Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times

Advertisements

If you need to learn what heathy eating is you might want to look at the Weight watchers Core diet.

It tells you exactly what you can and cannot eat and leaves a little wiggle room for a few "cheats" which is built into the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 05:20 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
well I am reporting back here and I have lost 13 lbs, and cleaned my diet up !! Went from 150, 137 at 5 feet 5 inches. I have gotten back into heavy heavy weightlifting which was once my passion for over 10 years. I broke 2 vertabrea in my back squatting and thats what put a damper on my weight lifting and diet. I was in a brace for 8 months, and took off 1 1/2 years. Now you ask how did I break my back, honestly I will tell you. I got so obsessed with weightlifting, I was at my best at 38 years old, cut ripped, and strong. Then I had a great idea (joke) to go on a cycle of anavar. Well this was the end of my weightlifting for 1 1/2 years. My bones could not handle it, my muscles said GO!! SO broke my back. I am back heavy weight lifting, no juice. MY diet has improved , I am feeling great again, the weightlifting has helped my head and it really was my favorite thing to do in the whole world. I am starting over and no where near as ripped and muscled as I was, but 3 months into it again after 10 years and its coming back. The key with me is not to be obessed and not to do anything stupid. thanks for all your ideas. Thanks all Marilyn

Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
Chicken salads, lots of raw veggies, the select vegetable soup, pretzels, low fat popcorn, oatmeal.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:31 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
All my meals are salads with meat (no vegetarian here).

Salmon, Chicken or Eggs are usually one of my protein meats along with Broccoli, Kale, Carrots, Red Onion and Tomato mixed with Garlic powder and Cayenne pepper and a tbsp of Olive Oil are usually what builds my salad and for energy carbs usually it's either Plums, Apples or Frozen Blueberries along with Green Tea. Red and purple Vege's and Fruits are the antiaging foods as they have Resveratrol and Anthocyanidins polyphenols.

Fairly simple and boring but i really believe this has kept me looking and feeling young and full of energy as i'm 44 and feel like i'm 28. Of course when i have an ice cream date with a single lady then i kinda forget all about eating healthy .

Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
All my meals are salads with meat (no vegetarian here).

Salmon, Chicken or Eggs are usually one of my protein meats along with Broccoli, Kale, Carrots, Red Onion and Tomato mixed with Garlic powder and Cayenne pepper and a tbsp of Olive Oil are usually what builds my salad and for energy carbs usually it's either Plums, Apples or Frozen Blueberries along with Green Tea. Red and purple Vege's and Fruits are the antiaging foods as they have Resveratrol and Anthocyanidins polyphenols.

Fairly simple and boring but i really believe this has kept me looking and feeling young and full of energy as i'm 44 and feel like i'm 28. Of course when i have an ice cream date with a single lady then i kinda forget all about eating healthy .
good ideas here, and that ice cream is certainly ok now and then! You sound perfect!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templete View Post
I will be 46 next month and it seems my stomach is getting bigger, I keep my weigth in other parts of the body, it is just my stomach and it is frustrating. Do you have any tips?

As women get into their late 30's and 40's, that area is definitely hard to keep in shape. I do about a 120 crunches, only 3 times a week with an ab roller Official Site : Ab Roller® It sounds like a lot, but it only takes 15-20 minutes tops, and I do it while watching television. You can adjust the equipment to work different parts of your abs. My abs are not by any means perfect, but they are in pretty good shape. That, along with a low fat, low sugar balanced diet keeps the weight off that area.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
well I am reporting back here and I have lost 13 lbs, and cleaned my diet up !! Went from 150, 137 at 5 feet 5 inches. I have gotten back into heavy heavy weightlifting which was once my passion for over 10 years. I broke 2 vertabrea in my back squatting and thats what put a damper on my weight lifting and diet. I was in a brace for 8 months, and took off 1 1/2 years. Now you ask how did I break my back, honestly I will tell you. I got so obsessed with weightlifting, I was at my best at 38 years old, cut ripped, and strong. Then I had a great idea (joke) to go on a cycle of anavar. Well this was the end of my weightlifting for 1 1/2 years. My bones could not handle it, my muscles said GO!! SO broke my back. I am back heavy weight lifting, no juice. MY diet has improved , I am feeling great again, the weightlifting has helped my head and it really was my favorite thing to do in the whole world. I am starting over and no where near as ripped and muscled as I was, but 3 months into it again after 10 years and its coming back. The key with me is not to be obessed and not to do anything stupid. thanks for all your ideas. Thanks all Marilyn
Good for you ! I hope you continue to do well.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:49 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
and that ice cream is certainly ok now and then!
LOL....we have to live it up a tad bit or we'd all go crazy .

Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
My favorite food actually is chopped salads, the kind that you get from The Cheesecake Factory or California Pizza. They put walnuts, cheeses, chicken, apples & all sorts of delicious things in there.

You have to run out before the Cheesecake menu comes, though.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-19-2009, 03:11 PM

18 posts, read 94,112 times
Dh & I are on the South Beach Diet & have lost 12 & 13 pounds. We feel healthier, are stronger, don't have the brain fog and just feel better about life.

SBD allows you to have lean proteins, good carbs, good fats, etc. We use olive oil or canola oil generally in our cooking. We do have eggs and such, but not every day. We eat lots of chicken and lean cuts of pork and beef. We eat Steel Cut Oatmeal (we buy it bulk for cheaper than in the cannister), which is fantastic! We also eat brown rice, whole wheat cous cous, occasionally have a sweet potato and dh sometimes makes some really good whole grain bread he found a recipe for. We eat salad and other veggies a lot. We have some fruit (lower Glycemic Index fruits) - basically everything except bananas & pineapple every day, too.

I do like the occasional bowl of popcorn, but use the lower fat version of it. We eat some kind of nut generally every day (one serving, not the whole container is the key I had to grasp).

We do occasionally splurge, too. Maybe go out for a burger or maybe have some dark chocolate. Generally when we go out to eat, though, we choose items that aren't breaded, fried and the like. We choose things with the sauce that's not cream or sugary based. We look for grilled or broiled items. I love salads at some restaurants & ask for the dressing on the side - I dip my fork in the dressing & then spear my salad so I use much less dressing than typical and yet still get dressing in every bite.

When the bread or chip basket is brought to the table, if we're dining alone we ask them to take it away. If we're dining with others, we ask our dinner partners to keep it on their side of the table if they don't mind. We've never had anyone mind.

It just takes a change in habits and mindset. We're choosing to eat healthier & feel much better for it. I'm still a long way from my goal but slowly but surely I'll get there.
Stacie

Quote:
could some of you please list your eating plans honestly. I am trying to re learn how to eat. I am trying to relearn how to add carbs back and some of the enjoyable ones , with staying on a 1200 calorie diet. Thanks so much.

I am curious if any of you eat oatmeal, popcorn, and foods with carbs that are just not veggies? I am trying to get me a new plan. I just cant take meat and eggs anymore!!! Its all starting to backfire. Thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss