Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Because one person(you) doesnt have problems no one else is going to?

Ok...I doubt your claim to as what you are.

Running Injury - Common Injuries in Runners

Is "Wear and Tear" the Cause of Exercise-Related Osteoarthritis?-Exercise & Weight Loss Studies-Obesity Discussion Forums

Once you are injured its can bother you for the rest of your life and limit what you can do in the future for working out.

Low intensity be it diet or exercise takes more fat because there is less stress on the body. That walking article is crap. I never said that running didnt burn more calories.
But burning more doesnt mean burning best.

More never means best when it comes to working out and weightloss across the board.

As Popeye said best...."I yam what I yam..."

Doubt all you want...you are still wrong.

What was the point of the 2 links you posted since neither of them have ANYTHING to do with osteoarthritis related to running.....because again, there is NO evidence to support your claim despite your supposition that it is a FACT. In fact, if you bothered to read the body of your second link you would see that the writer actually quotes the study by Shrier that SHOWS NO CAUSATIVE LINK BETWEEN RUNNING AND OSTEOARTHRITIS

Also, your rationale that low intensity exercise burns more fat because...it puts less stress on the body???? THAT would be crap my friend...

Last edited by bluedevilz; 09-08-2008 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
You want respect you have to give it blue devils. And you just seem to fight. Consider any post you make ignored by me. You dont even seem to really read what I am writing anyway. You just go off on what you know while I am trying to inform someone to be careful of injury with running and other fun facts of fat burned per calorie. You are going off about something I didnt even say. I am not wrong. Running can cause joint problems. Any one that can read can click the links and see you are just making yourself look obnoxious.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You want respect you have to give it blue devils. And you just seem to fight. Consider any post you make ignored by me. You dont even seem to really read what I am writing anyway. You just go off on what you know while I am trying to inform someone to be careful of injury with running and other fun facts of fat burned per calorie. You are going off about something I didnt even say. I am not wrong. Running can cause joint problems. Any one that can read can click the links and see you are just making yourself look obnoxious.

Right back at ya Pitt....

Here is exactly what you said.....

"And running does cause joint damage. Numerous studies have demonstrated that fact."

That is an exact quote from you, deny it if you want....you just can't admit you are wrong....

Whatever, I'm done arguing with you since you are the one being obnoxious

Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 AM

More evidence regarding the Myth of running "causing" osteoarthritis of the knee....

Does running increase the risk of knee injury or osteoarthritis? - The Boston Globe

Old 09-28-2008, 07:12 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay637 View Post
You have a point there..and my girls are big so.. eh
Walking is time consuming though, isn't it? How long would you suggest?
I saw that you only burn about 190 calories per hour with walking. I know that you can burn almost three times that if you run.
That all depends on how brisk your pace it. If you can keep a brisk 3.5 mph, you could easily shed 400 calories in an hour.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:50 PM

32 posts, read 119,869 times
Yes, that makes perfect sense to me.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
If you are that overweight and new to running I would suggest that you first ONLY do the elliptical which will not put any strains on your joints. Once you get the hang of it (maybe a month or two of daily workouts) then you should try running/walking.

Just be sure to start slowly and set easily attainable goals for yourself. Start with maybe 2-3 miles. You dont have to run the full distance, you can run then walk for a while, then run again. Even if you only run for 20 seconds and walk for 3 minutes, then run again for 30 seconds and walk again, just be sure to keep the distance. Before you know it, you'll be running the entire way.

Great advice!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
I actually started building up for running by playing Dance Dance Revolution. After I was able to play five or six rounds on Heavy/Challenge, I found that jogging was quite easy. To boot, you can do it in the comfort of your own home and not feel weird.

Just a suggestion.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:08 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay637 View Post
Ok, the title sounds silly, but for someone who has NEVER been an avid runner, this is serious!
Currently I am about 50 pounds over my ideal weight. Let's just say I am a female and around 5'5 and in the range of 180. Pretty chubby!
Well, I reallllly want to start running but where do I start? I know I cannot realistically go out there and just jog 30 minutes straight, or heck even 5 at that, right off the bat. So how do you build up to it??? I'm also a little worried because I am heavier and I'm wondering how much this will annoy my joints and knees. Do any of you have success stories? I see those avid runners every morning, sweating away and running like it's second nature..how can I ever be like that? Each time I start to run, or workout, I get lightheaded. It usually subsides after about a week of working out..but whereas I used to use gym machines before, I am now wanting to run because it is the most affordable:FREE.
Any suggestions? Do any of you wear a certain brand of shoes? I have what they call flat feet (just barely a slight arch) so I'm wondering if I should look at different shoes? New Balance seems to be the most cushiony.
Get a physical exam, first.

Next try low impact aerobics, step aerobics, walking with hand weights, biking (recumbent or conventional, indoor or outdoor).

Get a 'workout partner' to motivate you and for you to motivate him/her.

If you have flat feet, you need motion control shoes. You may need orthotics if you suffer from heel spurs.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:06 PM

372 posts, read 849,178 times
Ease yourself into a plan.

I started off by jogging two minutes then walking three... jogging two minutes then walking three... for a total of 30 minutes.

After a week I upped it to three minutes of joggin, two minutes of walking.

After another week I upped it to 5 minutes of joggin, 3 minutes of walking... I think you get the point.

Eventually I was able to run for 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes+. Once I got to 30 minutes of continuous running, I started concentrating on distances more than time.

Don't push yourself too hard. You'll just get frustrated and quit. When running try to keep the pace slow enough that you can hold a conversation. If you're panting too much to talk you need to slow it up. It might seem like you're going too slow, but speed will come later. Right now you need to work on building a base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss