be in the bathroom before we'd even put our forks down). This kills us because other than counseling and monitoring, we don't know what else to do because eventually, she goes home to her mom. So, yes, in our house, this is a big issue. I'm sick of the magazines with Nicole Richie and Lindsay Lohan...they gossip but they're indirectly promoting anorexia, they make martyrs of these people. This next generation of girls and future generations need to know that it's what's inside that counts and it's about using the brains God put in your head...not your body...to gain attention, sorry, proper attention. If we're all supposed to look like stick figures, then why were we born with hips????? These kids are borderline killing themselves to look like these freaks they mistake for role models....it needs to stop.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
Attachment 970

Hope not! It's ugly - the red one she wears on the People cover is much prettier!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:11 PM

Pixie - I sooooo feel for you and your step- daughter. I think you rsuspicions were right bout her bathroom habits - been there, done that, too.

Just keep encouraging her. The more positive she hears the better she will be, and you will be surprised what will stay with her.

Do you have any conversations with her mom at all? Would she blow off the chart if you talked to her about this? The other thing, can she begin to stay more with you guys to have the better environment?

I know that is always a sticky subject - but well worth a try if you can make her life better.

It is so hard to see achild suffering so young due to the media, parents, whatever.

Have to add this - I love my mother. She means well. BUT - because she has always had a problem with heweight (in her head) she is focused on weight no matter what. I was talking to her today about my best friend from school. Annie and I have been friends for 30 years, and she was a stick in high school.
She married, put on some weight with two kids, but she is beautiful, and not hugely overweight, just still has a little 'baby' fat from the kids (the youngest is 3). So as I talked to mom today and mentioned her - the first thing she asked was - has she lost her weight yet? Not, how are the kids, how is she, what's she doing now....just has she lost weight.

Oh well. I know what you are going through.

Good luck and keep the faith. Kimmiey

Old 02-01-2007, 03:02 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
I definately dont like anorexic models, neither do normal men. The only type of models I check out are the "plus size" ones and most of them are actually normal weight or just a very few pounds overweight. I dont think we should even be calling them plus size if they are less than a 16! There should be laws making it illegal for anyone underweight to be a model as its harmful to teens that might make themselves anorexic to "fit in"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss