Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:55 PM

54 posts, read 49,861 times

Advertisements

Ok, the title sounds silly, but for someone who has NEVER been an avid runner, this is serious!
Currently I am about 50 pounds over my ideal weight. Let's just say I am a female and around 5'5 and in the range of 180. Pretty chubby!
Well, I reallllly want to start running but where do I start? I know I cannot realistically go out there and just jog 30 minutes straight, or heck even 5 at that, right off the bat. So how do you build up to it??? I'm also a little worried because I am heavier and I'm wondering how much this will annoy my joints and knees. Do any of you have success stories? I see those avid runners every morning, sweating away and running like it's second nature..how can I ever be like that? Each time I start to run, or workout, I get lightheaded. It usually subsides after about a week of working out..but whereas I used to use gym machines before, I am now wanting to run because it is the most affordable:FREE.
Any suggestions? Do any of you wear a certain brand of shoes? I have what they call flat feet (just barely a slight arch) so I'm wondering if I should look at different shoes? New Balance seems to be the most cushiony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 02:57 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
You shouldnt start running when you are really heavy like that because of the possibilty of joint damage. Look for low impact cardio instead. Other people say "ive done it" and yeh thats great...But even normal weighted people get joint issues from it.

Not to mention what running can do to "the girls"

Walking is more effective at fat percentage reduction anyway.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 PM

54 posts, read 49,861 times
You have a point there..and my girls are big so.. eh
Walking is time consuming though, isn't it? How long would you suggest?
I saw that you only burn about 190 calories per hour with walking. I know that you can burn almost three times that if you run.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:08 PM

874 posts, read 3,680,691 times
The great thing about running..you are working your muscles slowly therefore you experience less joint pains etc. its more productive that running especially if you are heavy.

My suggestion is purchase a dvd called "walk away the pounds". You do it in the comfort of your own home and they have the 1-4mile walk. When I had my daughter..i used this dvd and it worked wonders. Do it every day..naturally start with the 1 mile until you feel that you are ready to move on the 2nd etc. By time you reach your 4 mile stretch..you'll feel more confidant to walk or possibly run outside.

Your body will do the talking! Good luck!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You shouldnt start running when you are really heavy like that because of the possibilty of joint damage. Look for low impact cardio instead. Other people say "ive done it" and yeh thats great...But even normal weighted people get joint issues from it.

Not to mention what running can do to "the girls"

Walking is more effective at fat percentage reduction anyway.
Running does not cause joint damage to "normal people" numerous studies have demonstrated that fact....

Running also is more effective at burning calories than walking...

Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 AM

More calories doesnt always mean more fat burned. Look it up.

You want to retain muscle and lose fat. Walking instead of running does that for you.
And running does cause joint damage. Numerous studies have demonstrated that fact.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:10 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
problem with running is its weight critical. overweight means you are going to be beating up your ligaments and tendons. damage is bad.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
If you are that overweight and new to running I would suggest that you first ONLY do the elliptical which will not put any strains on your joints. Once you get the hang of it (maybe a month or two of daily workouts) then you should try running/walking.

Just be sure to start slowly and set easily attainable goals for yourself. Start with maybe 2-3 miles. You dont have to run the full distance, you can run then walk for a while, then run again. Even if you only run for 20 seconds and walk for 3 minutes, then run again for 30 seconds and walk again, just be sure to keep the distance. Before you know it, you'll be running the entire way.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
More calories doesnt always mean more fat burned. Look it up.

You want to retain muscle and lose fat. Walking instead of running does that for you.
And running does cause joint damage. Numerous studies have demonstrated that fact.
I'll show you some studies that show running does NOT injure cartilage...

Long distance running and osteoarthrosis -- Konradsen et al. 18 (4): 379 -- American Journal of Sports Medicine

MR Imaging of the Hip and Knee Before and After Marathon Running -- Hohmann et al. 32 (1): 55 -- American Journal of Sports Medicine

Does Running Cause Arthritis?

Does Running Cause Arthritis? (http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Running-Cause-Arthritis?&id=1149963 - broken link)

Does Long-Distance Running Cause Osteoarthritis? -- Cymet and Sinkov 106 (6): 342 -- Journal of the American Osteopathic Association

Pri-Med Patient Education Center - Osteoarthritis: Causes and diagnosis (http://www.patientedu.org/aspx/HealthELibrary/HealthETopic.aspx?cid=N0206a - broken link)
\

Now, please feel free to "educate me" on this supposed FACT that running causes arthritis and joint damage because the FACT is that has been long proven to be untrue...

Shouldn't be hard, after all I'm only an Orthopaedic Sports Medicine provider who has been running for over 25 years with a dozen marathons behind me

The idea that running causes joint damage is a myth...

The idea that walking is more effective at "fat burning" than running is also a myth

Fitness - The Walking Myth (http://www.risingwomen.com/arccannone2.htm - broken link)

Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Because one person(you) doesnt have problems no one else is going to?

Ok...I doubt your claim to as what you are.

Running Injury - Common Injuries in Runners

Is "Wear and Tear" the Cause of Exercise-Related Osteoarthritis?-Exercise & Weight Loss Studies-Obesity Discussion Forums

Once you are injured its can bother you for the rest of your life and limit what you can do in the future for working out.

Low intensity be it diet or exercise takes more fat because there is less stress on the body. That walking article is crap. I never said that running didnt burn more calories.
But burning more doesnt mean burning best.

More never means best when it comes to working out and weightloss across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss