Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:13 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times

Advertisements

Uncle Ben's dry Wild rice is good that you prepare and good for you and brown rice is healthy for you too just not as tastey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
For the most part you are getting some good suggestions. However, things like canned soup, ham, jerky and Rice-a-roni are loaded with sodium. Unfortunately, most of the products that are touted as "diet" or "low fat" are very high in sodium and even if you don't have blood pressure issues, all that sodium puts undue strain on your systems. The best eating advice is to eat things that have as little processing as possible such as "white" meats, fish, fresh fruits & vegetables, whole grain products such as breads, cereals and pasta (not just whole wheat, but whole grain), legumes (beans, peas, etc.) and lots of water. But to keep yourself from giving in to unhealthy cravings, you should allow yourself small indulgences like a square of dark chocolate or something similar (for me, its a Skinny Cow fudge bar every so often). It's the processing that takes good food, strips it of nutrients, and returns it as junk. Do some research on the Mediterranean eating plan.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
OK. Keep your intake low and eat what you want, remembering that if you eat protein and whole-grain bread, oatmeal, lentil or bean soups, salads (with lots of good veggies and add chickpeas), and avoid white foods (bad carbs - rice, potatoes, bread), which I call fluff food because it doesn't fill you and is basically wasted calories, you will eat less because you will be more satisfied. There is nothing wrong with good fats - like butter,olive oil, eaten sparingly.

At the very least, walk at least 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes at a good clip.
While I agree with much of what you say, I do take issue with a couple of things. In and of themselves, what you call bad carbs, are not inherently bad. A small baked potato, sweet potatoes, brown rice and whole grain bread are great sources of nutrient-rich fiber and these foods are very filling and have good "staying power." It's what most of us slather all over these foods that turns them "bad." Additionally, I also disagree with your calling butter a good fat. Good fats are olive oil, canola oil, avocados, and nuts such as almonds and walnuts.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Living on 1200 calories a day is total BS! So is a diet where you only lose weight by less food intake! You just gotta take the hard road and restrain yourself from bad overeating and excessive candy / donut splurges. Then you gotta do cardio / like bike workouts or maybe even weightlifting for fat loss to lose the weight!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:55 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Living on 1200 calories a day is total BS! So is a diet where you only lose weight by less food intake! You just gotta take the hard road and restrain yourself from bad overeating and excessive candy / donut splurges. Then you gotta do cardio / like bike workouts or maybe even weightlifting for fat loss to lose the weight!
Excuse me, but 1200 cal a day can be quite healthy. Sorry, but the MOST IMPORTANT thing for overweight people to learn, is to REDUCE their caloric intake. And yes, increase their exercise. This has been proven in studies time and time again - in fact I just read another one recently. My caloric intake is rarely above 1200...and I am as healthy as a horse.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,570 times
heres mine:
breakfast: egg whites with 1 egg yolk, HIGH fiber english muffin
Lunch: chicken with veggies and 1 cup of rice (sometimes 2)
snack: Berries with yogurt or whipped topping.
Dinner: Chicken or pork tenderloin with veggies and rice..

I'm not doing very well as I'm not loosing weight which means that i need to re-evaluate my plan and lose more carbs on it. ha-ha.. i also have my cheat meals.. which include a pizza (flat bread with veggies).

Old 04-03-2009, 10:48 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
could some of you please list your eating plans honestly. I am trying to re learn how to eat. I am trying to relearn how to add carbs back and some of the enjoyable ones , with staying on a 1200 calorie diet. Thanks so much.

I am curious if any of you eat oatmeal, popcorn, and foods with carbs that are just not veggies? I am trying to get me a new plan. I just cant take meat and eggs anymore!!! Its all starting to backfire. Thanks so much

Definitely Weight Watchers. They teach you to watch everything you eat, and how to portion your meals based on your weight goal loss. You can eat whatever you want, but if you choose to eat something that takes up all your points early in the day, then you're finished eating for the day, basically. It causes you to choose wisely.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
could some of you please list your eating plans honestly. I am trying to re learn how to eat. I am trying to relearn how to add carbs back and some of the enjoyable ones , with staying on a 1200 calorie diet. Thanks so much.

I am curious if any of you eat oatmeal, popcorn, and foods with carbs that are just not veggies? I am trying to get me a new plan. I just cant take meat and eggs anymore!!! Its all starting to backfire. Thanks so much
1200 calorie is a pretty low diet Steve.

I eat:

Long grain brown rice - Trader Joes has great frozen packs you can microwave
Whole wheat pastas
Whole wheat breads
lean meats - chicken breasts, steaks, bbq tri tip
Organic baby spinach - usually straight outta the bag
Wheat and wheat germ pancakes with blueberries and banana
Fresh raw broccoli
The cans of chunk light tuna (mix with kidney beans, corn and beet horseradish)
Raisin Bran cereal with scoop of protein powder
Quaker Oats with banana and honey
Special K strawberry snack bars
Kellogs Blueberry breakfast bars
Mashed Yams (or whole yams)
One grapefruit per day (1/2 after breakfast and 1/2 later in day)
Cabernet wine - one small glass per day with dinner
Cottage cheese - usually put honey and fruit (blueberries or strawberries) for tastes
Almond butter and blackberry jelly sandwiches on whole wheat bread
Raw, unsalted mixed nuts (with not peanuts) from Trader Joes

I also occasionally eat kebab, teriyaki chicken, hummus, piece of chocolate, Chipotle burrito bowl, In-N-Out Burger and have dark beer but not often. I workout like a mad man (couple times per day).

Old 04-03-2009, 11:49 AM

38 posts, read 112,289 times
Default Not losing the tummy

I will be 46 next month and it seems my stomach is getting bigger, I keep my weigth in other parts of the body, it is just my stomach and it is frustrating. Do you have any tips?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
I agree with a low-calorie diet. Although no study has been done on humans that I am aware of, lab animals placed on a low-calorie diet live considerably longer and healthier lives than those on a normal diet. I have my own theory why it works. Your internal organs are similar to parts of a car engine, each with a specific working capacity. Once this capacity is reached, the parts break down and die. Your internal organs have to work less when you eat less; thereby, lasting longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss